Lions @ Eskimos - Game Day Thread 20190526

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's surprising that all 3 Lion quaterbacks are having trouble moving the ball. The defence is playing a vanilla defence
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Awful game.

Even the Eskie's P.A. announcer getting on my nerves. Ha ha

Way to go, Nick Nurse, Kawhi Leonard and the Raptors. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:26 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:07 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:04 pm
Pick by Johnson.

Apodaca not looking good. My read -> too much thinking with JJ's complicated, difficult-to-run offence.
Yes. Everything is dictated by the defence. Read and react. If the defence gives a 5-yard pass, that's what you take. It's not an efficient, aggressive CFL offence.
Speaking as a marginally knowledgeable fan, what’s stopping a defence from doing anything other than giving up that short pass all game long?

Makes for brutal viewing...
They can always go deep to Bryan Burnham in double coverage when he's playing.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:26 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:07 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:04 pm
Pick by Johnson.

Apodaca not looking good. My read -> too much thinking with JJ's complicated, difficult-to-run offence.
Yes. Everything is dictated by the defence. Read and react. If the defence gives a 5-yard pass, that's what you take. It's not an efficient, aggressive CFL offence.
Speaking as a marginally knowledgeable fan, what’s stopping a defence from doing anything other than giving up that short pass all game long?

Makes for brutal viewing...
You have to mix it up. CK.

Otherwise, offences find a gap, overload or mismatch. You cannot be predictable, despite what Vince Lombardi practiced. Ha ha He preached and practiced execution. Stop us if you can. Nowadays tbey find the way. Full disclosure --> Lombardi fan. IMO he would have adjusted if he was forced to. That never really happened.

Example. The Raptors adjusted to the Bucks ''unstoppable'' offence. The system offence was largely slowed down to a crawl.

Same principle for offence and defence.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Surprised that Moj and Caravatta is not talking about food or what they had for their pregame meals. Guess it's preseason for them too
CardiacKid
Legend

Anybody else wondering if Boyko won’t make it past the last cut out of training camp?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

150 yards total offence
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It seems to me Sears has moved ahead of Apodaca.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:51 pm
Today at least. It can be a steep learning curve for a raw rookie. I didn't see Sears complete a pass in the first seven practices of camp. He was indecisive and held the ball too long in the few live reps he got. Perhaps today he turned a corner. He now has two weeks to progress before the final preseason game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

22-7 final
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:57 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:51 pm
Today at least. It can be a steep learning curve for a raw rookie. I didn't see Sears complete a pass in the first seven practices of camp. He was indecisive and held the ball too long in the few live reps he got. Perhaps today he turned a corner. He now has two weeks to progress before the final preseason game.
I have to say, BCFAN, that it seems to me that JJ's offence can make many a QB indecisive.

I can picture JJ telling Doug Flutie: ''That is not how you run that play.'' Flutie: ''But we got a TD.'' JJ: ''You missed two progressions.''

Eskimos: Please change your P.A. announcer, who seemed to be on a tryout, or an internship. Very annoying.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Based on the radio PBP and live game stats only, the following players made a positive impression today.

RB Jamel Lyles - 6 carries for 54 yards. (led all players)
SB Jevon Cottoy - 3 catches for 45 yards (led all players)
KR Shakeir Ryan - 63-yard punt return TD
LB Jordan Herdman - 6 tackles (led all players)
DT Edward Godin - 2 sacks (led all players)
DB Steffon Herd - 3 tackles, 1 sack
DB Victor Gamboa - 2 DTs, 1 STT, 1 KD

All except Herdman are depth players fighting for spots on the roster.
David
Team Captain

Players who were either noticeable or made some plays:

RB - Lyles
SB - Cottoy
KR - Ryan
DB - Herd
S - Ketter
DT - Godin
DB - Gamboa
DB - Franklin
LB - Herdman
DE - Ogundeko

Really tough to evaluate some of the receivers due to quarterback inefficiency.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Looks like the Lions are getting exactly what you would expect from bargain basement inexperienced QBs. Just miss the good old days when it seemed like an endless supply of talented young arms thanks to their recruiting including the guy they spent $700,000 on. Heck I would take Thomas DeMarco to back up Reilly right now.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DeVone Claybrooks was happy with the effort and calls it a learning experience.
“You don’t ever lose, you either win or you learn,” said Claybrooks after his first ever head coaching assignment.

“I have a great feeling that we’re going to be very bold defensively and very well offensively. We understand we’re going to be a team to be reckoned with and that was just a step in the direction to get to where we want to get to. The guys were flying around and executing their calls at a high level. That’s all you can really ask for. As long as we continue to do that, I have full faith that we’re going to continue to get better, continue and continue to build.”
“The offence is called a unit for a reason,” added Claybrooks.

“If one string out of that unit is off key, the tune doesn’t carry, right? All in all, it was just over and over the exact same thing. We just have to be more consistent.”
BAKES’ GAME TAKES | BC 7 EDM 22

Another Claybrooks quote from The Canadian Press:
“The guys fought hard, we just have to have to play a little smarter and execute better,” he said. “Our guys are heading in the right direction, but it is still just seven days into camp. We had a great effort. I didn’t want to have to coach effort and we had them flying around. Now we just have to get them flying in the right spots. It’s a process and this is another brick we have laid in the foundation.”
QB Logan Kilgore leads Eskimos past Lions 22-7 in CFL pre-season opener