2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Montreal looks to be a very sad team right now. Multiple injuries, too many aging past their best before date vets, questionable head coach, novice OC, hell they can't even seem to kick a field goal right now with any surety. Aside from a play or 2 tonight they just look sad. They played 3 QB's tonight. It appears that Vernon Adams wasn't one of them. They could well be in competition for the team with the worst record this season. Which makes it rather sad that I find myself kind of rooting for their failure owing to the 1st round pick that we get as a result of the trade that is likely to be a high one if indications at almost the 1/3 season point continue.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Montreal has to play three games in 10 days. They host Saskatchewan on Friday and the Lions next Thursday. I hope they don't turn it around before then. The Lions often struggle in Montreal. B.C. should be favoured in that game based on talent and coaching, but that doesn't count for much this year.
squishy35
Legend

Montreal's biggest issue is the lack of a solid Head Coach that the players respect and will play for. Jim Popp is a formidable GM in his own right, but the Duron Carter incident coupled with the Nik Lewis sound off shows me that he does not have the players believing in themselves as a unit. Until a solid HC that is separate from Popp's direct control is in place, Montreal will continue to languish......
pennw
Legend

squishy35 wrote:Montreal's biggest issue is the lack of a solid Head Coach that the players respect and will play for. Jim Popp is a formidable GM in his own right, but the Duron Carter incident coupled with the Nik Lewis sound off shows me that he does not have the players believing in themselves as a unit. Until a solid HC that is separate from Popp's direct control is in place, Montreal will continue to languish......
Montreal also has Kevin Glenn not helping their cause . A bad QB is going to make any coach look bad . I think they would have been better off developing one of the young guys.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

And then there is the talented Duran Carter who appears to believe that "You are only young once but you can be immature for the rest of your life".
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Visiting teams continue to dominate. Blue Bombers lead by Matt Nichols go into Edmonton and knock off the Eskimos 30-23. Andrew Harris had 22 carries for 127 yards.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm happy to see Winnipeg win and see Andrew Harris have another big game against the Eskimos. I'm happier to see Edmonton lose. The Eskimos are 1-3 at home this year, with the only victory coming in OT against Saskatchewan.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A BC win tomorrow coupled with tonight's Edmonton loss = purrfect
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders trailing Alouettes 22-0 at the half. Rider fans better put their victory parade on hold for another week.
Rodu
Champion

It's always nice to see Sask struggle, even nicer to see a Jones team suffer
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:It's always nice to see Sask struggle, even nicer to see a Jones team suffer
X2
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Away teams continue their dominance. Toronto defeat Ottawa 23-20 on 5 field goals by Lirim Hajruhallahu. The Commissioner announced before the game that Ottawa will host next year's Grey Cup
BC 1988
Legend

TOR just squeaking out the win in the last minute was very entertaining, more so than the first half. It was a pretty good debut for Kilgore (I kept thinking of "smells like victory" when I heard his name). The Argos are lucky Hajrullahu had a sub-par sophomore 2015 season, or WPG would never have released him. It's interesting how streaky kickers can be (Bede's struggles in MTL is noteworthy.)

This is another year of backup QBs being called on to step in. Only BC, EDM, and CGY have had their No. 1's start every game. (I hope the Lions can keep that streak going).
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I have given up all pretense on knowing what the outcome of a game should be. That Ottawa-Toronto tilt is a prime example. 2nd string QB starting his first professional game, on the road, facing a sure Hall of Fame QB (injury rust not withstanding), playing one of the acknowledged favourites to get to the Grey Cup and what happens, the Argo's win. Enough to make you shake your head. This year has been a prognostication nightmare. I would have had just as much success throwing darts at a board and seeing which side the dart lands on.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

^^^This.
Agree completely. I never gamble or bother with fantasy football. I watch the CFL because I've always loved the game. It's just this unpredictable "no lead is safe" quality that our game has to me is it's best quality. Sure, it really hurt watching BC throw away one of their best efforts you will ever see at McMahon, but that was a real showcase game for the league. (Last nights game in OTT much less so, but still pretty riveting to watch the outcome, and close right to the end.)

With MTL hammering SSK last week, BC might have a harder task than expected this Thursday (given the number of injury replacements coming in). But don't listen to me, I never try to guess the outcome :wink: