Moderator: Team Captains

pinkfreud

smphantom wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:Do you remember...
  • *The Hippopotamus Club at 3rd and Lonsdale
    *Canyon Gardens on Cap Road
    *Daddy Long Legs in the International Plaza
    *The International Plaza when it was a hotel
I remember those. Especially getting down on the dance floor at Daddy Long Legs, and all the jokes from my friends that the joint was named after my long legs..... :roll: :sigh:

Do you remember The Bistro and Tugs in the Lonsdale Quay and Holidays on West 1st?
I was too young to get down at Daddy Long Legs, but I remember my mom with her flipped up hair and polyester pant suit going there for dates. I do remember going for lunch in a garden like setting under that glass dome.

I think I remember Tugs. Was it around in the early 90's? I definitely remember Holidays! What a meat market that was! You literally couldn't glance a millisecond in a guy's direction without them coming over to you. Unlike any other club. Speaking of clubs, does anyone remember Casablancas in New West? Memories of "Ice, Ice, Baby", black light and Malibu Rum & Pineapple Juice.

Other North Shore memories:

Seven Seas Restaurant
Ripp's Diner on Lonsdale
Swanson's Ice Cream Parlor on Lonsdale
Mother's Restaurant, where Earl's is now at Cap Road & Marine
Hobbit House Restaurant
The Woodbine Inn Chinese Restaurant in Edgemont Village
Last edited by pinkfreud on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

David wrote:Okay who's old enough to remember?:

* a proper old-fashioned zoo in Stanley Park, with monkeys, penguins, and a sad looking yellow polar bear.

* The Aristocratic restaurant at Granville and Broadway (where there's now a Chapter's bookstore) :bawl:

* the seawall before it went all the way around Stanley Park.

* all the tie-die, bead, and 'head' shops along 4th Avenue.

* a hippie commune where Georgia Street meets the Stanley Park Causway.

* the rows of buses lined up along Hastings street outside Empire Stadium during a football game and the old "Export A" scoreboard. :bawl: :bawl:

*frig* I'm old. :x

:lol:

DH 8)
I was thinking the same thing about the old zoo at stanley park
I use to love walking through the area with the snakes,
and I saw the 2 polar bears play fighting once, on top of that cement platform and one of them fell into the pool, it was hilarious!
Unfortunately the enclosures were awful.

Remember the buses to, still looks like part of that score board is still there kinda leaned on it's side?
pinkfreud

KnowItAll wrote:when the 4 main grocery store chains were loblaws, dominion, safeway and supervalue.
Mmm...Super Valu Cookie Credit Cards. The clerks would turn around and all they'd see is this little hand sticking up holding a cookie credit card.

Stong's in Edgemont village in North Van...I remember seeing Relic from the Beachcombers in there all the time as a kid and being totally starstruck.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

My folks use to grocery shop at HI LOW Foods
Bighill is Badass
bbgirl
Legend

Seriously? No one else spent endless hours playing on MUDs on the old bbs servers? Sheesh, I AM lame. [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/tn ... /blush.gif[/img]

Perhaps you are all too old. [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/tn ... tongue.gif[/img]
Legal Leo
Starter

and lets not forget...

sitting outside, rain or shine or sleet or hail watching our favorite sport, cause there was no such a thing as a "dome" yet... and those were cold but fun.... :rockin:
bc49
Hall of Famer

Check out this website to view some of the dramatic changes in cityscape between the years 1978 and 2003.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/commsvc ... orama9.htm
I_Bleed_Orange
Starter

bc49 wrote:Check out this website to view some of the dramatic changes in cityscape between the years 1978 and 2003.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/commsvc ... orama9.htm
Cool ... gonna get me a fatty and try those again :lol:
smphantom
Legend

pinkfreud wrote:I do remember going for lunch in a garden like setting under that glass dome.
I was under that glass dome this morning at 5:30 - it is now the one of the free-weight sections of Fitness World.
I definitely remember Holidays! What a meat market that was! You literally couldn't glance a millisecond in a guy's direction without them coming over to you.
I thought you look kind of familiar.......... :wink:
Stay thirsty my friends.
pinkfreud

smphantom wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:I definitely remember Holidays! What a meat market that was! You literally couldn't glance a millisecond in a guy's direction without them coming over to you.
I thought you look kind of familiar.......... :wink:
Wait a minute, were you that guy with the big feet?

:lol:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

You have all stated memories on what appear to be pleasant and positive things. But what about some negative and unpleasant memories on the history of Vancouver? I'll list some of them:

1. The underground restroom at Main and Hastings. Not that I would want to go there anyways, but the place closed about 15 years ago.

2. In the same area near Main and Hastings, there used to be a lot of drunks and I would be afraid to go there as a kid. There doesn't seem to be as many drunks there now. I think the reason there were so many drunks there before is that there used to be a Liquor Store in that area.

3. Still in the same general Chinatown area, there used to be many Chinese movie theatres. Most if not all are closed now. I saw a few films there. I think the place may have been notorious for vice.

4. The reign of terror caused by serial killer Clifford Olson in December 1980 until he was finally caught in August 1981.

5. The strike by garbage collectors in 1981. Trash started accumulating in yards and I heard some people started throwing garbage on the steps of City Hall.
pinkfreud

The Hari Krishnas that used to dance and play their tamborines in front of the Bay downtown scared me foolish!

:shock:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote: 1. The underground restroom at Main and Hastings. Not that I would want to go there anyways, but the place closed about 15 years ago.
Still there and operating. Another one at Hamilton and Hastings.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Main and Hastings never was and never will be a place for any decent folk to want to be.

I should know, I used to hang there sometimes during the 70's...sigh
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Transistor radios

Rocket radios

8 tracks