Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: The officiating had its problems again. Bottom line is the regular officials are put in a process that makes them the best for NFL games. The replacements are doing the best they can but its just not good enough, IMO. Apparently the NFL and its regular officials are not near reaching a settlement.
I didn't watch any of the games.

But it seems to me such a wealthy league should just pay it's officials. Their salaries are tiny in the big scheme of things.

The Ravens change coaches, but as long as Ray Lewis there, they remain tough.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: I didn't watch any of the games.

But it seems to me such a wealthy league should just pay it's officials. Their salaries are tiny in the big scheme of things.

The Ravens change coaches, but as long as Ray Lewis there, they remain tough.
....I definately agree the wealthy league can afford to pay its otherwise top-notch officials. IMO, they are top notch in every way except in how they are being paid.

...Ray Lewis is still out there, still good enough to be a starting LBer. But you do see him getting pushed around and knocked around in ways I never thought I'd see him getting hit. This years edition of the Ravens really misses Suggs. Its like they thought 'pass rush' means taking a pass on rushing on a throwing down. The Ravens will get better when they get Suggs back on the line.....

Another NFL headshaker (but I guess Wally's been guilty of this too) is how they hamstring their players. The cut down on playbooks and don't have faith in QBs. There are a cherished few (Rodgers, Brady, Manning) that get to 'run' things and surprise, surprise they have success. I think some teams do too much 'protecting' of QB's so they don't hurt themselves. I don't mean protecting like pass blocking. I mean protecting in the sense of 'he's not good enough yet'. I'm sorry I don't think its that tough and I think QB's would mature faster by letting them make mistakes and learn from them. Okay, rant of the week, OVER.

Go Seahawks, make those Cheeseheads melt...........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OMG

There is the best evidence that the NFL should just pay the officials what they want.

Seattle, last play, end zone throw to beat the Packers. Tate, SeaHawk, pushes DB out of the way, no call, then the other DB catches the ball, goes to the ground, Tate gets his hands on the ball on the way down, the same official that missed the interference calls TD. LOL Worst non call and TD call I have ever seen. LOL

Totally makes the NFL look bush league. Totally bush league.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:OMG

There is the best evidence that the NFL should just pay the officials what they want.

Seattle, last play, end zone throw to beat the Packers. Tate, SeaHawk, pushes DB out of the way, no call, then the other DB catches the ball, goes to the ground, Tate gets his hands on the ball on the way down, the same official that missed the interference calls TD. LOL Worst non call and TD call I have ever seen. LOL

Jennings makes a selfish decision in going for the pic instead of swatting the ball away. Pics equal dollars at year end. looks good on him. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't usually watch MNF but tuned in for a while tonight. My God, the officiating was **********
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I AM A SEAHAWKS fan. Of the NFL teams they are the ones I cheer. That being said, they STOLE a win with the help of the officials tonight. Yes, WCJ, the last play was probably the BEST evidence but this game was filled with bad calls going in both teams favours. BUT, the last play was the worst. The regular officials should send Golden Tate a bottle of wine as thanks for proving how much the regular zebras are missed.

There was some amazing stuff that went on in this game that will probably get lost in the officiating, perhaps as it should considering the wrong team got the two points. In the first half the Seahawks got 8 sacks (ended with nine maybe ten). ExCfler, Brandon Browner is one nasty dude. Tried to take Jennings head off with a head shot. Methinks he's getting a fine and/or suspension.

This is a turning point for the NFL. It really does look bush based on this games ending. Officials do end up having to make calls that are debateable every week but these replacement officials just have shown how well the regular guys are at doing their jobs. I know Pete Carroll would probably never admit it but I kinda hope he admits they got away with one tonight. No matter what the Seahawks were still able to send the NFL teams a message. This ain't the 7-9 Division Winner Seahawks of a few seasons ago. They've 'gotten credit' for beating the Cowboys and the Packers so far and their loss to the Cardinals (one of the three unbeaten teams left) came down to the last play too. I don't see the Hawks making the playoffs but I think it will be a more exciting game of football to be played. I'm just hoping they win their next game fair/square.........
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WOW just WOW. Just went back and watched the last few minutes. That same official who missed the interference on the last play and signalled a touchdown is the same one who made that ridiculous pass interference call on Shields earlier in the quarter that gave the Hawks a 1st down on 2nd and like 37. That was the one where Gruden said he wanted to jump out of the press box.

That official must be a season ticket holder. LOL

Absolute bush league.
Tighthead
Legend

This shi#storm doesn't happen with Tagliabue at the helm.

Goodell has been a hard-liner on everything since he came in. I would imagine tomorrow that he no longer has the support of the owners on this one.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:

I AM A SEAHAWKS fan. Of the NFL teams they are the ones I cheer. That being said, they STOLE a win with the help of the officials tonight. Yes, WCJ, the last play was probably the BEST evidence but this game was filled with bad calls going in both teams favours. BUT, the last play was the worst. The regular officials should send Golden Tate a bottle of wine as thanks for proving how much the regular zebras are missed.

There was some amazing stuff that went on in this game that will probably get lost in the officiating, perhaps as it should considering the wrong team got the two points. In the first half the Seahawks got 8 sacks (ended with nine maybe ten). ExCfler, Brandon Browner is one nasty dude. Tried to take Jennings head off with a head shot. Methinks he's getting a fine and/or suspension.

This is a turning point for the NFL. It really does look bush based on this games ending. Officials do end up having to make calls that are debateable every week but these replacement officials just have shown how well the regular guys are at doing their jobs. I know Pete Carroll would probably never admit it but I kinda hope he admits they got away with one tonight. No matter what the Seahawks were still able to send the NFL teams a message. This ain't the 7-9 Division Winner Seahawks of a few seasons ago. They've 'gotten credit' for beating the Cowboys and the Packers so far and their loss to the Cardinals (one of the three unbeaten teams left) came down to the last play too. I don't see the Hawks making the playoffs but I think it will be a more exciting game of football to be played. I'm just hoping they win their next game fair/square.........
I like what I see from Pete Carroll's Seahawks.

But I was actually rooting very mildly for the Packers.

Ballistic Bob points out the DB should have batted the ball away. In some cases, Yes. With all the guys around, though, and the ball in his hands, arms and body, LOL I think he did the right thing. Just got robbed is all.

I recall Peter Uberroth, MLB commissioner, opened the owners' books in a dispute with the players, and in another dispute with the officials just said, pay them. Excellent decision. The money the officials make is chump change in their financial world. Hire the best, and pay them virtually what they want, and they will still be underpaid.

The official from the SeaHawks game should be dismissed. He swallowed his whistle on the interference, and then blew the call on the ground. Totally incompetent. The SeaHawks could quietly put him on their payroll as an advisor.

:wink:

How to make a multi multi billion dollar league look bush league? Hire replacement officials instead of honoring your long time pros.

How purrfect was it when George Bush "owned" a baseball team with OPM, other peoples' money? Bush league. :wink:

He wanted to be MLB commissioner. No way? OK, then, can I be president? You mean of the USA? OK ... He used his dad's connections, and the Republican Party machine took him and ran with him. So then he puts the world at war. D'oh ...
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I won't dispute the TD, the replay I had didn't really give me the whole shot but the PI was legit. If you look at the defenders left hand, he actually has a hold of the Seahawk receivers jersey. You actually see the jersey stretch out so it isn't just a hand on the player. Maybe it happens a dozen times a game maybe it was a cheap call but it was PI.

SammyGreene wrote:

WOW just WOW. Just went back and watched the last few minutes. That same official who missed the interference on the last play and signalled a touchdown is the same one who made that ridiculous pass interference call on Shields earlier in the quarter that gave the Hawks a 1st down on 2nd and like 37. That was the one where Gruden said he wanted to jump out of the press box.

That official must be a season ticket holder. LOL

Absolute bush league.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Front page, CNN news ...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/25/mo ... ?hpt=hp_c2
Monday Night Football ending brings more heat to replacement refs

The Seattle Seahawks beat the Green Bay Packers 14-12 Monday night in a game that ended with another controversial decision by the NFL's replacement officials that could increase the outcry to get the regular game officials back on the field.

The Seahawks, playing at home, trailed 12-7 before scoring their final touchdown on a 20-yard pass from Russell Wilson to Golden Tate in the end zone as the clock expired. On the play in the end zone, Packers defensive back M.D. Jennings appeared to intercept the pass and had both hands wrapped around the ball with the ball pulled into his chest. Tate, the Seattle receiver, had one arm on the ball as they fell to the ground. Two officials in the end zone gave competing signals; one signaled a touchdown and the other signaled a clock stoppage, indicating a change of possession and an interception.

The play was reviewed on video, but the play was ruled a touchdown.

In addition, before he made the catch in the end zone, Tate shoved Packers defender Sam Shields in the back, which would typically draw an offensive pass interference penalty.

"Those were two of the worst calls to end a game that I can recall," said ESPN broadcaster Jon Gruden, the former Super Bowl-winning coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

NFL games this season have been heavily scrutinized publicly, as the league is involved in a labor dispute with its officials and is using replacement officials in the games. Games in the first three weeks of the season have routinely seen numerous penalties and a seeming lack of control of games by the replacement officials.

Monday night's game will provide more fodder for critics of the replacement officials, many of whom - including NBA superstar LeBron James - took to Twitter in the immediate aftermath of the game.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Just watching this on CNN International. Shocking call - that was not a TD.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just curious, who does the replay review ? Does the league do it like the CFL or is the onfield officials ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yikes. A lot of money went in the wrong direction as a result of the missed call.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/09/25/n ... ed-td-call

Defender Bush in the end zone. How appropriate for a team shooting itself in the foot, unwilling to pay the regular officials what they deserve, Bush league. :wink:
An estimated $150 million worldwide changed hands as a result of the controversial final play in Monday night's NFL game between the Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers.

That's according to an ESPN.com report.

As well, about $15 million in Las Vegas alone switched hands, the report said.

The Packers were favoured by 3.5 points, and would have covered that spread had the last-play Hail Mary pass into the end zone been ruled an interception. Green Bay would have won 12-7.

But replacement officials ruled that Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate had simultaneous possession with Packers defensive back M.D. Jennings and, by rule, a tie goes to the offensive player.

Thus, Seattle won 14-12.