Getting Ready For The Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

It's a short week for our injury depleted Leos as we play the Riders at home on Thursday. Time to leave our big victory in Calgary behind and start geting ready for the Green Machine..and that's what they looked like in rolling up a huge victory over the toothless Eskimos! The Riders whupped the Evil Empire, which hasn't looked all that evil, even with the introduction of "Chap Ball" :wink: Edmonton ran for only 29 yards against Saskatchewan and that doesn't get it done offensively in the new CFL.

We're an undefeated 5-0 team but we look like a Lions team that has been mauled ourselves. Dickenson is out, Buck is fighting turf toe, a sore hand, and bruised ribs that needed to be given the needle at half time against Saskatchewan, Marsh is out, Simmons is out, Clovis, Washington, and Banks were all hurt in Saskatchewan and their status is unknown, and Otis is still day to day!

The Riders will see a wounded lion lair and will be trying for the kill! However, nothing is more dangerous than a wounded Lion! Let's have a closer look!

DEFENSE

In order to stop the Riders we have to stop their running attack, just like we stopped Reynolds. Calgary was brain dead to trade Cates to Saskatchewan. He was a key missing piece to the Riders offence that is going to make them much tougher to defend...he can run and he can catch the football and he has breakaway speed.

Saskatchewan ran the football against Edmonton for 155 yards passing while only throwing for 183 yards. It's the new way to go..a balanced offence! In order for defenses to shut down opposition offences they have to unbalance it. Stopping the run and not allowing Joseph to scramble, is the way to beat the Riders. We also need to have something special for Dominguez...he's a big, strong, receiver and neither Glover or Mitchell will be able to handle him without help!

Jamal Johnson could be a key to this game. Johnson had a great game, with 7 tackles against Calgary and when forced to go wide to cover a receiver he did a hell of a job. My favorite defensive Leos player is starting to emerge and if Otis still can't go he will need to spy Joseph at times. This is going to be the toughest game for our defense to date and our injury situation doesn't help.

LFITQ made an astute observation about our Leos front four in the fourth quarter against Calgary. Our defense was on the field a lot and our front four was getting tired. We need to get back to more of a rotation and get Foley into the game along with Kirk at times to keep them fresh.

OFFENCE

Who would have ever thought, only a short time ago, that our offence would become a unit in which our rushing exceeds our passing. It happened again against Calgary. We ran the football for 176 yards, with Joe Smith picking up 112 of them, including a big touchdown scamper. We finally used the two back set of Lyle Green at fullback and Smith at tailback and it worked impressively. We even handed the football twice to Green to keep the defense honest. Lionbackers finally got their wish and it worked wonders. This game, hopefully, we'll see both versions of the two back set with Smith/Smart and Green/Smith.

Against the Riders we have to run at Fred Perry and Kitwana Jones, their defensive ends. They are lightning fast and that creates a problem for our big offensive tackles. However, we can pound them because they are light defensive ends, built for speed. We also need a screen series, preferablly out of the two back set, hitting Green and even Smith for quick screens. It's another key way to hurt defensive ends who get upfield fast.

We need to start Jarious against Saskatchewan. That won't be easy, since Jarious has had the least game reps by far, of any of our three quarterbacks who started the season with us. However, he's our only healthy quarterback with any experience. Pierce's turf toe injury concerns me the most, over his bruised ribs and sore hand, which will heal. We know what happened to Printers in 2004, having his turf toe shot up before each game and the damage it caused, requiring surgery. What most people don't know is that 50% of all turf toe injuries are not completely healed after 5 years....it's a very miserble, painful injury, with ligament damage, and some healing time would help Buck. He could be the backup for the game.

We're depleted at quaterback, lucky we didn't trade Jarious, and may even need the "Italian Stallion" before Thursday is over. We only passed for 118 yards against Calgary and it's becoming more obvious that the problem is our quarterbacks not having confidence in their reads. It was said we couldn't pass to Simon because he was covered...wrong...and that was proven against Calgary.

Our quarterbacks are just plain missing open receivers...Buck deep and Jarious short! Dickenson really only played one and a half games, Buck has had a good numer of game reps now and Jarious has seen some action. The more we look at it the more the problem is evident. Our quarterbacks have not executed the passing game well this season. It's quite simply making their reads, finding the open reciever, and delivering the football. We have receivers open on every play!
Saskatchewan will stack our run unless we can execute in the passing game more effectively.

SPECIAL TEAMS

LFITQ said our special teams have been under the radar this season. He's right. Our downfield coverage has been outstanding. Jamal Johnson is tied for most special team tackles in the league with 11. McCallum has been on the money in his field goal kicking. Smart runs hard and gets good yardage on punt returns and always looks dangerous. McCallum, not known as a great punter before coming to our Leos, continues to impress with both his yardage and accuracy, pinning teams down! We've blocked two punts and Wake added a field goal block against Calgary!

WRAP

We'll need all three units to play well to beat the Riders. Players will really have to step up! This is going to be a tough game and a war! Win and we have a very big lead in the standings. Lose and the Riders will only be one game back. The obstacles are there, we're wounded, but hopefully we'll be even more dangerous!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Some interesting individual stats going into the Riders game:

Ian Smart leads the league in combined yards and is the league's leading kickoff returner. Joe Smith is the league's second leading rusher and second in scoring touchdowns Jason Clermont is third in receiving. Ryan Phillips is second in the league in interceptions.

Cameron Wake and Brent Johnson are tied for the league lead in quarterback sacks, Jamal Johnson is tied for the league lead in special team tackles and Brent Johnson is tied for the league lead in forced fumbles.

Just a few stats that show some of the accomplishments of some of our individual Leo players!! :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
prairielion
Starter

I think Smith has taken the rushing lead now, has he not?
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: Against the Riders we have to run at Fred Perry and Kitwana Jones, their defensive ends. They are lightning fast and that creates a problem for our big offensive tackles. However, we can pound them because they are light defensive ends, built for speed. We also need a screen series, preferablly out of the two back set, hitting Green and even Smith for quick screens. It's another key way to hurt defensive ends who get upfield fast.
I agree. A couple of reverses would also help slow down their aggressiveness.
Rammer
Team Captain

prairielion wrote:I think Smith has taken the rushing lead now, has he not?
Yes Smith has taken the rushing lead in the CFL, I would have never factored that into a Lions team with DD/BP and the receiving corps we have, but such is the cash with a D that can grab the ball for you.
Entertainment value = an all time low
terencius

I hope the Riders can give you guys a game. Two of the best D's going at it.
Best of Luck for Thursdays game.

My wife is taking her dad to the Game at BC place. This will be the first time for both of them, to see the joint from the inside.

Both of them, will be wearing Green.

Short week. Should be a great one.
lion24
Legend

terencius wrote:I hope the Riders can give you guys a game. Two of the best D's going at it.
Best of Luck for Thursdays game.

My wife is taking her dad to the Game at BC place. This will be the first time for both of them, to see the joint from the inside.

Both of them, will be wearing Green.

Short week. Should be a great one.
The last time it was Saskatchewan coming off a short week so we will see how the Lions do after a short week and a growing injured list? :cr:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Blitz
Team Captain

Yes Smith has taken the rushing lead in the CFL, I would have never factored that into a Lions team with DD/BP and the receiving corps we have, but such is the cash with a D that can grab the ball for you.
It's a significant change and perhaps the leading edge of a new direction for CFL offences!
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:.....Jamal Johnson is tied for the league lead in special team tackles and Brent Johnson is tied for the league lead in forced fumbles....
Man, that special teams lick he laid on Howell in the first quarter was, along with Paris Jackson's one-handed catch against Edmonton, the highlight of the year so far. He came in like a heat-seeking missile and hit him with such force the ball flew out and nearly landed on a guy's lap in the 3rd row. :rockin:

While we'll never forget the incomparable Carl Kidd, Jamal sure is making the transition easier.... :yes:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

^ That hit was beautiful.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
Blitz wrote:.....Jamal Johnson is tied for the league lead in special team tackles and Brent Johnson is tied for the league lead in forced fumbles....
Man, that special teams lick he laid on Howell in the first quarter was, along with Paris Jackson's one-handed catch against Edmonton, the highlight of the year so far. He came in like a heat-seeking missile and hit him with such force the ball flew out and nearly landed on a guy's lap in the 3rd row. :rockin:

While we'll never forget the incomparable Carl Kidd, Jamal sure is making the transition easier.... :yes:

DH 8)
It was a crunching hit alright, too bad that the punt didn't land in midfield as that ball was up for grabs after that hit. Tack on the holding penalty and that entire quarter revolved around that one play. Combine that with Jamal Johnson's ST hit in the Hamilton game near their GL as well and he has certainly progressed from his one timer hit in his first game against Winnipeg when he neglected the CFL no yards zone. :oops:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Jamal Johnson has been a talent waiting for a long time for an opportunity!
Not many players create a buzz among the players after a first practice like Jamal did when he joined our Leos later in the season a couple of years ago.

I was a huge Carl Kidd fan but I thought Jamal was ready to start last season. It was great that Carl had such a strong final 13 games and finished his career off with a Grey Cup win but Jamal's time had arrived. In fact, Jamal had such great respect for Carl Kidd that this was the best way to make the transition.

Good things always seeemed to happen around Jamal whenever he was put in there for a few plays in the past. He's a playmaker. He hits a ton and has great technique. He is fast and can cover a receiver deep downfield like he did against Calgary! He was my favorite Leo defensive player, along with Brent Johnson, before he ever became a starter this season. This is his first season starting...scary that he is only going to get better! :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Johnson made an impression for all the wrong reason when he joined the Lions. He showed great speed on the special teams but he kept forgetting about giving 5 yards to punt returners. He kept getting flagged for incringement. He's much better now.
Blitz
Team Captain

Johnson made an impression for all the wrong reason when he joined the Lions. He showed great speed on the special teams but he kept forgetting about giving 5 yards to punt returners. He kept getting flagged for incringement. He's much better now.
Jamal was always good...he just needed to integrate the special teams 5 yard rule but even then you could tell he could hit a ton! He's leading the league in special team tackles now and his linebacker play so far has been outstanding...I'm "jammin' with Jamal!!

On a couple of other topics...Wally said he didn't know Buck wasn't ok for the Calgary game! Guess Wally needs some glasses and new ears because everyone, including my grandmother, knew he was hurting with turf toe, ribs so bruised it hurt to breathe, and his hand was still sore. The fact is that Wally plays quarterbacks injured and always has from Dicikenson, Printers, Buck, and so on! Of course, who are they to argue with what he says to the press!!

Looks like Banks is going to go on Thursday..hurting or not and that's such a key. Banks allows Miles to roam plus allows us to do other things on defense because of his outstanding coverage skills. Great to see Knowlton play so well against Calgary! Right now, with our depleted secondary I wonder what the status is of Bo Smith?

Jarious gets his second start of his CFL career! Buck has started CFL games and had a lot more backup reps! It's a tough start, against a Riders team that is sky high and confident and smelling blood with our injured lineup and they are hell for us to play at the best of times!

It's going to be a tough one!!
wildthing
All Star

Blitz wrote:
Jamal was always good...he just needed to integrate the special teams 5 yard rule but even then you could tell he could hit a ton! He's leading the league in special team tackles now and his linebacker play so far has been outstanding...I'm "jammin' with Jamal!!

On a couple of other topics...Wally said he didn't know Buck wasn't ok for the Calgary game! Guess Wally needs some glasses and new ears because everyone, including my grandmother, knew he was hurting with turf toe, ribs so bruised it hurt to breathe, and his hand was still sore. The fact is that Wally plays quarterbacks injured and always has from Dicikenson, Printers, Buck, and so on! Of course, who are they to argue with what he says to the press!!

Looks like Banks is going to go on Thursday..hurting or not and that's such a key. Banks allows Miles to roam plus allows us to do other things on defense because of his outstanding coverage skills. Great to see Knowlton play so well against Calgary! Right now, with our depleted secondary I wonder what the status is of Bo Smith?

Jarious gets his second start of his CFL career! Buck has started CFL games and had a lot more backup reps! It's a tough start, against a Riders team that is sky high and confident and smelling blood with our injured lineup and they are hell for us to play at the best of times!

It's going to be a tough one!!
is a nicked banks really better than a healthy other? Can you risk having a Rider receiver exploit Banks for even part of the game? Does it free up Miles or force him to double cover since Banks isn't 100%?