NFL road rocky for Rourke after Patriots draft QB

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If Rourke becomes available to the CFL, all 9 teams would try to sign him. If he signed with the Lions they would trade or outright release Adams. However I think Rourke tries the NFL for at least 2 more years and possibly longer, before he would consider a return to the CFL.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:42 pm
How about these teams for Rourke:

1. New York Giants: The Giants have a need for a developmental quarterback behind Daniel Jones. Rourke could learn from Jones and compete for the backup role.

2. Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks have Geno Smith and Drew Lock as their top two quarterbacks, but neither has proven to be a long-term solution. Rourke could provide competition and potentially develop into a starter in the future.

3. Washington Commanders: The Commanders have Carson Wentz as their starting quarterback, but he has a history of injuries and inconsistent play. Rourke could provide depth and potentially compete for the starting job.

4. Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons have Marcus Mariota and Desmond Ridder as their quarterbacks, but both are relatively unproven. Rourke could add depth and competition to the position.

5. Indianapolis Colts: The Colts have Matt Ryan as their starting quarterback, but he is 37 years old and may not have much time left. Rourke could be groomed as his eventual successor.

These are just a few potential fits for Nathan Rourke, but ultimately, the best team for him will depend on his individual development and the specific needs and circumstances of each team.
Toppy is this a repost from early 2023 when Rourke was still shopping his services around the NFL? Looks like all those situations are what those teams were dealing with back in 2022. Of the 7 QBs you mention only Jones and Smith are still with the teams listed. Most of the rest moved on to new teams prior to last season. Ryan hasn't played since Indy released him last spring. He recently signed the obligatory 1 day contract to retire as a Falcon.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

*sigh*

If we really want to keep kicking this NFL can, you're down to really four practical choices.

The Raiders, who are going to play mediocre QB roulette all year.
The Rams whose starter is aging and whose backup has a hard time staying out of police cars.
The Cardinals who have only Desmond Ridder behind Kyler Murray.
And maybe the Packers, who really don't have much beyond Jordan Love.

But frankly, I'd just come back up north and pick the franchise I want to spend the next decade leading at this point.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Might as well kick the can down the NFL road because we know unequivocally Rourke will be doing just that this year.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Unquestionably Hambone in the CFL Rourke would be snapped up in a eye blink.

I 'm actually thinking that Argos sans Kelly will be just fine as Cameron Duke looks like a starter to me.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Dusty
Champion

Sources reporting Rourke claimed by NY Giants
squishy35
Legend

Dusty wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:09 pm
Sources reporting Rourke claimed by NY Giants
https://3downnation.com/2024/05/07/nath ... ed-giants/

This is a good thing for Nathan. Hopefully he has a great pre-season and opens some eyes as to what he brings to the table.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I considered Giants in my list but given they have Jones, traded for Lock and still have fan favourite and local kid Devito just didn't think they'd do it. Having said that they seem to be approaching crossroads with Jones. Who knows about Lock. Devito as a rookie I think posted a 3-2 record starting but they weren't Rembrandts.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:39 pm
I considered Giants in my list but given they have Jones, traded for Lock and still have fan favourite and local kid Devito just didn't think they'd do it. Having said that they seem to be approaching crossroads with Jones. Who knows about Lock. Devito as a rookie I think posted a 3-2 record starting but they weren't Rembrandts.
Lock has an NFL career 9 & 14 record as a starter and an under 60% completion rate. (= very, very weak these days in pro ball)

Danny DeVito might be a new fan fave there though.

Nathan might be in tough there competing with QB talents of that level. :rotf: :bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Given the amount of Canadian talent in the coaching and scouting ranks of the Giants he might actually get a legit chance to compete.
To date it reminds me of kicker Havard Rugland who

I thought Nathan Rourke must be getting some great advice on his decision to leave the CFL but now I'm not so sure and he could end up like Chris Streveler despite his higher level of achievement as a one year starter and much more promise.

I'm wondering if Rourke should have actually built up a greater body of work before this NFL dream venture of his.

Hambone: I used a websearch AI site for the list and it sat on my Mac as a draft for a few hours as I got called away and eventually came back and IIRC it was close to dinner and decided to post it without editing it. I changed nothing but added a header. It did list on old information, NY Giants as a potential landing ground.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I initially thought that Rourke would develop his skill set quickly by playing in the CFL and then trying the NFL in a few years vs holding an NFL clip board right away. However I now believe he has a better shot at an NFL career by going after it sooner than later. He just has to accept the team to team gypsy aspect that not being drafted and not being from a Div 1 school entails.

What Rourke really needs now is a bit of luck just getting with the right coaching staff that will actually give him oppourtunities.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 am
Given the amount of Canadian talent in the coaching and scouting ranks of the Giants he might actually get a legit chance to compete.
To date it reminds me of kicker Havard Rugland who

I thought Nathan Rourke must be getting some great advice on his decision to leave the CFL but now I'm not so sure and he could end up like Chris Streveler despite his higher level of achievement as a one year starter and much more promise.

I'm wondering if Rourke should have actually built up a greater body of work before this NFL dream venture of his.

Hambone: I used a websearch AI site for the list and it sat on my Mac as a draft for a few hours as I got called away and eventually came back and IIRC it was close to dinner and decided to post it without editing it. I changed nothing but added a header. It did list on old information, NY Giants as a potential landing ground.
I doubt highly that an extra year of CFL would have done anything to further his career path in the NFL. That league has little respect for the CFL as too many in the Coaching ranks seem to be fixated on the idea that everything that is great in the NFL comes from the US. And if it doesn't fit into a neat little prototype NFL looking package, even US players get the short shrift. Rourke made more money last year warming a bench than he would have made in the CFL as a starter minus the wear and tear. He should stick it out another year. If he gets nowhere after that, then he has options to come back to the CFL, be a career backup in the NFL or do something else. Damn shame for fans but might as well grab the money while he can get it. The window is small and doesn't stay open for long.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not that it means much but at least the HC knows something about him.

It sure doesn't look like a better situation than he started out with the Jaguars and in some ways look worse.

Is this because the starter Daniel Jones is nursing an ACL and this gives them an interim starter in Drew Lock with back up and later to be no. 3 Tommy DeVito and Rourke if they keep him on the PR?

‘Did some good stuff in the CFL’: Brian Daboll explains why New York Giants claimed Canadian QB Nathan Rourke
By Justin Dunk -May 10, 2024
“Thought it was a good claim. Joe [Schoen] put a claim in, we got him. Have another arm,” Daboll said. “Did some good stuff in the CFL. Watched his stuff at Jacksonville. He was at the Patriots. Thought he was a good player to add. We thought Nathan was a good player to add to the roster.”
https://3downnation.com/2024/05/10/did- ... an-rourke/

NFL Rumors: Giants Not Only Team To Put In Claim For Ex-Patriots QB
Nathan Rourke had multiple suitors on waivers
ADAM LONDON MAY 8 | 10:33 AM 2 MIN READ
The Falcons also put in a waiver claim for Rourke, according to a report Wednesday morning from ESPN’s Adam Schefter. But since Brian Daboll’s side was higher on the NFL’s priority list than Raheem Morris’, the 25-year-old ended up in the Meadowlands rather than Atlanta.

https://nesn.com/2024/05/nfl-rumors-gia ... 1ClZr3Iky9
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The Giants gave Jones a $90 million contract.
Drew Lock was a first round pick who has seen the NFL field.
DeVito is terrible, but good for PR as he's a local boy.

The last time Rourke was in that room, the geniuses in that franchise tried to convert him to receiver.

It's inarguably as bad as the Falcons putting a claim in on him.

He's camp fodder. This is tiresome. Get back to Canada and be a HOFer.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:06 pm
The Giants gave Jones a $90 million contract.
Drew Lock was a first round pick who has seen the NFL field.
DeVito is terrible, but good for PR as he's a local boy.

The last time Rourke was in that room, the geniuses in that franchise tried to convert him to receiver.

It's inarguably as bad as the Falcons putting a claim in on him.

He's camp fodder. This is tiresome. Get back to Canada and be a HOFer.
The Giants had Rourke in their camp previously and only looked at him as a receiver; they let him go; he goes to the CFL and lights it up. This Giants realize the mistake they made the first time with Rourke and bring him back as a QB tryout. Why would they bother if all they think of him is as camp fodder? I think they know what they have in Rourke, more than most other NFL teams.