Training camp 2024

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Weather delay in Calgary affecting the Lions and Stamps.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Now 1:25 p.m. PT estimated game start:

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/25/stam ... ing-delay/
tedbear
Starter

Dickie running Blitz packages against scrub rookie personnel. Reminds me of last year win in exhibition games and do poorly in regular season. Mair looks like the same Mair 4 series against rookies 1 TD. Calgary will finish last in the west.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The first half went about as expected with the Stamps starting their vets against the Lions' rookies. Jake Dolegala and Dakota Prukop completed just 1 pass in their first 10 attempts before Prukop completed passes to Jalon Sample for 19 yards and Stanley Berryhill for 16 yards in the final minute. Prukop bounced several passes in front of receivers and was 4 of 9 for 56 yards in the half. Dolegala was just 1 of 7 for 8 yards. The highlight of the half for the Lions may have been Carl Meyer punting for 61 yards from his own 4 yard line and then booming a 42-yard field goal through the end zone on the final play.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chase Brice in the second half. The second year QB should have better command of the offence.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:56 pm
The first half went about as expected with the Stamps starting their vets against the Lions' rookies. Jake Dolegala and Dakota Prukop completed just 1 pass in their first 10 attempts before Prukop completed passes to Jalon Sample for 19 yards and Stanley Berryhill for 16 yards in the final minute. Prukop bounced several passes in front of receivers and was 4 of 9 for 56 yards in the half. Dolegala was just 1 of 7 for 8 yards. The highlight of the half for the Lions may have been Carl Meyer punting for 61 yards from his own 4 yard line and then booming a 42-yard field goal through the end zone on the final play.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chase Brice in the second half. The second year QB should have better command of the offence.
You have watched him in Kamloops B.C. FAN is Meyer a threat to Flintoff? Frees up an import spot to use elsewhere & he can kick FGs if need be too.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Where can you see these pre-season games live unless you're there?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnightofCydonia
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:26 pm
they're all streaming live on CFL+
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:08 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:56 pm

You have watched him in Kamloops B.C. FAN is Meyer a threat to Flintoff? Frees up an import spot to use elsewhere & he can kick FGs if need be too.
Meyer is a keeper. The Lions may have to keep him on the injured list all season but they can't let him get away. His punting is a bit inconsistent and he is not as accurate as Sean Whyte on routine field goals but he has at least 10 yards more range, and he has gotten better as camp has gone on.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

KnightofCydonia wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:33 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:26 pm
they're all streaming live on CFL+
I thought that they only showed those on a delayed basis. Thanks for the info.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Well that game was a horrible showing by the Lions. Meyer looked pretty good as a Global kicker/punter to replace Whyte when he retires or maybe he replaces American Flintoff as the punter. Brice was the best of the 3 QBs.

Maybe the game film will reveal some guys who played well but overall it was not a confidence builder if any of the starters get injured this season.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions camp that I attended the team looked very deep, hard to see any drop off, well other than QB. Very disappointed with the showing today. Some of it would have been vanilla playbook, but not picking up blitzes to poorly thrown balls on O. And same old story of the opposition running the ball at will, plus wide open receivers. I thought that this group was going to show well even against the Stamp starters. Didn’t really see anyone standing out to take a starting spot.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

After a somewhat encouraging performance in the opening half, didn’t like the fact the Stamps 3rd and 4th string QBs were shredding the secondary including Kent Jr on that catch near the goalline. Brice at least made some nice throws in the 4th quarter after some just awful throws by Dolegala and Prokup in the first half.

This team isn’t good enough that so many starters have zero concern about losing their jobs.
David
Team Captain

That was a bit disappointing.

* I thought the defense did quite well in the first half against a team of mostly Stampeder starters, holding them to only 13 points. Stamps could not get separation from our DBs. Things came apart a bit in the 2nd half as the Stamps completed a lot of passes.

* I expected more from the offence. No one really stepped up, making the coaches' jobs a bit easier. No production from our running backs. In fact, just 36 yards in team rushing. Hard to imagine they will keep their 2 rookie backs, but Terrell would be the one, if they put one on the PR. Field position was a problem most of the day.

* Hard to say whether they will keep 4 QBs. Brice showed me more than Prukop given his lack of experience (two Brice fumbles on the final play of the game though left me scratching my head, both in terms of execution and play-calling).

* Overall, the pass protection was not terrible considering the Oline consisted of all newcomers (with Peirson playing some centre). Just one Stampeder sack all afternoon (on a whiff by the RT) with several Stampeder blitzes, as I expected. Lots of hurries though, particularly in the first half resulting in a lot of incompletions and mistimed throws.

* Players who stood out for me = Patrice Rene, Francis Bemiy, Jordan Perryman, Carl Meyer. Stanley Berryhill looked like a competent returner too.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
tedbear
Starter

Looking at the positive side during the regular season when we lose a couple of starters those replacements usually stand out and get exposed. When having so many rookies playing together in vanilla offences and defences against a mostly veteran group it only takes 2 or 3 of them to make the rest look bad. Really hard to judge performances in a game like this. However we all hoped we would show better. I am disappointed but not overly concerned yet. Will be looking forward to next weeks game before I get too concerned.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Brice finished 10 of 16 for 128 yards leading the Lions' third-teamers against the Stamps' third teamers. Meyer was 2 of 2 on field goal attempts and was credited with 9 punts for an average of 47.3 yards. None of the other Lions' rookies seemed to make a strong case to be kept on the active roster.