Ticket Prices / Lions' Marketing

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Yes, I commented on this scene when I got back from the game on just how cool/fun/spontaneous it all was. Little did I know the club actually captured (some of) it and then had the foresight to post it to YouTube. Close to 50,000 views in 3 days. Yea....I'd say that's gone viral! In fact, it was getting about 1,000 views an hour earlier today. All great publicity for the club. :thup:

To the best of my knowledge, the most views involving the Lions occurred 3 years ago in which the Argos' Ronald Flemons fumbled a sure touchdown before reaching the endzone on a fumble. While that has 2MM views, it was a league video.

[video][/video]

DH :cool:
The notorious Flemble is currently the most watched CFL video on youtube, period, Lions or otherwise (if your search metric is simply "cfl"). Over 2M views as you say. At one time this honour belonged to the clip of Kerwin Bell spiking himself in the... well, you know. The Bell video doesn't turn up in this search but still has about 500k views. The second-ranking video (820k) is the ending of the 2010 Mtl-Tor game with multiple punts back and forth over the goal line. The third one (720k) is the Kapp-Mosca dustup from 2011 Grey Cup week.

I mentioned Geroy's return on Oct 4 in my last post above. I was just looking at the Ticketmaster seat map and it looks like the ticket sales are already close to if not outright beating the 30k season-high. Only singles remain in the lower bowl and they've opened six extra sections in the upper deck, three each just beyond the family and tailgate areas.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There was a feature on the Lions Shuffle on the tube tonight. Asked the Lions who was the best and worst dancer on the team.

Best: Ryan Phillips

Worst: Travis Lulay or Paul McCallum
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions have uploaded another couple videos. They prob won't catch on like the Lion Shuffle one but at least they're trying something to maintain/build the buzz from that one. I suppose in response to Ryan Phillips's comments we might hear nothing but banjo music from the PA at Taylor Field on Sunday.

DJ C-Dub: It Takes Two

[video][/video]

Ryan Phillips: Lion Shuffle Dance Scout

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:I mentioned Geroy's return on Oct 4 in my last post above. I was just looking at the Ticketmaster seat map and it looks like the ticket sales are already close to if not outright beating the 30k season-high. Only singles remain in the lower bowl and they've opened six extra sections in the upper deck, three each just beyond the family and tailgate areas.
Yea, I noticed the Ticketmaster seat map for this game last week sj-roc. I'd say we're headed for a crowd in the 34,000-36,000 range (unless tickets sales stall when the casual fan gets sticker shock at the UB prices and/or we crap the bed in Regina). The Lions really need to start hyping this as an "event" and mention how - due to overwhelming demand - they've have had to open up more sections of the stadium. You know, a little salesmanship??

Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I mentioned Geroy's return on Oct 4 in my last post above. I was just looking at the Ticketmaster seat map and it looks like the ticket sales are already close to if not outright beating the 30k season-high. Only singles remain in the lower bowl and they've opened six extra sections in the upper deck, three each just beyond the family and tailgate areas.
Yea, I noticed the Ticketmaster seat map for this game last week sj-roc. I'd say we're headed for a crowd in the 34,000-36,000 range (unless tickets sales stall when the casual fan gets sticker shock at the UB prices and/or we crap the bed in Regina). The Lions really need to start hyping this as an "event" and mention how - due to overwhelming demand - they've have had to open up more sections of the stadium. You know, a little salesmanship??

Yeah, you were already (and rightly) hyping the crowd for this one even long before that 8) . And I agree, they def seem a little too quiet with the build-up so far. I know it's been said a million times a million ways already but we wouldn't be seeing this heel-dragging if Ackles was still around.

Also, I was expecting to see this sooner or later: a fan has also uploaded their own video of the Lion Shuffle; looks like it was taken from the upper deck, prob the family section. While not as good quality as the Lions' own upload it still speaks to the fan engagement. In fact, it looks like this one was uploaded before the Lions got theirs up.

BC Lions Getting Their Groove On

[video][/video]
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

More on the Lion Shuffle from Yahoo's 55-Yard Line blog. The "around the globe" might be a little over the top; "around the continent" would prob be fairer comment:
B.C.’s “Lion Shuffle” spreads around the globe
By Andrew Bucholtz | 55 Yard Line – 3 hours ago

Waiting for video reviews can be one of the more boring parts of attending a live football game, but the B.C. Lions are changing that—and attracting worldwide attention in the process. During Sunday's win over the Montreal Alouettes, the team decided to get creative during a review. The in-house music started playing Cupid's 2007 hit The Cupid Shuffle, and the Lions' players started doing the famed dance from the music video.

The Lions' effort might have gone unnoticed if not for their video staff recording it and posting it on YouTube. It's since been featured on Sports Illustrated's Hot Clicks, ESPN's Twitter page, Fansided, Bleacher Report and plenty of other sites. Lowell Ullrich of The Province reports that talk of the "Lion Shuffle" even dominated the storylines at the team's practice Wednesday:
David Braley could have sold the Lions. Mike Benevides could have ripped into every one of his players. Geroy Simon could have called out the team which dispatched him to the Saskatchewan Roughriders a bunch of jerks on the conference call he held to talk about playing his former team. Solomon Elimiman is back with the first-team defence? It would not matter.

All anyone wanted to talk about at practice Wednesday was the Lions Shuffle. ...

At any rate, few people wanted to talk to Thomas DeMarco before players could get asked about the Lions Shuffle, and for probably good reason. Fox Sports wanted permission to use the video in one of their newscasts today. ESPN put it up on their website. Same with Bleacher Report. The Lions had gone viral, and they haven’t even gone yet to Regina.

“Usually when the music is playing we’re dancing around, but the reaction has created a buzz and I’m glad it’s going around the world right now,” Ryan Phillips said. “Sometimes we don’t give enough notice to how much of an impact (fans) have an impact on the game.
Going the extra mile to keep their fans entertained is a good approach by the Lions, and it's another reason for fans to actually go to the games. Loud home fans can make a difference on the field as well as to a franchise's bottom line, too; various studies have suggested home-field advantage is usually worth about a touchdown in the CFL. Now that the Lions have the Cupid Shuffle down, though, they should take this to a new level. An adapted version of the Super Bowl Shuffle, perhaps?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm guessing that part of the appeal of the video was the spontaneity and the fact that it happened during a game, as opposed to the Chicago Bears 1985 produced in a studio Superbowl Shuffle.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

And one more:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/09/19 ... the-party/
The 2 O’Clock: B.C. Lions’ Cupid Shuffle a true treat, and what made it truly special is the sort of thing the Southsiders bring to the party — it’s not club-created enthusiasm

September 19, 2013. 2:57 pm • Section: Sports

Look, the Felions are lovely, really, and the dancing, my Lord, stunning, really. I mean, look at that work at last Sunday's Lions-Alouettes game? Sadly, they could not hold a candle to the moves of the Lions who do not have a Fe- as a prefix. CP photo.

Posted by:
Jonathan McDonald

One of the most popular navel-gazing activities in Vancouver is to talk about what the atmosphere is like at various sporting events. And generally it comes down to a ranking that often has the Whitecaps up top, followed by the Lions, then the Canucks. This doesn’t mean to insult anyone or any organization, but there are so many factors that go into atmosphere. What’s the demographic of the crowd? Is it corporate, or is it people who really want to be there? Is it young or old? What does the sport lend itself to? And that’s just a few.

Since the Whitecaps joined MLS, two-and-a-half years ago, they have shot to the top of the atmosphere rankings. For that, I usually credit the, hmmmmmm, organic nature of the atmosphere. There are no hands clapping on the big screen, telling you when to cheer or when to “make some noiiiiiiiise.” There is, simply, an entire end of B.C. Place standing the whole game, singing, chanting, yelling “You fat bastard!” and other fine things. But that attitude, that enthusiasm, permeates other parts of the stadium. I know. I’ve never sat close to the Southsiders or the various other supporters groups. For some reason, I’ve never been within about four sections of them. (Southsiders, invite me! Take me inside your world!) But it doesn’t matter. We “boom!” when they “boom!” And wherever I sit is, I guarantee you, louder than it would be if the supporters clubs weren’t there.

Which takes me to the B.C. Lions and a whole new, practically unexpected, level of organic enthusiasm. I was in my usual seats in section 240 last Sunday, with my colleague and longtime season-ticket partner Ian Austin. There was a coach’s challenge on the field, which is essentially a long timeout. And that’s when it happened: the dancing. But first you should know that the Lions have done something really smart: They ask their fans to tweet them song requests during the games. And they listen. I requested two songs. One of them, Seven Nation Army, was played about 15 minutes later. (If only for about five seconds, because it was interrupted by the referee turning his mic on. Boo, ref! Boooooooo!) Wow, they actually listened to me? Impressive. At any rate, what it’s done is that it’s greatly improved the music that’s played during Lions games. No doubt about it. And at one point, during that coach’s challenge, with the Montreal Alouettes pinned deep in their own zone, the players standing around waiting, waiting, waiting, the music came on. And this happened:

[video][/video]

It’s called the Cupid Shuffle. And it’s 36 seconds of brilliance. No editing of this video. The Lions just put it on their website and it’s been seen about 50,000 times. I hope it’s seen 500,000 times. Because don’t you love the natural — yes, organic — enthusiasm the Lions’ defence shows? No one told them to do that. It was not some publicity ploy the club concocted. Just a dozen guys (well, maybe not Adam Bighill; let’s call it 11 guys) who, clearly, love music and love to dance. I can tell you, everyone in my section roared. It got people to their feet. The fans were laughing, cheering, delighted by what they were seeing. I turned to Ian and said, “I’m just waiting for the CFL to fine the Lions.” And it wasn’t exactly an isolated incident. Throughout the game, during cool tunes, Lions defensive end Brandon Jordan would stand on the sidelines, both focused on the game and shimmying at the same time.

Can you imagine the Canucks dancing on the ice during a TV timeout? My god, would Torts’ head explode.

Incidentally, the Lions followed up that impossible-to-predict video with a slightly more planned one: Ryan Phillips discussing the key quality you must have if you hope to become a member of the Lions’ defence. He is more than earnest about it, and you have to appreciate the not-so-subtle moves, in the background, of 6-foot-3, 270-pound defensive end Khreem Smith. This one, incidentally, has just 26 views as of this writing. It should rise up the ranks.

[video][/video]
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

At present the Lions defence does not have a nickname so how about: The Dancing D?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I'm guessing that part of the appeal of the video was the spontaneity and the fact that it happened during a game, as opposed to the Chicago Bears 1985 produced in a studio Superbowl Shuffle.
Totally, the organic-ness of it — the guy in that last article I quoted agrees. And the shortness of it at just 36 seconds is IMHO also a big factor with the ever-shrinking attention span of today's audiences. How often does a five minute video go viral?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

Hey David, looks like we have some spies among us. From the Lions' website, this is just the thing we've been talking about:

Strong ticket sales force Lions to open up additional seating

Thursday, September 19th, 2013

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club today announced that additional sections in BC Place have been opened up to accommodate a strong demand for tickets for the team’s Friday, October 4th game versus the Saskatchewan Roughriders presented by Budweiser.

“We’re still two weeks away, but it’s already tracking to be our biggest crowd of the season so far with tickets selling very briskly. To keep up with demand, we are now opening up more sections,” said president and CEO Dennis Skulsky.

Tickets in the Gemstone Gridiron Deck are $30 with seats in the Freshslice Family Zone going for $25. Sections opening beside these two areas are priced at $32.86 plus applicable fees and taxes. A great selection of seats between the 30 yard-lines is also available in the stadium’s upper deck.

Following last week’s win over the Montreal Alouettes, the Lions are not only undefeated at home in 2013, but have put together 12 consecutive regular season home wins dating back to 2012. Since returning to a refurbished BC Place in 2011, the club has won an incredible 18 of 19 regular season home games.

A home playoff game is still within reach this year for the 7-4 Leos, who will challenge Saskatchewan for a share of second place in the West this weekend in Regina.

“We’ve seen in recent days through some fun video pieces that a Lions game day at BC Place is unlike anything sports fans in British Columbia can get anywhere else,” added Skulsky. “The atmosphere created by our players and fans combined with a huge divisional matchup versus Saskatchewan make this game the kind of experience you only get by being in the stadium.”

Click here for a look at the Lions recent viral video Lions Shuffle.

Fans can pick up tickets for the October 4th tilt by visiting ticketmaster.ca or calling 604.589.ROAR (7627).
Upper Bowl
Starter

Oops....just posted that in a new thread. Thought it was worth it, but mods can delete if so desired....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
David wrote:

Hey David, looks like we have some spies among us. From the Lions' website, this is just the thing we've been talking about:

Thursday, September 19th, 2013

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club today announced that additional sections in BC Place have been opened up to accommodate a strong demand for tickets for the team’s Friday, October 4th game versus the Saskatchewan Roughriders presented by Budweiser.

“We’re still two weeks away, but it’s already tracking to be our biggest crowd of the season so far with tickets selling very briskly. To keep up with demand, we are now opening up more sections,” said president and CEO Dennis Skulsky.

Tickets in the Gemstone Gridiron Deck are $30 with seats in the Freshslice Family Zone going for $25. Sections opening beside these two areas are priced at $32.86 plus applicable fees and taxes. A great selection of seats between the 30 yard-lines is also available in the stadium’s upper deck.

Following last week’s win over the Montreal Alouettes, the Lions are not only undefeated at home in 2013, but have put together 12 consecutive regular season home wins dating back to 2012. Since returning to a refurbished BC Place in 2011, the club has won an incredible 18 of 19 regular season home games.

A home playoff game is still within reach this year for the 7-4 Leos, who will challenge Saskatchewan for a share of second place in the West this weekend in Regina.

“We’ve seen in recent days through some fun video pieces that a Lions game day at BC Place is unlike anything sports fans in British Columbia can get anywhere else,” added Skulsky. “The atmosphere created by our players and fans combined with a huge divisional matchup versus Saskatchewan make this game the kind of experience you only get by being in the stadium.”

Click here for a look at the Lions recent viral video Lions Shuffle.

Fans can pick up tickets for the October 4th tilt by visiting ticketmaster.ca or calling 604.589.ROAR (7627).
:thup: :thup: :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote: :thup: :thup: :thup:
I know, it's like David himself wrote it!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote: :thup: :thup: :thup:
I know, it's like David himself wrote it!
That was my thought too when I got the email from the Lions shortly after reading David's post. Kudos to the Lions. Keep it up.