Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

The Pro-Bowl is my favourite 'all-star' game. I love the CFL but I don't think it needs an all star game. I think one thing is every year there are some players that seem to come outta nowhere (Logan, Mallet)

I went to watch the Seahawks at Qwest Field. Of course the first guy I walked up to ask some questions about getting around the stadium turned out to be from White Rock! The only thing I found puzzling is NFL fans seem to like STANDING the entire game. Thats one thing I prefer about watching CFL football. The scoreboards @ Qwest are great for a footballjunkie like me, quite few states. Seahawk fans are dumb enough to do the wave while the team is on offense (or maybe they just didn't care due to this years season).

The Superbowl is just something I watch regardless of playing and I admit I watch it until its done, regardless of how awful it maybe. And it hasn't been bad the past few years, IMO.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Colts to win big; Peyton et al will make the Jets pay for blitzing and force Sanchez to throw the ball. Not good.

Saints to win big; #4 is due for a multiple INT game and Drew Brees is on fire.

Colts/Saints Superbowl = offensive fireworks.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great game ... 3rd quarter ... Colts take the lead 20 - 17 over the Jets.

Vintage Peyton Manning. No huddle offence.

The Jets are playing tough also.
nelson95
Legend

C'mon Jets. Beat the team you helped get into the playoffs
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I was hoping for upsets from both conference championships - the Jets finally getting more respect over the Giants, and Favre and the Vikings returning to the Super Bowl, but it was not to be. But great efforts nevertheless by the Jets and the Vikings for early leads in their respective games.

At least for Super Bowl, it's one against two.

Last edited by Robbie on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ugghhh

12 men in the huddle for the Vikings. D'oh.

Favre could have walked for 10 yards and instead throws another Int. D'oh.

He never gets the ball back.

Ah well. Good for the Ain'ts ... Errr ... Saints. New Orleans as a city gets its MoJo back.

In the Super Bowl I guess Archie will root for Peyton over his Saints. Strange position to be in.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

The question should be who will Favre sign with next August after his annual retirement?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The city of New Orleans must be extremely championship hungry. While the city hosted several championship events before such as the Super Bowl and the BCS, none of its two professional teams, the Saints and the Hornets, have ever won a championship. This is the first time for the city to play for the championship.

And if they win the Super Bowl, it would certainly serve as great team building in the city after it is still recovering from Hurricane Katrina.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

However it was educational to see that the officiating in OT was as awful as the CFL's has been known to be despite the "highly" paid and "highly" trained resumes. That pass interference call was brutal. Ball was uncatchable and the defender barely touched the receiver on that play. The trapped catch was also interesting albeit that might have been harder to overturn.

A couple of NFL questions

Farve at a couple points in the game looked like he was supremely roughed. Particularly on that play where the defender went low and took him out at the knee from behind. Do they not have a rule against that in the NFL?

Second, can punters recover their own kick and or do they have an onside version of kick recovery?

Oh and one other thing, how wimpy is their sudden death overtime in the playoffs? Game decided on the whimsy of a coin toss.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Who Dat???? :beauty: Good riddance Gunslinger, go back to MS and leave me alone. For good.

Would really like to see a full overtime period in the playoffs (10-15 minutes, maybe). The sudden death is fine in the regular season, but don't decide a playoff on a cointoss.

I want the Saints to win; Peyton has his, Drew Brees doesn't. And the good that a SB win would do for the city of NO would be immense. That said, the way Peyton figured out the Jets blitz packages after only one quarter? Wow. :beauty: Heart says Saints, head says Colts.

If the Colts win, is Peyton the best QB ever? Two time SB champ, four time NFL MVP. And to think, with that receiving corps Peyton could have a couple more SB's in his future.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

double post, my bad.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:That said, the way Peyton figured out the Jets blitz packages after only one quarter? Wow. :beauty:

If the Colts win, is Peyton the best QB ever? Two time SB champ, four time NFL MVP. And to think, with that receiving corps Peyton could have a couple more SB's in his future.
It has to be discouraging for a defence to have a blitz called. Then you see Peyton looking things over, and telling his linemen which guys are blitzing. LOL

He is one of the tops of all time. Some incredible guys there. Hard to say he is the best of all time, but he is the best of the current generation.

Johnny Unitas (whom Peyton admires, and in honor of whom Peyton sometimes wears hightop shoes) is up there with Peyton. John Elway has to be there. Bradshaw had way more help with the Steelers. As did Starr with the Packers. Joe Montana is there with the tops.

Yeah, it is nice to see New Orleans have some good times. Drew Brees is a Cool Breeze. :beer: No real favorite for me, except I find it hard to root against Peyton Manning.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

I would love to have the chance to sit in as Peyton watches gamefilm during the week, maybe even pick his brain as to what he's watching. :beauty:

Or if he were to put out some instructional DVD's of said material. That, as an aspiring OC/QB coach, would be worth every penny.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Brad Childress says he won’t give Brett Favre a deadline

By Chip Scoggins / Star Tribune (Minneapolis)

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - Added 9h ago

Vikings coach Brad Childress spent some time with Brett Favre in the training room early Tuesday morning before Favre hopped a flight home to Mississippi.

They didn’t talk about Favre’s future, but the biggest question of the Vikings’ offseason lingers: Was Tuesday his final day at Winter Park?

"I don’t have an expectation," Childress said. "I know he had a great experience here. I know it too well to know that emotions are a little bit raw right now. We’re still too close to it. He’s earned his time to be able to step away from it and talk to his family and figure out what he wants to do. But I don’t have a strong expectation one way or the other. It would not surprise me one way or the other."

Childress said he wouldn’t give Favre a deadline for deciding whether he will return for his 20th NFL season or retire. Favre had tears in his eyes Sunday after the Vikings season ended in a 31-28 overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints in the NFC title game.

Favre took a considerable pounding in the game, suffering an injured ankle among other bruises. He said he needed time to decompress mentally and emotionally before contemplating his next move.

Favre, who statistically had one of his best seasons, is scheduled to earn $13 million next season. Childress said the team essentially will proceed this offseason with two game plans: one with Favre, one without him.

"You can plan both ways," Childress said. "I don’t know. It’s up to him. But it’s not a deal where I need to put a gun to his head and say, ’I need to know in a week, two weeks, two months.’ I know you guys want it all in concrete and set in stone."

Favre said Sunday that it wouldn’t take him months to decide, but his teammates didn’t seem too concerned if it did. All-Pro defensive tackle Kevin Williams said it wouldn’t bother him if Favre skipped the Mankato portion of training camp and reported later, as he did last summer.

"You want to make sure you make a decision that is not an emotional decision and that (it is) an informed decision," Childress said.

Regardless of Favre’s decision, Childress agreed that the team must develop a long-term answer at the position. The Vikings need to identify their quarterback of the future, and Childress hinted they might look to select one in the first round of the draft this spring.

"Eventually you would like to be able to do that," Childress said. "But by the same token, you don’t want a round peg in a square hole. I am too far away from it right now to tell you what the quarterback class this year looks like. I know we’re picking down there at 30th (in the first round). We’ll just see what’s there and I’m sure that we will ably man that position one way or the other."
Favre is what he is. A gunslinger. Some great plays. Some disastrous plays. More great plays than bad. Take away those 2 bad interceptions and his game against the Saints was masterful. But those intercetions were deadly.

Has a hard time deciding whether to retire or keep on playing. Shots of his wife in the stands when he gets killed by the defence show what she would like. It might take a while. It might be sloppy. But he will eventually make his decision.

It seems his coach Childress is going to be patient with him. And it seems the Viking players know what he is all about. And the public certainly knows him too.

He will go straight into the Hall of Fame when he does retire. Not quite the greatest quarterback ever. But on the list. His nature is what makes him great, and it is what makes him frustrating too. In that fraction of a second, he goes for the big play when a simpler play would set up the win.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I promised I wouldn't comment because I keep guessing wrong about these 'retirements'. That being said, it does put the Team in a bit of a bind. The Cardinals and Vikings really must be onto their Plan B's and Plan C's in case things don't work out as planned. Like I said earlier in this thread, the NFL teams just blow my mind in how they prepare personel-wise. The Colts are bringing in John Chick for next season even though this season isn't over, for them, yet. :dizzy: On the retirement front I'm sure there will be some surprises.

As for the Superbowl, I'm covering both bases. I'm going with Saints with my heart and Colts with my brain. Last year was the same, I hoped the Cards would win but didn't think they had a chance but it turned out to be a good game, IMO.