CFL News re: TC's 2024- Not BC Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Talk about bad news for BO Levi. I hope he's not done injury wise but he's sure had bad luck.
Now waiting for the shoe to drop with Jeremiah Masoli - another QB who's in a horrible injury situation.

Bo Levi Mitchell spotted in walking boot at Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ practice
By 3Down Staff -May 8, 2024
After practice, head coach Scott Milanovich told Scianitti that Mitchell is dealing with swelling and that he should be ready to play when training camp gets underway next week, calling the boot “precautionary.”
GM Ed Hervey likening Bo's situation with Cavillo is a big stretch as AC wasn't injured like Bo IIRC. He just wasn't in a good situation.
“People thought Anthony Calvillo’s career was done. Then when (now-Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ head coach) Scott (Milanovich) and (Marc) Trestman got with A.C., things changed and he finished (his career) very strongly,” said Hervey.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't think Masoli was expected back until sometime into the regular season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:42 pm
I don't think Masoli was expected back until sometime into the regular season.
You are right and that makes it even a worse scenario.

In the Ottawa case, it'd look bad to part ways with him if he's not willing to exit but it strikes this observer that if you are hurt that bad, how can you possibly play safely if you return.

Meanwhile the Argos and Pinball are getting poop-kicked on Twitter and on 3 Down for being able to be at rookie camp.
One observer says it's not an "on field" suspension -it's a workplace suspension. This does make sense although CFL bargaining rules might see it differently.

I'd have thought MLSE would have good issues management people that would advise Chad to not come around given it's an allegation of this sort. Even if the accusations have little merit or if the bargaining agreement provides for this.

As the Argos seem to have not looked into this from the get go, this is a major cluster screw up that is overshadowing TC openings.

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/09/cfl- ... suspended/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Dave Naylor clarifies the CBA rules re: Kelly being able to come to practices here:

maxlion
Legend

Argos made an error in judgement in allowing Kelly to be around the team in these circumstances. I’m sure they will reconsider, perhaps with some persuasion from the league.

Can Masoli be released when he is injured? In any case, he brings some veteran leadership and a fall back plan if Brown falters, so I’d guess Redblacks are happy to keep him around for now.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Trust Dave Naylor to get a hold of summary of the CFL investigation.

It's not pretty for Kelly but unlike even some Argo fans, I believe Cameron Dukes is the real deal and can be a starter in the CFL. Saw Argo games on TV last year and this guy impressed me despite an error or two.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/dave-naylor-inde ... -1.2118960
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

In what world do you have 6 QBs to start the main TC after just cutting 2 QBs?
There are six quarterbacks remaining on the team’s roster:
McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Tre Ford, Jarret Doege, Malik Henry, Todd Centeio, and Woodrow Trey Lowe III.

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/11/elks ... ning-camp/
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 11:14 am
McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Tre Ford, Jarret Doege, Malik Henry, Todd Centeio, and Woodrow Trey Lowe III.

In Chris Jones' world. Great coach; not so great GM; not very good with QBs.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 11:14 am

I'd wager after next round of cuts next Wed they'll be down to 4. I guess it gets down to where the roster battles are. MBT and Ford are locks leaving 4 to battle for #3 and a possible PR spot. Maybe having so many for rookie camp made it a bit more difficult to decide which 2 really have earned the main camp spots. Personally I think no more than 4 should be necessary. Right now 5 teams show 4, Riders list 5, Ottawa had 7 but are effectively at 5 due to injuries to Masoli and Adams. Elks and Calgary have 6. Riders are a curious case in that 4 of their 5 are returning vets. One would normally expect if a team was bringing 5 to camp at least 2 would be fresh blood.
maxlion
Legend

I recall Jeff Tedford in 2015 bringing in I think 7 QBs to camp in the search for an heir apparent to Travis Lulay. That's how they found Jon Jennings. I remember at the time it seemed like a well thought-out plan given Lulay's injury history, and it turned out pretty well, at least for a couple of years.
don corleone
All Star

Surprised to see Terry Godwin released.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Jalen Edwards-Cooper released by Riders. No particular reason given. Possibly failed medical?

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/12/sask ... ds-cooper/

EDIT: Mace has clarified that the reason for release is he's still not fully recovered from the dislocated shoulder injury suffered in the Lions 2nd last regular season game in 2023. He failed the medical.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:42 am
Jalen Edwards-Cooper released by Riders. No particular reason given. Possibly failed medical?

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/12/sask ... ds-cooper/

EDIT: Mace has clarified that the reason for release is he's still not fully recovered from the dislocated shoulder injury suffered in the Lions 2nd last regular season game in 2023. He failed the medical.
Did the Lions know Edwards-Cooper's shoulder injury was still lingering, so they didn't re-sign him in Free Agency? And then the Riders give him a signing bonus without checking his shoulder????
don corleone
All Star

DanoT wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 12:18 pm
Did the Lions know Edwards-Cooper's shoulder injury was still lingering, so they didn't re-sign him in Free Agency? And then the Riders give him a signing bonus without checking his shoulder????
Good thing they did not re-new Craig Dickenson cause everyone else is a genius.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 1:26 pm
DanoT wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 12:18 pm
Good thing they did not re-new Craig Dickenson cause everyone else is a genius.
If Riders were to put Edwards-Cooper on the 6 game IR, they would have to pay him but it would not count against the SMS. By releasing him they may have just said something like: we have already paid you $20k, don't move to Regina just yet but call us when the shoulder is 100%.