All things Kamloops Training Camp 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:can anyone compare Reilly to Lulay in his second yr on the roster?
My impressions ...

IMO Lulay stood out from the get go. Many of us on here commented in that fashion. Others said don't go too fast. Well, it turns out, at least so far, that expectations were appropriate.

They seem similar in their backgrounds. Montana. Washington. Western guys. Both big. Strong arms. Accurate.
Guys, if there is a QB out of a Washington directional school I would love to have seen the Lions get their hands on it would have been Bo Levi Mitchell out of Eastern Wash. I was at the Eastern Wash v. UW Huskies game last year and Bo almost singlehandedly upset the Huskies on their own turf. Unfortunately he's now the property of a divisional rival - the Calgyra Stampeders. Dang it.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The coaches seem to have the same impression of Leonard as LU and other training camp observers:
The only valid value judgments are those of coaches, but if you want one anyway a person might say Leonard has been somewhat underwhelming. Worth noting at least: DeMarco moved ahead of Leonard in rotational reps at practice Wednesday.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Just spotted an ad on TSN for their upcoming 'pre-season' double header this Wednesday!!! This is one time missing the first game of a double-dip on TSN won't be too big a deal. These little things let you know the 'real deal' is just around the corner.....
David
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:These little things let you know the 'real deal' is just around the corner.....
It's great to watch this game too - it kind of reminds me that summer is just around the corner. :yahoo:

(also comforting to see Byron Parker make such a big play early in the game - from the Leos' 2nd play from scrimmage).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Speaking of shortage of backup QB experience, the Riders roster currently lists six QBs:
Darian Durant
Colt Brennan
Levi Brown
Asher Hastings
J.T. O'Sullivan
Drew Willy

That's a drop from first to second string that makes Lulay to O'Reilly look almost equal. But at least they have some interesting names.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
notahomer wrote:These little things let you know the 'real deal' is just around the corner.....
It's great to watch this game too - it kind of reminds me that summer is just around the corner. :yahoo:

(also comforting to see Byron Parker make such a big play early in the game - from the Leos' 2nd play from scrimmage).

How did you find the clip #
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

David wrote:

Geroy made Parker look pretty good on that play. When he caught the ball, he tried to go around Parker when he should have just gone forward to the end zone (yes, his momentum probably had much to do with that). And maybe he was misjudging where the goal line was, but he was carrying the ball pretty casually. Parker didn't have to do much to strip him of t.
Blitz
Team Captain

A couple of questions for B.C. Fan

A couple of players that I had positive views about going into training camp were Rajon Henley and Courtenay Taylor.

At rush end I felt that, while Smith was solid last year he was not spectacular and preferred a rush end who could get to the quarterback more effectively. You wrote earlier that Henley was not impressing. How are Henley and Geathers progressing and who do you believe who is winning the spot at present..Smith, Evans, Henley, or Geathers.

Secondly, I was disappointed to see Taylor on the depth chart at slotback rather than being able to challenge Johnson at wide receiver and also wished that we had Paris Jackson competing at wide receiver rather than backing up Gore at slotback. How are Courtenay Taylor and Paris Jackson doing?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:A couple of questions for B.C. Fan

A couple of players that I had positive views about going into training camp were Rajon Henley and Courtenay Taylor.

At rush end I felt that, while Smith was solid last year he was not spectacular and preferred a rush end who could get to the quarterback more effectively. You wrote earlier that Henley was not impressing. How are Henley and Geathers progressing and who do you believe who is winning the spot at present..Smith, Evans, Henley, or Geathers.

Secondly, I was disappointed to see Taylor on the depth chart at slotback rather than being able to challenge Johnson at wide receiver and also wished that we had Paris Jackson competing at wide receiver rather than backing up Gore at slotback. How are Courtenay Taylor and Paris Jackson doing?
Blitz, I tried to get a handle on the defensive line battle. It's probably the only position group where a rookie import can break on to the 42-man roster. I too was hoping that Henley or Geathers would push Smith, whose age is a drawback on an aging defence. I'm not convinced it will happen. Smith, Taylor, Mitchell and Williams are clearly the first unit. Henley and Geathers are still in the mix at defensive end, as is Brandon Jordan. Henley seemed to pull up his socks after one session where he seemed to be dogging it and he got called out by Rich Stubler. Maurice Evans and Teryl White have been impressive at tackle but so has Jabar Westerman, who will easily slide into the rotation as a rookie non-import. I don't think the Lions need another import tackle on the 42-man roster. Keep your eyes on this position group. It's not settled yet.

The receiver position is clear-cut. The starters are Simon, Bruce, Gore and Johnson (who is having a great camp), with Foster, Iannuzzi and Jackson all showing well. I expect all seven receivers to see action. Gore and Foster have had some trouble hanging on to the ball but I don't think it will cost them a position on the depth chart. They each have a great upside. Courtney Taylor has been invisible. I didn't notice him once, other than when he limped off injured and missed some practice time. Among the import challengers, I would give Nick Moore the best chance to hold his spot on the 46-man roster. Late arrival Ernest Jackson and WR Correy Earls have also shown well, for what it's worth, which may be a chance at the practice roster.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BCFAN, who is coaching the linebackers? I would guess it is Rich Stubler. On the staff list there is no one named for LB coach that I can see. Stubler of course is the DC, and I am guessing also the LB coach.

And of course that was Benny's role when he was DC. He was also the LB coach.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:BCFAN, who is coaching the linebackers? I would guess it is Rich Stubler. On the staff list there is no one named for LB coach that I can see. Stubler of course is the DC, and I am guessing also the LB coach.

Yes, Stubler is coaching the linebackers. When the starters break into two groups for inside run drills and skelly, Stubler stays with the inside run group, watching the linebackers and D-line. Anton McKenzie is like an on-field coach for the linebackers in pass drills. He's the one telling the other linebackers where to be and giving feedback between plays.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:BCFAN, who is coaching the linebackers? I would guess it is Rich Stubler. On the staff list there is no one named for LB coach that I can see. Stubler of course is the DC, and I am guessing also the LB coach.

Yes, Stubler is coaching the linebackers. When the starters break into two groups for inside run drills and skelly, Stubler stays with the inside run group, watching the linebackers and D-line. Anton McKenzie is like an on-field coach for the linebackers in pass drills. He's the one telling the other linebackers where to be and giving feedback between plays.
Was a time methinks when of the Riders' three highly regarded linebackers, Mo Lloyd, Sean Lucas and Anton McKenzie, Anton might have been third on most people's lists. Anton is looking pretty good these days. Coach on the field all the way. Calling the defence on the field. Making plays. I thought his first year here was not all that great. But he was gangbusters in our run to the Cup. :thup:
David
Team Captain

From all reports that I have read and heard anecdotally, there are going to be some very tough decisions to make. Evans, Henley, and Geathers have all shown well, but will it be enough to unseat Smith? Age may be a factor here. The club has got to integrate younger blood for 2013 as a lot of veterans are entering their option year. I am interested to see how we can take on Kabongo's salary without a ripple effect. It would not surprise me to see a veteran or two let go that we didn't see coming.

By all accounts, they will be releasing some very good football players. Among the names of players that have stood out (in addition to the 3 aforementioned D-linemen): LB Glenn Love, LB Beau Bell, WR Ernest Jackson, DB Josh Bell. According to Giulio, if you arrived at camp and didn't know anything about the players, you can clearly tell Travis is the #1 quarterback. He moves the offense up and down the field with relative ease. Then there's a drop-off with Reilly and then a further drop-off with Leonard and DeMarco.

Also, Kierre Johnson and Andrew Harris have stepped it up even more this year. Johnson's speed has been described as 'blazing' and Harris has slashed his way for some big runs. Also, thanks to BC FAN for the reports!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:From all reports that I have read and heard anecdotally, there are going to be some very tough decisions to make. Evans, Henley, and Geathers have all shown well, but will it be enough to unseat Smith?
I suspect that if any of the rookies show anything in the exhibition games they'll be kept around as insurance.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Guys who may be hard pressed to hold their positions at LB or D Line. No knock on these guys but the competition is crazy good. IMO ...

Khreem Smith. Eric Taylor. Adam Leonard. Adam Bighill.

Call it the Cam Wake effect. Play for the Lions. Play well. And the NFL might notice.

Martell Mallett. Solomon Elimimian. Khalif Mitchell. Emanual Arseneault. Jovan Olafioye. Et cetera.