Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

By IAN MACDONALD, Freelance December 4, 2009

Favourites posted a winning record for the first time in five weeks, going 10-6 in Week 12. Home teams were 9-7, while home underdogs were 2-3. It should be noted that four favourites won their games last week, but failed to cover the spread. The Bengals were favoured by 14 points, but only beat the Browns 16-7; the Eagles, favoured by nine, beat the Redskins 27-24; the Titans, favoured by 3 1/2, nipped the Cardinals 20-17; while the Falcons, favoured by 12, beat the Buccaneers 20-17. Double-digit favourites were 4-2 last week. Here's a look at Week 13:

Sunday

Broncos (-5) at Chiefs

The Broncos showed last week that they can beat a supposed contender. With only a smidgen of the skills used to beat the Giants, they should run and hide. Take Broncs.

Raiders (+14) at Steelers

With QB Ben Roethlisberger questionable (concussion), RB Rashard Mendenhall will get many carries against the Raiders, who are 31st in rush defence. Take Steelers.

Texans (pick) at Jaguars

The Jaguars are in playoff contention, but have little room for error. They are working to improve a pass rush that ranks last in the league. Carefully ... Take Jags.

Titans (+7) at Colts

Titans QB Vince Young has drawn praise from Colts QB Peyton Manning. The Colts' last five wins have been by a total of 18 points. Take Titans.

Eagles (-5 1/2) at Falcons

The Eagles' last two wins have been by a combined seven points. All five of the Falcons' losses have been on the road. Simply because of the points ... Take Falcons.

Lions (+13) at Bengals

Rookie Lions tight-end Brandon Pettigrew has been compared with some of the all-time greats, but he's done for the season (knee). There goes any chance of this being close. Take Bengals.

Saints (-10) at Redskins

The memory of the Saints toying with the Patriots last week makes this look like just another step in an unbeaten season. The spread is high for a road team, but deserving. Take Saints.

Bucs (+6 1/2) at Panthers

Josh Freeman, the Bucs' QB of the future, completed passes to eight receivers in a 20-17 loss at Atlanta last week. The Bucs are 0-5 on the road and the point spread isn't enough. Take Panthers.

Rams (+9) at Bears

"We're not playing like a good team," Rams DE Alex Brown says. If Bears QB Jay Cutler hits the right coloured jerseys, this one won't be close. Take Bears.

Chargers (-13) at Browns

Two regulars on the Browns' defence are out for this game and it's difficult to see how they can slow down the Chargers. Take Chargers.

49ers (pick) at Seahawks

The 49ers have only one road win this season, but all their games have been close. Discipline will keep them close in this one. Take 49ers.

Vikings (-4) at Cardinals

The Vikes have QB legend Brett Favre and RB Adrian Peterson, and play first-class defence. Take Vikings.

Cowboys (-2) at Giants

"America's Team" has been "America's Tease," with the Cowboys going 1-3 last December. QB Tony Romo has matured. Take Cowboys.

Patriots (-3) at Dolphins

You would think the Pats' practices this week haven't been much fun. The Dolphins are a fun team, but this game might not be much for them. Take Patriots.

Monday

Ravens (+3) at Packers

The Ravens' OT win last week showed their defence has improved. This will be tough, but the Ravens can stay close. Take Ravens.

Record vs. spread: Last week, 11-5; overall: 96-79-1.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Broncos (-5) at Chiefs

The Broncos showed last week that they can beat a supposed contender. With only a smidgen of the skills used to beat the Giants, they should run and hide. Take Broncs.
Broncos
Titans (+7) at Colts

Titans QB Vince Young has drawn praise from Colts QB Peyton Manning. The Colts' last five wins have been by a total of 18 points. Take Titans.
Titans beat the spread
Saints (-10) at Redskins

The memory of the Saints toying with the Patriots last week makes this look like just another step in an unbeaten season. The spread is high for a road team, but deserving. Take Saints.
Saints
Vikings (-4) at Cardinals

The Vikes have QB legend Brett Favre and RB Adrian Peterson, and play first-class defence. Take Vikings.
Vikings
Patriots (-3) at Dolphins

You would think the Pats' practices this week haven't been much fun. The Dolphins are a fun team, but this game might not be much for them. Take Patriots.
Dolphins beat the spread
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

NFL Spreads 12/6 - 12/7, 2009

Date & Time Favorite Spread Underdog
12/6 1:00 ET Denver -4.5 At Kansas City
12/6 1:00 ET At Pittsburgh -14.5 Oakland
12/6 1:00 ET At Jacksonville PK Houston
12/6 1:00 ET At Indianapolis -6.5 Tennessee
12/6 1:00 ET Philadelphia -5.5 At Atlanta
12/6 1:00 ET At Cincinnati -13 Detroit
12/6 1:00 ET New Orleans -9.5 At Washington
12/6 1:00 ET At Carolina -5.5 Tampa Bay
12/6 1:00 ET At Chicago -9 St. Louis
12/6 4:05 ET San Diego -13.5 At Cleveland
12/6 4:15 ET At Seattle PK San Francisco
12/6 8:20 ET Minnesota -3 At Arizona
12/6 4:15 ET Dallas -2.5 At NY Giants
12/6 1:00 ET New England -4 At Miami

Monday Night Football Point Spread

12/7 8:35 ET At Green Bay -3 Baltimore

PK = Pick... No favorite, no underdog... A point spread of zero.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It was a close call against the Washington Redskins, but the New Orleans Saints made it to 12-0, as did the Indianapolis Colts.

Who thinks both teams will make it to 16-0?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
By IAN MACDONALD, Freelance December 4, 2009

Record vs. spread: Last week, 11-5; overall: 96-79-1.

MacDonalds doing better than I am in the picks this season. My best week I went 13-3 but other weeks there seem to be lots of upsets. I know it probably is same as always. Like I'm 0-1 so far this week. The Steelers have had it tough but I just didn't see the Browns beating them :dizzy: I know football has all these tired cliches but 'thats why they play the games'.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Saints will not have a purrfect 16-0 season.

Let's see about the Indianapolis Colts.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Have not enjoyed the NFL playoffs much to this point. The Packers/Cards tilt has been the best of the bunch, with yesterdays Chargers/Jets being the only other Non-blowout. This weeks games (divisional) have a history (in my memory, anyway) of not being that great but the Wildcard Weekend usually does a better job of living upto its name. Even the Packers looked like they were going to get blown out to start. Oh well, one Sunday left of 6+ hours of football. Then we'll see if the Superbowl lives up to its recent past of being a decent game. Otherwise thats it until Lions get going again.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I was a great fan of the Chicago Bears of Mike Ditka and Buddy Ryan. I especially liked the 46 defence as I have blogged about on this site.

So I am happy to see Buddy's son, Rex, doing so well with the upstart Jets. The Jets have Doug Plank on staff, after whom the 46 defence is named. It is a very, very aggressive D. I wish our Lions had more of that attitude on D. Attack, attack, attack.

Jets vs Colts.

Vikings vs Saints.

It's not bad stuff. But it's time to start hearing more about the upcoming CFL season.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With the conference finals established:

Sunday, January 24, 2010
AFC: New York Jets at Indianapolis Colts
NFC: Minnesota Vikings at New Orleans Saints

Among the final four, neither the Vikings nor the Saints have captured the Super Bowl before, while the Jets haven't won it since Super Bowl III and the Vikings have settled as a runner-up four times.

And all four teams have cheerleaders, which means that for the first time in five years, both finalists will have cheerleaders at the Super Bowl. :wink:
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm picking the Colts to beat the Jets and Saints to beat the Vikings, and I think the Saints win the Superbowl.

And should the Vikings lose that means my favourite topic of "will he or won't he" will be contemplated again. However, officially I'd like to state I'm retiring from discussing #4's retirement status (hold me to it). My next comments about Favre will be what a great speech he gave at Canton.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

After the conference finals but before the Super Bowl, there's another game in between. For the first time ever, the Pro Bowl will be played BEFORE the Super Bowl, and for the first time since 1979, it won't be played in Hawaii as it will be held at Dolphin Stadium in Miami. This also means that the players from the two finalist teams will not be playing in the Pro Bowl. But just the same, unlike all the previous attempts for an all-star game in the CFL, the Pro Bowl has been sold out.
祝你龍年行大運。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I'm picking the Colts to beat the Jets and Saints to beat the Vikings, and I think the Saints win the Superbowl.

And should the Vikings lose that means my favourite topic of "will he or won't he" will be contemplated again. However, officially I'd like to state I'm retiring from discussing #4's retirement status (hold me to it). My next comments about Favre will be what a great speech he gave at Canton.
I like Peyton, of course. But the Jets have caught my attention. I love the way they play defence. Shades of the old Chicago Bears 46 defence. Doug Plank (46) now coaches with the Jets. The way the Jets play D is how I wish Wally would move the Lions towards. Aggressive, attack, at all times. Mixing it up. People not inclined to play that way always say: "Oh we don't have the personnel to play that way." Baloney. It's an attitude more than anything. John Wooden in NCAA basketball at UCLA did not always have the best athletes, but they played full court zone D all the time.

Vikings slight fave over the Saints for me.

Super Bowl. Don't really care. Vikings with Favre would be cool though.

Favre annoyed me also with his: yes, no, yes, no indecisiveness. But it looks like he wasn't just messing around. With a guy like that one might as well just give him his leeway.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:But just the same, unlike all the previous attempts for an all-star game in the CFL, the Pro Bowl has been sold out.
That sounds like a dig, Robbie. You dissin' the CFL?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Robbie wrote:But just the same, unlike all the previous attempts for an all-star game in the CFL, the Pro Bowl has been sold out.
That sounds like a dig, Robbie. You dissin' the CFL? Grrrrrrrr
Why, do you want to resurrect the all-star game?

Check out:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11269

for previous discussions on it.
祝你龍年行大運。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
That sounds like a dig, Robbie. You dissin' the CFL? Grrrrrrrr
Why, do you want to resurrect the all-star game?

Check out:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11269

for previous discussions on it.
Who said anything about resurrecting it?

I'm chiding you for pointing out the success of the NFL vs the CFL for Pro Bowl or All-Star games.

You might as well point out the relative finances of the leagues, the size of the stadiums, the sales of merchandise, the size of the viewing audiences, or the size of the player contracts. And that would not earn you any credits either.

CFL fans love their game, and don't give a dayum about any of the business/financial statistics of the NFL.

Do you even go to Lions' games Robbie? Or watch the CFL on TV?