CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart ...

Good to see Westerman is still around, not banished.

Brandon at LT.

Husband at RG backup.

Poblah better hang onto the ball. Lochard ahead of Antwi on STs. Backup RB also?

Benson long snapper.

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/bc/downloads/ ... 095319.pdf
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have 22 internationals on the roster and can only dress 20. We know Tim Brown will be one. That likely leaves Brandon Jordan and either T.J. Lee or Torri Williams as scratches. Williams has been a bit of a disappointment.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary leading Edmonton 17-10 in the 3rd quarter. Mike Reilly's hand is still not fully recovered to play.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary swept the home and home against Edmonton with a 41-34 victory. Eskimos scored 14 points in 2 minutes to narrow the deficit to 7 points. Stamps took the ensuing kickoff and scored a touchdown by Jon Cornish. Edmonton wasn't through and scored another touchdown to make a 7 point game but failed on the attempted onside kick.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Calgary swept the home and home against Edmonton with a 41-34 victory. Eskimos scored 14 points in 2 minutes to narrow the deficit to 7 points. Stamps took the ensuing kickoff and scored a touchdown by Jon Cornish. Edmonton wasn't through and scored another touchdown to make a 7 point game but failed on the attempted onside kick.
Couple of good teams. Well coached.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Calgary swept the home and home against Edmonton with a 41-34 victory. Eskimos scored 14 points in 2 minutes to narrow the deficit to 7 points. Stamps took the ensuing kickoff and scored a touchdown by Jon Cornish. Edmonton wasn't through and scored another touchdown to make a 7 point game but failed on the attempted onside kick.
Wow, a total of 75 points scored in one game, seems incredible in this season so starved of offense.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal leading Hamilton 38-24 with 3 minutes in the game. Tale of two halfs, Hamilton dominated the 1st half and Montreal the 2nd half. Chad Johnson (remember him) has 3 receptions for 79 yards.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers have now lost 4 of last 5 games dropping a 30-24 decision to the Riders. They had a chance to win the game but two ill timed interceptions by Drew Willy sealed their fate. Win could prove costly to the Riders as they lost Durant with an injured elbow.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Montreal leading Hamilton 38-24 with 3 minutes in the game. Tale of two halfs, Hamilton dominated the 1st half and Montreal the 2nd half. Chad Johnson (remember him) has 3 receptions for 79 yards.
Johnson did look good. Amazing what happens when you got a QB to throw you the ball....

Crompton had himself a good second half. THe ALoettes are now tied for first in the LEAST division. and, IMO, :thdn: on the jersies....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Bombers have now lost 4 of last 5 games dropping a 30-24 decision to the Riders. They had a chance to win the game but two ill timed interceptions by Drew Willy sealed their fate. Win could prove costly to the Riders as they lost Durant with an injured elbow.
Lots of ugliness in this game, IMO. Blatant MISSED holding call that help spring Dressler for a punt return TD. When you see what gets called...how was that one NOT? :dizzy:

Gave Chamberlin credit for going for it 3rd/short late but Messam fumbled. Unfortunately Willy then tossed that one away with an INT.

Cortez had me baffled (as Suitor noted on the broadcast) WHY DID THE RIDERS STOP RUNNING THE BALL?

Durant looked badly injured, hope he heals up.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Frustrates the heck out of me when I see coaches stop doing what's been working. They outsmart themselves.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I just saw the second half of the Esks - Stamps and other than the late resurgence by the Esks on a couple of big plays 2nd half to close the gap I thought Calgary looks like this can be their year to go all the way and hoist the GC.

It looked to me like Calgary got up big and then started to laugh and talk and yes the Esks made a few big plays but it seemed it happened when Stamps collectively let down as the game seemed in the bag. Even TSN didn't try to sugar coat how bad it was getting.

I wonder how long the Stamps will be able to keep Bo Levi Mitchell from NFL exposure? He is sure looking good. His summer at Jeff Garcia's camp is turning out to be a good decision by the Stamps and Mitchell. I laughed when he said on the bench that he couldn't say as the camera was there when commenting on both a TD drive and the Esks yapping. I think I got the topics right. He did say - let them talk.

It was interesting how long the Esks kept targeting Jon Cornish leaving other guys open and able to make big plays. Forde noted what I felt - that Calgary kept running him into the line on purpose as that kept Cornish in play so that the defense didn't ignore him. Stamps are good enough to be able to waste that run for no yards and get it on second down with a pass. With the Lions and running Harris right into a wall is not a set up or to keep a decoy going but just predictable play calling. Cornish going nowhere was more a deliberate tactic that was not predictable - just well defensed.

Then late in the game he finally busts a huge couple of runs. I thought his comment on the way to the bench didn't came off the best but as typical Jon C: 'now that is how you block' as if they weren't blocking hard all day. By now the Stamps would be used to that from him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Bombers have now lost 4 of last 5 games dropping a 30-24 decision to the Riders. They had a chance to win the game but two ill timed interceptions by Drew Willy sealed their fate. Win could prove costly to the Riders as they lost Durant with an injured elbow.
Lots of ugliness in this game, IMO. Blatant MISSED holding call that help spring Dressler for a punt return TD. When you see what gets called...how was that one NOT? :dizzy:

Gave Chamberlin credit for going for it 3rd/short late but Messam fumbled. Unfortunately Willy then tossed that one away with an INT.

Cortez had me baffled (as Suitor noted on the broadcast) WHY DID THE RIDERS STOP RUNNING THE BALL?

Durant looked badly injured, hope he heals up.....
Didn't Gore get called for a hold that was substantially less of a hold than that particular hold in the Dressler return? Just goes to show how calls/non calls can and do influence a game and IMO why the coaches challenge on PI's is a good thing, even if it takes a blatant missed PI to overturn it. Had the Bombers been allowed to challenge that hold, this game is much different. Heck, I would have it that the CFL HQ's should be able to address a non call like that considering the TD was scored as well...
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Didn't Gore get called for a hold that was substantially less of a hold than that particular hold in the Dressler return? Just goes to show how calls/non calls can and do influence a game and IMO why the coaches challenge on PI's is a good thing, even if it takes a blatant missed PI to overturn it. Had the Bombers been allowed to challenge that hold, this game is much different. Heck, I would have it that the CFL HQ's should be able to address a non call like that considering the TD was scored as well...
But that's trusting CC in Tor to get the review right, which is not always a smart gamble considering the missed PI (obvious jersey tug) late in the Ham/Mtl game that stood on challenge. :dizzy:

As for review of scores, they currently do review all scores IIRC but do they review the play in its entirety from the ref's signal to start the play clock until the whistle blows again or do they merely ascertain the plane was broken by the ball?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Didn't Gore get called for a hold that was substantially less of a hold than that particular hold in the Dressler return? Just goes to show how calls/non calls can and do influence a game and IMO why the coaches challenge on PI's is a good thing, even if it takes a blatant missed PI to overturn it. Had the Bombers been allowed to challenge that hold, this game is much different. Heck, I would have it that the CFL HQ's should be able to address a non call like that considering the TD was scored as well...
I'm not sure of what game you are referring to in terms of the Gore hold. If you are talking about the Redblacks game I know the a lot of the players were grumbling about a 'terrible call' but IIRC, it was the offensive PI call.

Certainly can not disagree that calls & non-calls are influencers on the game. I was wondering if that hold was just something I thought deserved a flag (its my anti-Rider bias :wink: ).......