West Semi-Final Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:One last comment: as a big geroy fan, sad to see him go from hero to zero. Hope he at least gets a ring in 2013.
Means zip to me right now. Couldn't care less.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Poor time management on the Lions in the final minute.
rb
Champion

The holding penalty against Jackson was a killer.

Penalty totals:

BC 6/65
Sk 3/10
Bosco
Team Captain

Very disappointing. There was only three guys that we needed to stop - Durant, Dressler and Sheets. The D did a fairly good job stopping Sheets, but Durant and Dressler killed us.

Especially Durant.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Hail Mary time and DeMarco with one of the strongest arms in the CFL watches while Lulay and his recently rehabilitated shoulder try the Cal State marching band play. Hmmm. The Chap must go!
dtrain
Starter

sj-roc wrote:
dtrain wrote:Brutal coverage by tsn to cut away immediately to nfl coveage
Tune in to 1410 and wallow in this loss to your heart's content through 7pm.
I know, but tsn, how about at least 5 minutes post game before cutting to the all mighty nfl highlights?
Supposed to be cfl's official broadcaster
cromartie
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:For a guy who hasn't started in over 6 weeks, Lulay gave us a chance to win.

This loss falls on the D. All season easy to run on, couldn't stop 2nd and long and would give up the deep ball. Couldn't get a stop at the end when we needed one.

Major changes needed on D
Wait, you mean a team lining up four defensive ends on the line had trouble stopping the run? Who knew?
Bosco
Team Captain

Nice to see Rod Black :clown: jumping for joy on the Riders bandwagon.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:For a guy who hasn't started in over 6 weeks, Lulay gave us a chance to win.

This loss falls on the D. All season easy to run on, couldn't stop 2nd and long and would give up the deep ball. Couldn't get a stop at the end when we needed one.

Major changes needed on D
Yep, even with all the big plays the D gave up in the first 57mins, it all could have been forgiven with a 2 & out on the Riders' final drive. Instead they take over at the 3MW, run over 2mins off the clock, force us to use our timeout, kick a FG and leave the O with 28 seconds and no timeouts to engineer a 75yd TD drive.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

How many 2nd longs were they going to let Durant have before adjusting?

Big plays in the first half kept the Riders in it. No plays by the Lions LATE, let them salt it away.

Changes I would like to see.... definitely need to work on Clock management at the end of halves (especially the first half).

Surprised in so many ways. Sheets was more than held in check IMO. Sheets #'s maybe okay but he didn't hurt us the way I thought he'd half to in order for them to win. Durant took his place.

Loved the way the Lions offence played for three quarters but obviously it wasn't enough to win, either.....

Oh well. I'm certainly not jumping on the Geroy Simon bandwagon. I hope the Stamps win the West FInal and the Grey Cup. The Riders are the last team left, that I want to win.......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Poor time management on the Lions in the final minute.
We hardly had any time left to be managed. I put this on the D for not getting us the ball back fast enough. See my last post.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Durant's quarterback draw remind me of Ricky Ray (?) killing us with his draws couple of years ago.
South Pender
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Given all the heat Chapdelaine takes on here. It better be coming in a big way for Stubler. His unit disappeared when all we needed was a stop or two.
Absolutely. I'm not a "Chappy Worshiper" as one joker alleged (I'd rate Chaps as about average among CFL OCs), but I think you have to give him a lot of credit for today's effort. Some new formations (loved the stacked I-formation). The offense racked up 420 yards of offense; that should have been enough to win. Big letdown by the D--lousy defensive play-calling and very bad tackling.

It's a big disappointment for us all, but I thought the players really played hard--particularly on offense. Let's hope we make the necessary changes for 2014, starting with D-line and safety, closely followed by O-line (which I thought played pretty well today).
Last edited by South Pender on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Agreed on the Paris Jackson holding call being a turning point, at least for the Lions offence as Moore had a nice gain that was called back. However, I will forever remember Banks horrible effort to try and stop Hughes where he he didn't even attempt to wrap him. Just need way more from one of the Lions all-time greats in that situation. And Keron Williams thanks for nothing this season. Now your days as a Lion could be numbered.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Nice to see Rod Black :clown: jumping for joy on the Riders bandwagon.
See, this is why I don't care how bloody far out of sync Ball's PxP is with TSN's broadcast.