Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

274always
All Star

KnowItAll wrote:I wonder which team was paying number 10 wearing the san fran uniform. grrrr
He's apparently getting all kinds of death threats on twitter. i doubt that someone will actually carry it out, then they'd be considered third world mentality.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
274always
All Star

WestCoastJoe wrote::thup: Well, there you have it. Giants vs Patriots once again.

Eli Manning is a very special quarterback. 300+ yards. Sacked 6 times. Hit 20 times. Amazing.

And the guy with the Patriots, Tom Brady, ain't bad either. :wink: Although Joe Flacco may even have outplayed him in their game.

No David Tyee this time for the Giants, though, to pin the ball to his helmet with one hand to win the last time they met in the Super Bowl.
Tyree. and I stress that point only because I never get tired of seeing that play. never ever. thanks. :wink:

off to see Doug and Alexa who will be happy. Can't tell 'em I'm a Giants fan. :cool:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I thought Alex Smith had a poor game in trying to convert third down tries. Niners kind of self destructed. Harbaugh almost seems too intense.

Too intense is how Tom Coughlin used to look. He seems to be improving as time goes on. Helluva coach. The Mara family are superb owners, a lot like the Rooney family with the Steelers. Very patient.

Patriots really slayed a dragon in the Ravens, a very, very tough team. Flacco outperformed the expectations of many observers. Patriots showed some grit vs the Ravens.

The Giants may be one team that can slow down Gronkowski.

Blitzing doesn't seem to bother Eli Manning too much. 6 sacks. 20 hits and 316 yards. Victor Cruz has turned into quite the weapon.

Looking forward to a good game. Even match IMO ...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I like the Patriots new nickname the Boston TE Party (I didn't get it either at first). Refering to their liberal use of tightends. Poor Chad sees a ball every so often now.

I think another area where the NFL and CFL is similar (or any pro sport for that matter) is when you get hot. The 82 Canucks trip to the Finals, is another great example, IMO. Last year the Green Bay Packers got hot at just the right time and were able to win a Superbowl they clearly deserved to win. This year, the regular season would have said the same thing but alas, this years Packers were packing their golfclubs before we hit the conference championships. I think Vegas has the Pats as early favourites (+3 & 53 points on the over/under) but can their defence do enough? Not so sure. Giants are balanced, IMO. Can beat you throwing or pounding the ball. Turnovers? Who knows? There is no way Brady will have a worse game than the conference champioship. I think he'll rebound and play a lot better. Still think the Giants win, regardless. The only real question is what to have delivered pizza, italian or chinese? Bet Vegas does offer odds on that.

IIRC, this will count as a Man win in the Superbowl. There is a bet one can lay in Vegas on whether a Man or Beast will win the Superbowl (because of team names usually being either an animal or a group of men). Three groups of men (the 49ers, Giants, Patriots) made the conference finals versus one beast (Ravens).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bottom line is that Manning outplayed Smith. The latter completed how many passes ? 12 ?
274always
All Star

I'm just glad both of these teams are in it. I'm a Giants fan but whatever the outcome will be I'll be happy with it. :beauty:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:I'm just glad both of these teams are in it. I'm a Giants fan but whatever the outcome will be I'll be happy with it. :beauty:
Pretty how much how I'm looking at this years Superbowl. Last season was the exact opposite, Packers were the lesser of two evils, IMO. This year, I'll be glad regardless. The last Giants/Patriots Superbowl I was really rooting for the Giants as I wanted them to knock off the then-unbeaten Patriots. THis time around, no big deal. Big question for me every Superbowl is what to knosh on. Leaning towards BBQ from a local joint called MephisBlues but who knows may change my mind again before kickoff.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Patriots slight favourite ... 3 points.

That is the betting public, and the oddsmakers set the odds accordingly.

IMO the Giants have more going for them. Very, very tough defence. Strong running game. Excellent receivers. And an absolute top notch quarterback.

IMO the Patriots defence is smoke and mirrors. Talent is ordinary. Great coaching makes the team go. The top quarterback. Great receivers, although Gronkowski may be less than 100%. Good running game.

I greatly admire Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning. Great ownership with the Mara family. Kraft family is super with the Patriots also.

Nevertheless, I will be leaning slightly towards the Patriots in the game. They lost a tough one last time. I was hoping for the 19 - 0 season. And I greatly respect Belichick and Brady.

Should be a great game.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

holy pre game overkill
274always
All Star

OHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! GIANTS WIN!!! :yahoo:

Thank you Troy Trojans for giving us 2 superbowls with Umeniyora and Tynes. :beauty:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Eerily similar to the 2008 dustup. Eli is able to lead his team on a long drive, late in the game, including a unbelievable catch (just a notch below the 'helmet catch', IMO). Bradshaw was obviously suppossed to fall flat rather than tumble into the endzone but the result was all that matters. As per usual, the game came down to those five or so 'big' plays and that made all the difference. Turnovers? Big in a couple ways. Everytime the Gianst fumbled they were lucky enough to get on top or the one time they weren't the Patriots riderized themselves with a too many men penalty. IIRC, the only turnover was a Brady INT by a guy (Blackburn?) who was out of the league. Can't imagine going from subsitute teacher to Superbowl Champ in just a few weeks time but he did it. Well, this is it for the football until Lions training camp opens. Really like how the NFL seems to be becoming more of a passing league but CFL is always going to be my favourite brand of pigskin. Now I gotta count on Squire from Global to come through with showing some of those American Superbowl ads. They are usually fun to watch.........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Exciting finish.

Eli :thup:

Brady :thup:

Coughlin :thup:

Belichick :thup:

Near miracle play at the end.

Another amazing catch for the Giants.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Glad to see Boston didn't win another championship
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: Now I gotta count on Squire from Global to come through with showing some of those American Superbowl ads. They are usually fun to watch.........
They are all right here..............

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/46/commerc ... 5d826a0d8d
Lloyd
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
notahomer wrote: Now I gotta count on Squire from Global to come through with showing some of those American Superbowl ads. They are usually fun to watch.........
They are all right here..............

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/46/commerc ... 5d826a0d8d
THANKS!!!