Official Olympic Discussion Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: Doesn't really matter what I think but I do think the honour should have gone to Rosie. Yes, Christine showed a lot of skill and leadership. I'm not sure how other countries choose their flag-bearer. Considering the gold medal is the best given and we only had one gold medaller, Rosie should have carried the flag, IMO. Sinclair was a great choice also though. IIRC, this was the first medal Canada had gotten in a team sport in decades...... (during a summer olympics)
I would have had no problem with McLennan as flag bearer.

I have a bit of a problem with the choice of Sinclair. it disrespects McLennan and her gold, although unintentionally. It rewards a phenomenal athlete who verbally attacked a stupid referee. And yet sometimes I suppose you have to speak out.

It raises soccer over trampoline. LOL Much of the world saw the soccer. Very few saw the trampoline.

It's a close call but I would have gone with McLennan.

It raises team sport over individual. It raises high profile sport over anonymous sport.

I have admired Christine Sinclair since she was a teen. Not sure this is the right way to recognize her.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Or perhaps they felt that Rosie MacLennan is still relatively young and she can be the flag bearer in the 2016 Olympics, while it remains to be seen as to whether Christine Sinclair will be back in 2016 so they might as well give the honour to her first.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wonder if team canada was trying to thumb their noses at IOC by selecting sinclair?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Or perhaps they felt that Rosie MacLennan is still relatively young and she can be the flag bearer in the 2016 Olympics, while it remains to be seen as to whether Christine Sinclair will be back in 2016 so they might as well give the honour to her first.
I fully expect Sinclair to be at the World's in 2015, so her 2016 decision may come regarding her and her teams play in that tournament. Add in the result from this Olympics and you have to think that she knows there was a better result left on the table that is achievable.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Has anyone seen Jacques Rogge smile ? He seems so glum all the time
That is in the nature of the Swiss people. Serious. Serious justice system. Serious credentials for anything. Serious relationships. SERIOUS.
Jacques Rogge is from Belgium
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sinclair set an Olympic for number of goals scored in the tournament
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Has anyone seen Jacques Rogge smile ? He seems so glum all the time
That is in the nature of the Swiss people. Serious. Serious justice system. Serious credentials for anything. Serious relationships. SERIOUS.
Jacques Rogge is from Belgium
Can't blame it on the Swiss then. In some pictures he has a smile.

In repose he looks tres serieuse. The new Republican VP candidate, Paul Ryan is like that, serious and glum looking when not smiling.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:If you think the Olympics are bad and it is all so cynical, don't follow pro sports or even amateur sports with all their politics!
Thanks for that suggestion Toppy.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Certainly a huge homecoming at YVR for the Canadian Olympic athletes - much larger than when the Lions came home after the 2000 and 2006 GC wins.

In the comments on this Province article, there's definitely a lot of complaints about Christine Sinclair being the flag bearer over Rosie MacLennan.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Christi ... story.html
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

what do you all think of this

simply disgusting. as a canadain, I am ashamed. she should never be allowed to play for team canada again

there should be no doubt in anyones mind that this was intentional.
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:what do you all think of this

simply disgusting. as a canadain, I am ashamed. she should never be allowed to play for team canada again

many things happen on the field of play, while this doesn't exactly shed all the light on what had happened to that point, Tancredi's style of play is exactly what the Canadians needed, sans the foot to the head of course. Now I am not sold on Tancredi doing that intentially, but neither am I going to suggest that it wasn't. Stuff happens, take a number and deal with it later.
Rammer
Team Captain

On the positive side of the Oly's....
Athletics Canada ‏@AthleticsCanada

Jared Connuaghton awarded Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... e-584.html … @jncoolc
Retweeted by Farhan Lalji
Also, London Olympics stuff for sale here...http://memorabilia.london2012.com/allau ... ionLanding
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:

many things happen on the field of play, while this doesn't exactly shed all the light on what had happened to that point, Tancredi's style of play is exactly what the Canadians needed, sans the foot to the head of course. Now I am not sold on Tancredi doing that intentially, but neither am I going to suggest that it wasn't. Stuff happens, take a number and deal with it later.
and yet, if a USA player had done exactly the same thing to a canadian, would your tone be as accepting and forgiving??
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Rammer wrote:

and yet, if a USA player had done exactly the same thing to a canadian, would your tone be as accepting and forgiving??
Perhaps not, but after this length of time and the Canadians had won the Gold Medal, more than likely.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

well, if I was the victim of such an act, I would be looking to arrange a special one on one meeting, in private. Only one person walks away.