TEAM 1410: Lions new permanent radio home

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

mrs.joesports
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote: Exactly ... LFITQ . Any station can step up and say they will give you 6 hours of air time for a pre & post game shows, along with the actually game broadcast. It's the additional exposure on non-game days that is so important to potential growth in your fan base.
When you're no longer the "Home of the BC Lions" the stage is set to reduce your CFL coverage.
I would suggest that we don't know for a fact that will happen on 1040. I'm going with a wait&see approach.
I'll be damned to listen through 12 hours of daily Canucks coverage in hope I might get to hear a 5-minute interview with Geroy Simon.
I think it already feels like that at times now, so again I don't see how things will be different. 1040 is mostly Canucks, and I can understand their reasoning. As a Lions fan, I don't LIKE it, but I understand it.

I'd be curious as to their listener number for football games (and even hockey games), at any rate. I'm not convinced that switching the game-day coverage to another station is going to hurt the number of listeners. I would guess most of the "casual" fans (who we'd like to convert to ticket-buying Lions fans) would be more likely to see a game on TV than listen on the radio. Frankly, I listen to the TEAM faithfully for pre-game and post-game. Not for play-by-play. If the game's in town, I'm at the game. If it's out of town (and so, on TV), I listen to TSN's play-by-play.
This is OUR league...
mrs.joesports
Rookie

Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:Received a tweet from one person on the matter and this is the way he feels about it:
the two stations are affiliated. It's really NOT that big a deal. Same broadcast crew, pregame, postgame.
That in a nutshell is how I feel about it, we may as well adopt the new station and move on. It also sounds like there will be more Lions product on 1410 as well. :thup:

:whs:
This is OUR league...
David
Team Captain

mrs.joesports wrote:
Rammer wrote:That in a nutshell is how I feel about it, we may as well adopt the new station and move on. It also sounds like there will be more Lions product on 1410 as well. :thup:
This is bullsh*t. Sorry, they can spin it any way they want but there's no other way to describe it. The Lions are being shuffled off way down the dial among crappy syndicated shows that no one will listen to, and repeat broadcasts that no one will listen to. That's no way to build an listening audience.

You won't have people getting into their cars after work in the summer months and finding the Lions game on, since their radio dial likely WON'T be tuned to 1410 on the way to work.

They're looking for some instant credibility to launch this new format and are sacrificing the Lions in order to do it. All of which underscores the need to find a high profile team President that can stand up and say, "this is wrong."

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

At least I don't have to listen to Pratt and Taylor.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
mrs.joesports wrote:
Rammer wrote:That in a nutshell is how I feel about it, we may as well adopt the new station and move on. It also sounds like there will be more Lions product on 1410 as well. :thup:
This is bullsh*t. Sorry, they can spin it any way they want but there's no other way to describe it. The Lions are being shuffled off way down the dial among crappy syndicated shows that no one will listen to, and repeat broadcasts that no one will listen to. That's no way to build an listening audience.

You won't have people getting into their cars after work in the summer months and finding the Lions game on, since their radio dial likely WON'T be tuned to 1410 on the way to work.

They're looking for some instant credibility to launch this new format and are sacrificing the Lions in order to do it. All of which underscores the need to find a high profile team President that can stand up and say, "this is wrong."

DH
Okay, half empty glass looking guy. :) The Lions end up with several hours of BC Lion production each day on 1410, can we be happy with that? I recall very similar concerns about going to 1040 and that seemed to turn out well in the end, I am sure that the Lions can do well on 1410 as well. You are going to have to face it at some point, the Lions aren't just sitting on the listeners previous dial, the audience isn't as large and is a dedicated group that will source wherever the Lions get placed. Think about more Wally, Suitor, and Giulio giving you CFL updates, perhaps discussion with opposition radio stations.

In the end the Canucks just got too large on the TEAM 1040 dial, they muscled their way in and pushed the Lions out, competition is the driver here. As much as Lion fans got sick with Canuck talk, the new format may allow us to have our say and have a set schedule as to when regulars will be on, unlike the hit and miss format we currently have.

Bottomline is we aren't going to change it, we should try to make it work, and the puck stops right here with Lionbackers on that front.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote: You won't have people getting into their cars after work in the summer months and finding the Lions game on, since their radio dial likely WON'T be tuned to 1410 on the way to work.
DH
And won't that come in handy when the Lions current deal with CHUM expires at the end of next season . With basically zero potential for cross-over listeners the 2010 ratings won't look good on the Lions behalf to see any more $$$. At least they can look elsewhere.
LakeLions
Rookie

Wow. What a bunch of negative people. You've been beaking all year about conflicts..and now the Lions have their own station. There's nothign going on in Vancouver in the summer and I seem to recall 1040 had a lot of Lions on live, were live at trainign camp.

Here's an idea. why don't the guys who are sitting here complaining see if they can get the Lions to go back to cknw or maybe to am 600. Good luck getting any coverage on those stations....I recall a half hour pregame show and a half hour postgame show on cknw. Good times -- or have all you guys forgotten that?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:The Lions end up with several hours of BC Lion production each day on 1410, can we be happy with that?
I think you're right Rammer as the Lions surely must be receiving some kind of compensation for this move like free air time for their own produced shows. Don't think CHUM will be providing on-air personalities as hosts, however, as this move was all about saving $$$$ not spending more for local content.

Still can't believe how this has become such an imbalanced sports town to the point where a supposedly all-sports radio station has to make room for coverage of one team 12 months of the year.
At least I can tell my kids I grew up in an era when the Canucks were actually third in the pecking order at one point behind the Lions and the Whitecaps.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

1. where does TEAM 1040 say they will reduce the amount of CFL content (other than not carrying the live broadcasts and pre/post game shows)? TEAM 1410 is part of the same operation, not a competitor, with TEAM 1040. It behooves 1040 to continue to promote interest in the Lions as the company ultimately benefits from people listening to 1410 on game day.

2. unless I tune in tomorrow and find out that Joe Leary and Simi Sara are the new play by play team for Lions games, what's the difference? Ball and Carravata sound exactly the same regardless of the frequency they are broadcast on.

3. try to get over the idea that the Lions are suddenly on a new station. They are not. They are simply on another channel of TEAM SPORTS RADIO. This is exactly where radio and TV services were supposed to be going with digital distribution. The idea that 1 TV or 1 radio service would offer multiple programming streams (including repeat programming) has been what the industry has been working towards for over a decade.

4. having the Lions on 1 constant frequency is a good thing in terms of marketing the broadcasts. It's much more efficient when it comes to promoting the broadcast with external advertising, promotional items, etc. Plus the fans know where to find the games on radio every week.
LFITQ
Team Captain

@Rammer & @LakeLions

How do you think the Lions are going to get more out of this? Everything I have read so far is that 1410 is not going to be having "new" shows, but is simply going to be re-broadcasting the shows run on Team1040. Which, without the Lions, will be even more hockey and other syndicated shows. ALA TSN2. Let's face it TSN2 doesn't even hit my dial very often unless I am wanting to catch a rebroadcast of a CFL game or a CFL game is being bumped there due to the overrun of another show on TSN. How will it be any different with 1410?

It's not like 1410, from what I've read is going to have more on-air personalities and create a "noon hour football talk" show like 1040 has for Hockey talk at noon.

Even going to the www.teamradio.ca website talks about TEAM1040 shows and nothing about 1410. It is 1040 news updates, 1040 Poll, 1040 shows. I click on the "Listen Live" link and it takes me directly to 1040. I have to click a little link inside the player to even get to 1410.

That's being shoved aside no matter how you look at it.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
LakeLions
Rookie

"I click on the "Listen Live" link and it takes me directly to 1040. I have to click a little link inside the player to even get to 1410."

Man, what are you talkign about? I went on to the website and, after choosing to listen live, I have teh choice of the two stations. Yes, the 1040 option is above the 1410 option, but I hardly think that means the Lions are "being shoved aside".

You guys are brutal.
mrs.joesports
Rookie

Belize City Lion wrote:1. where does TEAM 1040 say they will reduce the amount of CFL content (other than not carrying the live broadcasts and pre/post game shows)? TEAM 1410 is part of the same operation, not a competitor, with TEAM 1040. It behooves 1040 to continue to promote interest in the Lions as the company ultimately benefits from people listening to 1410 on game day.
Agreed. Ball (sitting in for Pratt) and Taylor had the Station GM in just after 3 this afternoon. They said very specifically that 1040 will still be promoting the Lions, talking about the Lions, etc.. The GAMES will be on 1410, though. 1410 is their sister station....they are now both branded as TEAM stations....it's in their interest to have both do well....they are not competing with each other.

And one thing the GM said that piqued my interest was that there could be the opportunity next year for expanded Lions/CFL coverage...as in longer coach's shows, etc. The Lions now have some breathing room, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm all for 1410 being branded Lions Radio, ASAP. :thup:
This is OUR league...
nelson95
Legend

I like alot of options so I'm happy

Now go Minnesota

ha ha
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
nelson95
Legend

I wonder how long before Giants nd Heat on TEAM

Clan, UBC?
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

A bad deal is not better than no deal at all. Moving the team, and a team whose presence bailed out their station whie the rest of the network took a giant crap at that, from a primary stick to a secondary stick with little to no live local presence creates the perception that that team is an after thought. "Room to breathe and expand coverage" is rubbish. Having one's game on the radio should be a mutually beneficial proposition. The station benefits by making a profit on the programming while the team benefits by gaining the maximum amount of exposure to a demographic willing to invest disposable income in the product.

Moving the product from a live and local stick to one on a syndicated stick filled with reruns is NOT, beneficial to the Lions and, in the long run, probably doesn't help CHUM that much either.

If the Lions were going to be shunted off and treated as the wicked stepsister, they might as well have stayed on 'NW.