2018 Winter Olympic Games Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

when the Canadian goalie gave up such an easy goal on the USA breakaway to tie the game, I thought uh oh, hope this doesn't go to shootout.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another Gold and Silver in Women's Ski Cross bringing our total to 26 tying with Vancouver in 2010 for the most ever.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

make that 27 thanks to Kaitlyn O in figure skating
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada trailing Germany 3-1 in the 2nd period in men's hockey semi final.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Now 4-1
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kevin Poulin surrendered 4 goals on only 13 shots.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada gets an early goal in the 3rd goal to narrow the score to 4-2
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Power play goal has now narrowed the score to 4-3
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada falls 4-3 to the underdog Germans. Totally dominated the 3rd period outshooting them 14-1 but couldn't get the equalizer. Canada now plays for the Bronze.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:37 am
Canada falls 4-3 to the underdog Germans. Totally dominated the 3rd period outshooting them 14-1 but couldn't get the equalizer. Canada now plays for the Bronze.
:shock: Team Germany is a team to reckon with. They've got my respect and I will hope they can capture the gold now they've earned it. Though unlike many silver medalists, even if they don't I'm sure they will be happy with silver given the fact that they were not expected to get this far. They actually won bronze before in 1932 and 1976. I wonder if in the future there will be lots of Germans in the NHL.

Let's see if Canada avenge the loss to the Czech Republic and salvage the bronze medal.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

ls it just me or has the Men's Olympic Hockey Tourney lost much of it's cachet? If this was a war between the OAC and the NHL, I have to think that the NHL made a very salient point this Olympics. Our result is disappointing for sure but the hockey itself has been a shadow of recent previous tournaments.

One the other hand, some great and very bad Olympics for Canada. Shut out of medals in Curling? When did that last happen? Never in the current era is the answer. Women not even making it to medal round? Ouch. If the Men's hockey team loses the Bronze Medal Game, then that will mean 1 medal in two sports where generally we rule. There are going to be some questions about that. On the other hand, we are doing quite well in the medal count. It's a pity there will be a bit of a "What If" attached to it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is not a bad result, so far.

Prior to Own the Podium, it seems to me we did not get many medals.

Now the template for success is pretty well set. Third is good. Ahead of the USA and the Netherlands, two strong Winter Olumpics countries.

2018-02-23_1303.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I agree, not a bad result but Norway is country of 5.5 million give or take. So clearly there is a possibility of doing better. I am encouraged to see how team Canada has been steadily improving since the 1988 Winter Olympics. We incidentally tied Norway in medals at that time, neither winning a gold. So yes, a big step forward from that time but there can be no mistaking a hint of "lost opportunity" with the results in Curling and Hockey.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:39 pm
I agree, not a bad result but Norway is country of 5.5 million give or take. So clearly there is a possibility of doing better. I am encouraged to see how team Canada has been steadily improving since the 1988 Winter Olympics. We incidentally tied Norway in medals at that time, neither winning a gold. So yes, a big step forward from that time but there can be no mistaking a hint of "lost opportunity" with the results in Curling and Hockey.
Shocking results in curling and hockey. Usually good for 4 medals, oftentimes of gold.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:47 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 pm
Canada loses 3-2 on a shootout. Poor line change resulted in the Americans tying the game in the 3rd period.
Jocelyne Larocque immediately removed her silver medal.
But no, she didn't throw it in the stands. Maybe she should if she's so angry about that medal. At least it will make an audience member very happy. Or, maybe she should offer to trade for the bronze medal from a player from Team Finland. Now, it will make both sides happy as the Finnish player will get a nice upgrade, and Larocque would been happier winning the bronze medal like all bronze medalists.
Jocelyne Larocque has since apologized to the media.

But it's never good to stereotype any group, including people from a particular nation as there's too many exceptions left and right to disprove any strong claim. According to a Yahoo Sports Reporter:

Canadians are known for being nice and polite and things like that. Even hockey players most of the time. So, if Larocque wants to apologize, she is free to apologize.

:hmm:
Well, maybe I haven't traveled to enough countries and interacted with the locals enough to conclude that citizens from other countries can be rude and impolite.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。