Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:Joe Paterno apparently near death. Lung cancer taking a turn for the worst. Mixed blessing?
They just announced his death on 1040. What a difference a few months makes. Had he died in October he would have been remembered much differently at that time than he will be now. One wonders if the recent events in his life played some role in hastening his demise.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... ns_pis.php
Giants Fans Confused About Empire State Building ColorsBy Esther Zuckerman Sat., Jan. 21 2012 at 5:38 PM Comments (9) Categories: Esther Zuckerman, Football, New York Giants, Sports

​Last night the Empire State Building was lit up in red and yellow, to the sports ignorant, that fact would seem not that big of a deal. But for Giants fans something in that color scheme was awry: red and gold are the colors of the San Francisco 49ers, the team that the Giants will play for the National Football Conference championship Sunday. But NY1 reports it was just a misunderstanding.

The building was actually lit in the offending color scheme in anticipation of the year of the dragon, which begins Monday, not in an affront to Giants fans.

In confusion, Giants fans took to message boards. One thread was titled "Empire State Building ..... Lit in 49er colors?? WHAT THE @*&#?" Comments in that thread and another included the following:

•Time to paint the Golden Gate blue!
•Apparently it's because of the lunar new year (Chinese New Year) / Such poor timing
•Some funny business going on with the empire state building tonight. I read that Tyree will be lighting it blue tonight but on my way home and being that I have a constant view of the building due to where I live (Edgewater, NJ area), I see the red and gold and not the blue. Not pleased about this at all! Defintiely funny business going on.
Hmmmmm ... Sounds like hi-jinx.

An omen?

Separate idea ... Hard to believe but the cruise liner Costa Concordia, lying on its side by Giglio Island, is as big as a skyscraper, over 1000 feet long.
274always
All Star

omg if the giants lose they'll be talkin' about this one for a while.

finally a TD for the Pats and the Ravens. it was boring til then.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Head knocker of a game, Patriots vs Ravens.

Pats back in front 23 - 20 in the 4th.

I would say the Ravens offence is doing quite well, and their defence is as tough as always.

Ravens have 21 coaches, the Patriots 16. Yikes.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Wide left by Bill Cundiff after the Ravens almost won the game. :shock:

Valiant effort by Flacco and Ravens though in working hard in the end and scoring 10 points in the second half to take the lead, and after giving the ball away on downs late in the fourth still threatening to win the game or at least a tie in regulation.

----------------------------------

What do you think about the redesigned NFL Conference Championship trophies, actually introduced last season?

NFC - George S Halas Trophy

AFC - Lamar Hunt Trophy

Identical other than the conference logo at the front and the incriptions on the base.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

a rather disappointing win for this pats fan.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
274always
All Star

KnowItAll wrote:a rather disappointing win for this pats fan.
a win is a win is a win. and Doug will be happy tomorrow.

Nice catch there Mr. Cruuuz. Go Giants.

Nice TD Eli. All squared up now.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Enjoying both the conference championships games, so far. So, far this seasons playoffs have been underwhelming, IMO. Todays games, not so bad. Missed the 4th quarter of the Ravens/Pats game but caught the 'wide left'. :dizzy: Lewis has been sniffing around the Superbowl for years but he's only go one more ring than Marino.....

Betting the Giants hold on. The 49ers need some danishes (oops I mean turnovers) to win this one. Bad luck to have their colours show up in New York the DAY BEFORE Lunar New Year, I'm guessing..... :cool:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:the DAY BEFORE Lunar New Year
Speaking of which, a great Year of the Dragon!
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
274always
All Star

oh goody. overtime. more football. :cheer:

Giants recover a Williams fumble. Let's end this.

Yes!Yes!Yes! Super Bowl XLII rematch. :yahoo:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:thup: Well, there you have it. Giants vs Patriots once again.

Eli Manning is a very special quarterback. 300+ yards. Sacked 6 times. Hit 20 times. Amazing.

And the guy with the Patriots, Tom Brady, ain't bad either. :wink: Although Joe Flacco may even have outplayed him in their game.

No David Tyee this time for the Giants, though, to pin the ball to his helmet with one hand to win the last time they met in the Super Bowl.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Tough way for the 49ers to stumble out of the playoffs. Winning the turnover battle was their strength, until today....

Giants versus Patriots. My guess is the Giants pull out another win over the Patriots.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ex CFLer Lawrence Tyne kicks winning field goal for the Giants
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:omg if the giants lose they'll be talkin' about this one for a while.

finally a TD for the Pats and the Ravens. it was boring til then.
Much ado about nothing as it turns out
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wonder which team was paying number 10 wearing the san fran uniform. grrrr
Every day that passes is one you can't get back