Jamal Johnson NFL Signing!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

It appears that Jamal Johnson has signed on with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in his NFL option year window. I had heard on the TEAM 1040 yesterday that he had worked out for them (his only NFL workout) and didn't place much stock in it as I thought he would get a few workouts before settling in on a decision. However that certainly places some heavy recruiting on Shivers shoulders, as JJ had started to have increased workload and of course the release of Otis comes into play and the Riders have a few LB'ers approaching FA status at the 15 of February.

Interestingly enough, the article says that the Lions have $500K in Cap room....
Lions' Johnson signs with Bucs: sources

By Lowell Ullrich, Canwest News ServiceJanuary 7, 2009

Jamall Johnson will try his luck in the National Football League.

The B.C. Lions linebacker has agreed to terms with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, sources have confirmed.

The four-year veteran was vacationing in the Dominican Republic and could not be reached Tuesday, but a post by a Tampa magazine which covers the team extensively, Pewter Report, said Johnson has signed a two-year contract. Johnson was listed as a safety, his position in college at Northwestern State.

Lions personnel coordinator Neil McEvoy said Johnson's new contract had not yet been registered with the CFL, likely due to the fact he won't become a free agent until Feb. 15.

However, McEvoy said he was aware of talks between the Buccaneers and the agent for the linebacker.

If cutting Otis Floyd wasn't a sure sign Lions coach Wally Buono is intent on making changes to his linebacking corps this winter, the departure of Johnson will make it mandatory.

Buono has been toying with the idea of filling Floyd's weakside spot with middle linebacker Javy Glatt, which would at least create a home for rookie Terna Nande depending on B.C.'s success in free agency next month.

Losing Johnson, however, almost makes it a certainty the Lions will be a serious free agent player, with close to $500,000 in cap space presently available.

Johnson did not miss a game after the season opener in 2008 but had suffered through a variety of injuries in the past which led the Lions to rely on him less frequently, even though they made him a contract offer after last season.

"He was a good special teams player and added a lot of speed to our defence but he wasn't a starter yet," McEvoy said of Johnson, who had been offered a new contract by the Lions.

Also signed by the Bucs, according to several sources, is standout Edmonton Eskimos wide receiver Kelly Campbell.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Given this comment by McEvoy, it sounds like Johnson doesn't have much to lose giving the NFL a shot.
"He was a good special teams player and added a lot of speed to our defence but he wasn't a starter yet," McEvoy said of Johnson, who had been offered a new contract by the Lions.
That translates to whatever the Lions offered him it was likely nothing more than his previous contract.

Jamal has been kind of spinning his wheels the last couple of seasons in BC. Wally had pegged him as Carl Kidd's replacement and was among the handful of players to re-sign just before the ’06 Grey Cup game. He has shown flashes of brilliance but has also been slowed by injuries (nearly the last half of the ’07 season was a complete write-off with a groin problem). It's almost hard to believe this would have been his 5th season with the Lions.

Interesting to read he will be slotted in at safety for the Bucs given he was frequently substituted for an extra DB ( Jerome Dennis) in BC.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

The coaching staff have obviously pinpointed the Lions' weak spot last year, linebacker, and are making moves to fix their perceived problem.

I guess we'll see a Rider linebacker or 2 here next year.
Blitz
Team Captain

I was a huge Jamal Johnson fan! There were a few reasons why JJ didn't start until thi season. He began his career behind Carl Kidd. Otis Floyd was a fixture at the other outside linebacker. We decided to use Glatt at middle linebacker in 2006 rather than Jamal Johnson. Injuries were also a factor. Our leos did not use Jamal Johnson as a starter this season until halfway though the season...a mistake.

However, no one can doubt Jamal's athletic abiliity or pure linebacking natural instincts. He can scrape and explode,he's a great hitter and excellent tackler, he has great speed, and outstanding lateral pursuit.

I'm disappointed that he's left us....there were times that we really didn't utilize him and we didn't....and if things don't work out in the NFL..I'd love to see him back.

An NFL team has obviously seen his ability and that doesn't surprise me..even if it has suprised some others!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

[x
Last edited by Tighthead on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Buono has been toying with the idea of filling Floyd's weakside spot with middle linebacker Javy Glatt, which would at least create a home for rookie Terna Nande depending on B.C.'s success in free agency next month.
Javy Glatt at outside linebacker. Not a surprise. That position would seem to suit his skills more than MLB.

A spot for Terna Nande. Not a surprise. The Lions seem to be high on his potential.

The release of Otis Floyd. Not a surprise. Wally watches the "best-before" date closely, and is always willing to make that tough decision.

The Bucs signing Jamall Johnson. Not a great surprise. He suits NFL special teams work very well. His speed is at the very top end. He was once timed at 4.2 for the 40 in college. He is more of the size of an NFL safety. 6', 220.

What has been a surprise is how slow he has been working his way up with the Lions.
"He was a good special teams player and added a lot of speed to our defence but he wasn't a starter yet," ...
It would seem his slowness in earning starting time with the Lions was mostly because he was injured a lot of the time.

My guess is he will be very successful at special teams with the Bucs. Best wishes, Jamall.

If his stay there is short, we will gladly welcome him back.
ziggy
Legend

Good Luck to JJ, hope he doesn't just end up as practise fodder, he deserves better.
Bobbyp
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:Johnson as a safety is a bit of a laugh. He obviously was signed for special teams, hoping he could become another B. Ayenbedejo. The joke is half the kickoffs and punts in the NFL are never even returned.

The Lions will find a replacement for him, and as a fringe CFL player it is unlikely he will get his spot back with the Lions being an Import special teamer.
Maybe he will be the guy to run down the field and watch the ball roll around for 15 seconds then look at the ref to blow the whistle before he can touch it, then jump around like youve just won the lottery.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
Rammer
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:Good Luck to JJ, hope he doesn't just end up as practise fodder, he deserves better.
We should be able to see the terms of his contract and that will be the largest indication of the Buc's anticipation of his talent. That he worked out for only them suggests that he didn't have further interest or that the Buc's really liked what they saw and offered it up quickly, as I had only heard about his tryout yesterday and he was signed last night.

I am on board with Blitz, he was the Lions hardest hitter on D and had the speed to track down receivers and RB's when desperation gear was put in.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Bobbyp wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:Johnson as a safety is a bit of a laugh. He obviously was signed for special teams, hoping he could become another B. Ayenbedejo. The joke is half the kickoffs and punts in the NFL are never even returned.

The Lions will find a replacement for him, and as a fringe CFL player it is unlikely he will get his spot back with the Lions being an Import special teamer.
Maybe he will be the guy to run down the field and watch the ball roll around for 15 seconds then look at the ref to blow the whistle before he can touch it, then jump around like youve just won the lottery.

awesome...just awesome :lol:
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
The_Pauser
Legend

That's a bit of a shocker. Hopefully this creates an opportunity for the Lions to sign both Anton MacKenzie and Maurice Lloyd.
Roar you Lions roar!
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I'm sad to see him go. I wish Jamall the best of luck with Tampa Bay. A bit disappointed to see comments made about his status with the Lions. I always thought that he wasn't utilized properly and could have contributed more than he did. As one of the fastest players on the team and one of our hardest hitters, he deserved a better fate. Good luck JJ!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Bobbyp wrote:

Considering he'd be paid a minimum of USD$300,000 to do that instead of CDN$70000 to have to tackle the returner I'd say he'd won a lottery.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
nelson95
Legend

Thanks Jamal

a great special teams player with awesome speed

good luck

Hello Mo Lloyd?
Give the ball to LeeRoy!