Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Enjoyed the NFL games I caught but I didn't see a lot due to the CFL DoubleDip.

Surprised Seattle beat the DaBears. Close on the scoreboard, don't know how the game played out. Seattle seems to be a Jeykll/Hyde team. Losing to the Rams but beating the Chargers for e.g. You can tell how they are playing by watching the Coach/Players on the sideline. If they are jumping around like giddy children Christmas Morning, they are winning.

Vikings beat Dallas in what the announcers termed the Panic-bowl. Cowboys look done. This was suppossed to be the big year, followed by a strong playoff run, culminating in a homefield Superbowl win. Not gonna happen.

The Colts outlasted the Redskins in the nightcap. Key turnovers kept the stat that matters closer than the game seemed to be. Without those turnovers that lead to short fields for the skins, I think this game would have been over by the mid-3rd Quarter (some would say so anyway).
Cowboys lose. To anyone. :thup: Use to love 'em. Not since Jerry fired Jimmy.

Cam Wake gets 3 sacks. Whoo Hooooooo
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I have NFL network now so I get to hear a lot of extra NFL coverage now.

What is amazing (IMO) is both the Chargers and Cowboys are doing well according to the stats but they keep losing. I think Dallas is #2 defence and #4 offence--not what you think of a 1-4 football team. But special teams and penalties seem to be what keep these teams losing in spite of highly rated offences/defences.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I have NFL network now so I get to hear a lot of extra NFL coverage now.

What is amazing (IMO) is both the Chargers and Cowboys are doing well according to the stats but they keep losing. I think Dallas is #2 defence and #4 offence--not what you think of a 1-4 football team. But special teams and penalties seem to be what keep these teams losing in spite of highly rated offences/defences.
Poor Wade Phillips. By most accounts, a nice guy, working for an ego maniac, in a killer market. Getting the most out of players is a mysterious art. As we have locally.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Strange day for the NFL.

IMO, Steelers/BigBen snuck out of Florida with a win. Ben fumbled late into the endzone and the Dolphins seemed to recover. But because its called a TD on the field and the Dolphin recovery was not confirmed via replay--Steelers live upto their name and kick the field goal. Admittedly the 'fins should have been able to drive and kick a late FG to win but they did not.

Saints get blown out @ home by the Browns? Highlight shows say so but I'm still not sure.

Seahawks won at home over the Cardinals, probably least strange result of the day.

Oakland Raiders score 59 Points! What were they playing the Washington Generals in a game of basketball? Nope, and it leaves me wondering how much longer in Broncoland.

Brett Favre had a tough game, IMO, in Green Bay. Close game but both QB's have had better games, to be sure. Oh well, maybe Brett will win next years trip to Green Bay :wink:

Well, if the Monday Nighter fits the games so far, Dallas will win by 40 points and committing no penalties. It is strange watching good numbers teams like SanDiego/Dallas keep losing. Both are highly ranked in offence and defence and they have 3 wins between them......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Jerry Jones must be furious. A 1-5 start to a Superbowl hosting season! Now Romo's out with a major injury and Kitna will have to be the leader of 'Americas Team'. I haven't got a clue who will play in this years Superbowl. Patriots, Jets, Steelers have good records but theres lots of season left.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Jerry Jones must be furious. A 1-5 start to a Superbowl hosting season! Now Romo's out with a major injury and Kitna will have to be the leader of 'Americas Team'. I haven't got a clue who will play in this years Superbowl. Patriots, Jets, Steelers have good records but theres lots of season left.
Saw it on TV while I was in a restaurant. I think Dallas was ahead at the time.

Too funny. 1 and 5. About as good as seeing the Eskmos lose. Ha ha ...

The Giants have a strong running game, and Eli plays sortof like that other Peyton guy.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I spent two weeks in Tokyo and it sounds like there have been some shakeups here/there.

Before I left the Vikings were said to be said with Randy Moss returning to help that first ballot hall of famer QB take things to the next level. Now apparently he's been waived and is playing for Jeff Fisher and the Titans. :shock: Strange to say the least. And Moss is hoping to land a big contract in the offseason? Oh yeah this is the NFL, he'll be fine, I'm sure.

Wade Phillips finally got his pink slip. Apparently the lockerroom chatter is Garrett is doing a better job. Good point made on NFL network is Garrett's been there as OC, why hadn't these adjustments been made earlier? Jerry Jones must be :bang:

The Seahawks/Raiders are two teams I'm kinda partial to. Seahawks due to being close to Seattle and Raiders due to their rebel like persona they had twentyish years ago. So the Raiders destroyed the Seahawks! And the Seahawks lost in a rout the next week too. The NFL does seem to be a little unpredictable this season (IMO). The only team that seems to be turning things around is the Saints.

The next three weeks of NFL is pretty much moot for me. I'll catch the Monday/Thursday and Sunday night games. But obviously the next three Sundays are for the most part CFL days.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Vikings can Childress. Young's act gets old. And the Steelers are one thing that makes sense.

The Seattle Seahawks lead their division with a record of 5-5. I guess I should be happy but ...

I would have liked to see the Brady/Manning game (sorry Pats/Colts) but CFL football is my priority of course. Manning is still an awesome quarterback but it seems like he's more human ever since he threw that late pick at the Superbowl. I don't see them back at the Superbowl but thats me.

This is a week of football, IMO. May get to catch the full days slate of games Thursday. Of course I'll miss some of the Sunday action due to Riders/Al's.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:And the Steelers are one thing that makes sense.

I would have liked to see the Brady/Manning game (sorry Pats/Colts) but CFL football is my priority of course. Manning is still an awesome quarterback but it seems like he's more human ever since he threw that late pick at the Superbowl. I don't see them back at the Superbowl but thats me.
I've liked the Steelers since the days of Chuck Noll.

Bill Cowher also a helluva coach. Wouldn't want to get one of those Cowher showers they talk about.

And now Mike Tomlin.

How good is that? Gheez can they ever find the coaches. Amazing.

I like Peyton Manning. Hard to feel sorry for a guy with all that success, talent, family blood lines, money and fame however. Ha ha
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Patriots started slow but won in a walk.
Saints started fast but had to rely on the D to steal the ball and then the O drove for a win.
I thought the Jets would blow away the Bengals but thats why they play the games.

A mid-week fix of football. Going to be my NFL for the week due to the Grey Cup Sunday.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

So while I'm watching Cavillo lead the Al's to a two-peat, Peyton Manning is chucking 4 :shock: INTS! Oh my. Somehow the Colts are still leading their division. I guess the playoffs are all that matters but this team has got to get playing better football if they plan to play in Dallas.

I think its early to be whining about the NFC West. Currently the Rams are in at 5-6 while two 7-3 teams are currently out of the playoff picture. There is still lots of football to be played and I think the Seahawks are going to win the division. Yes they may get in with an 8-8 record but so what. An 11-5 Patriots team missed the playoffs just a couple of seasons ago, IIRC. I like the division system in the NFL. Yes, there are blips in the system but is it worth fixing? Probably not, IMO.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well apparently Derek Anderson had a meltdown during the post-game press conference. A reporter was talking about a point late in the game where the Cardinals are trailing by three touchdowns and it seems Anderson is laughing/joking on the sidelines. Well it appeared he was. The reporter wouldn't let it go and therefore Anderson yelled a bit and then stomped off. I think these things come with the territory. If you want to be a starting QB in the NFL you need to be able to take this kind of criticism. The Cardinals are stinking bad this season. I don't doubt Anderson puts in INSANE hours watching video and preparing for games. But it is also his job to represent his team as the QB. Save the jokes and funny tales for when the cameras are not rolling. This is a battle he can't win, IMO. But it was fun watching his meltdown nonetheless. I'm guessing he's a sourpuss from now on, even if the Cardinals are winning in a romp.
Last edited by notahomer on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

[youtube][/youtube]
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Peyton is looking really ordinary. His stats were not terrible except for the interceptions.

BigBen was able to lead the Steelers to a grind em out win over the Ravens.

The so-called Monday Nigher dream matchup Jets/Patriots was anything but. My pick was Brady and the Patriots but I thought it would be a closer matchup.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

do you guys do the nfl redzone? its addictive. I know I should pick one game and follow it to respect the strategy of the match but the redzone gets hopping in the morning when they follow 8 games at once.