2018 World Juniors

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:44 pm
Wow, that's a first. The Swedish captain just took off his silver medal and threw it across the glass wall to the stands. Someone in the audience caught it and I'm sure that will be a much better souvenir than a hockey puck that goes into the stands.

I know it's a repeat so many times, but it's worth mentioning again. Despite a demotion from 1st to 3rd, Team America are much more ecstatic with their bronze medalist than the crying Team Sweden players with their silver medals.
one of the differences is that when you win the bronze, you won your last game. To win the silver you have to lose the last game.

also, after losing the semi-final, you have time to get your emotion into check before being awarded a lessor medal.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow. Just Wow.

Such intensity.

Great team play. Size. Speed. Talent.

I won't rip the Swedish kid too much. They are kids. They pore everything into it. Bad move though. Not condoned. He has tenacity. But one has to learn to acknowledge some defeats, not necessarily accept them. He could have a good NHL career.

The man who got it gave it back. :thup:

Beautiful Canadian team. I recall a time when Canadian hockey was shocked at the talent around the world. We adjusted. Adjusted. Now we focus on the necessary stuff. Skills. Skating. Teamwork.

And ... sportsmanship. Very Canadian. Very happy.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Wow, that's a first. The Swedish captain just took off his silver medal and threw it across the glass wall to the stands.
Pretty classless move in my opinion.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very entertaining game. The only Canadian forward not to score in this tournament comes up big with his first goal.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Ray Ferraro who knows these junior players was unimpressed and while saying they're kids still, he wouldn't excuse that medal being tossed.

Those crying Swedes need to grow up and I'm a bit shocked that their coaches hadn't spoken to them about the conduct they must exhibit in a tourney like that.

Some cheap shots when they knew they were done - but I suspect Canada would have done a few like that if they were going down to defeat.

Overall it was a great game!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:25 pm
Robbie wrote:
Wow, that's a first. The Swedish captain just took off his silver medal and threw it across the glass wall to the stands.
Pretty classless move in my opinion.
Classless, a little but they kind of listed the number of second place finishes and disappointments that that particular team has gone through. There were at least three of them. It is easy to forget he is a kid still and very frustrated. And at the end of the day, it is his medal to do with as he pleases. It might have been a little less provoking if instead of throwing it into the stands, he had sought out a Swedish fan, perhaps a child and had given it to them if he really didn't want it. Or auction it off for charity back in Sweden. I'm not bothered by it. Finishing 2nd all the time must get real old real fast.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.