Western Final - Remember to stay for the Trophy Presentation

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Another interesting fact that I want to point out is that in the NHL, the championship team pictures will usually include other trophies that were won in the playoffs in addition to the Stanley Cup. Below are the championship team pictures of the 2000-01 Colorado Avalanche and 1999-00 New Jersey Devils.

[img]http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/Leg ... TC2001.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/Leg ... TC2000.jpg[/img]

In these pictures, you can clearly see the Campbell Bowl, Prince of Wales Trophy, Presidents' Trophy, and Conn Smythe Trophy.

But in this championship team picture of the 2000 BC Lions:
[img]http://www.lionbackers.com/album/albums ... champs.jpg[/img]

Where is the Piffles Taylor Trophy and why aren't Robert Drummond and Sean Millington holding their individual Grey Cup awards?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

According to this very informative web page:

http://www.geocities.com/cflhistory/CFL ... /index.htm

Each of the individual CFL trophy awards actually have names:

Outstanding Player: Terry Evanshen Trophy
Outstanding Lineman: Leo Dandurand Trophy
Outstanding Rookie: Frank M. Gibson Trophy
Outstanding Canadian: Lew Hayman Trophy
Outstanding Defensive Player: James P. McCafferey Trophy

However, according to this picture, even though each of the trophies have different names, they all look the same!

Robbie
Hall of Famer

I found this other picture of Paul Osbaldiston holding the former CFL Eastern Cup after the 1998 Eastern Final. The reason I couldn't find this picture before is because I kept doing a search for "CFL Eastern Championship Trophy" instead of "CFL Eastern Cup", which is what I believe was the name of this trophy.

If you want to make a case of inequalities, then you can make one out of the former CFL division championship trophies. If I were a player on a west division championship team, I can complain that it is unfair because the players in the east division can celebrate with champagne by drinking that out of the Eastern Cup. But I cannot do the same as the Piffles Taylor trophy that was awarded to me cannot hold any champagne! :lol:

Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of photos of this trophy around -- it's just that nobody's bothered to put them on a website.
You may be right. Aside from the two that I've already posted, I found this third picture of the trophy. Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker Calvin Tiggle is holding it during a consolation gathering at Hamilton City Hall two days after losing the 1998 Grey Cup.

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Wow. Look how far away the trophies are from them. Are the Avs afraid of catching a disease from any of the trophies? I mean, who knows where that Cup's been. Hell, the trophies look photoshopped in that pic. The Devils one looks much more normal.
hoonsagain
Starter

I can't get very excited about a Division Championship trophy. Not in a nine team league. The only one that counts, the one with a history richer than any North American sports trophy.......is the Grey Cup. I don't think there should even be a Division Championship trophy. What's the deal with the individual player awards? They should be unique, like in the NHL. Oh well, at least the Grey Cup is beautiful. So is the Stanley Cup. NBA, NFL, MLB..... all ugly trophies with little history. You'd think that sports that proclaim their winners "World Champions" (that's always bothered me!), could come up with nice trophies. And on that subject, why is it that the American based sports award their trophies to the owner of the team? WTF???? I like the CFL and the NHL, where the trophy award and celebration is all about the players, not the rich fat owners. Sorry for the rant......GO Lions! :thup:
Football is not a contact sport. It's a collision sport. Dancing is a... contact sport. ~Duffy Daugherty
Robbie
Hall of Famer

hoonsagain wrote:Oh well, at least the Grey Cup is beautiful. So is the Stanley Cup. NBA, NFL, MLB..... all ugly trophies with little history. You'd think that sports that proclaim their winners "World Champions" (that's always bothered me!), could come up with nice trophies.
Could that be the reason why in the NBA, NFL, and MLB, the champions could permanently keep their championship trophies and a new one is issued ever year, whereas in the CFL and NHL, the champions only have temporary possession of the championship trophy and must return it to the league before the start of the next season? That's the tradeoff for having a nice trophy - you don't get to permanently keep it.

I posted a picture similar to this one of the New England Patriots victory parade on February 8 of this year. They brought along all three of their Vince Lombardi trophies. Some of you mentioned that the appearance of the previous two trophies was unnecessary and in fact, makes things look silly.

[img]http://www.mma.org/news/images/pats_pic ... e05_lg.jpg[/img]
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:I posted a picture similar to this one of the New England Patriots victory parade on February 8 of this year. They brought along all three of their Vince Lombardi trophies.
It looks like the Los Angeles Lakers did the same thing at their victory celebration for their third straight NBA championship in June 2002.

hoonsagain
Starter

I still like the idea of the one trophy being awarded on a temporary basis to the winning team each year. It somehow makes the trophy more sacred, or something.
Football is not a contact sport. It's a collision sport. Dancing is a... contact sport. ~Duffy Daugherty
Eddie Bronze

I've never posted on lionbackers before and I'm not a Lions fan, although I certainly don't hate your team. All I wanted to say is that I'm saying a prayer for you guys and I hope to hell you kick the crap outta those ******** from up North this Sunday. Send them home with their tail between their legs!
Even though I'm a Stamps fan, I'll be cheering just as hard for you guys on Sunday as I was for our team all year. Go Lions!
pinkfreud

Eddie Bronze wrote:I've never posted on lionbackers before and I'm not a Lions fan, although I certainly don't hate your team. All I wanted to say is that I'm saying a prayer for you guys and I hope to hell you kick the crap outta those ******** from up North this Sunday. Send them home with their tail between their legs!
Even though I'm a Stamps fan, I'll be cheering just as hard for you guys on Sunday as I was for our team all year. Go Lions!
That's a great first post as far as I'm concerned EB! Thanks for the well wishes! Something tells me the football gods will be in our favour this Sunday!

:wave:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

hoonsagain wrote:I still like the idea of the one trophy being awarded on a temporary basis to the winning team each year. It somehow makes the trophy more sacred, or something.
The concept of temporary trophies also applies to the individual player awards in the NHL. As many Hart and other NHL trophies that Gretzky may have won, none of the currently sit in his trophy cabinet. I said before that the individual player awards in the CFL look very generic as they all look the same, but that is the tradeoff of the trophy being permanently for keeps. So this means that Doug Flutie has six identical trophies showing a player tacking another in his trophy case for his six most outstanding player awards.

In the NHL, I think the only trophy that is permanently for keeps with a new one issued every year is the Bud Light All-Star game MVP award. That may explain why the crystal trophy is more plain looking compared to the other individual awards. For you Canucks and Markus Naslund fans, were you upset that he didn't win the 2002 game all-star game MVP, which went to Eric Daze? Both Naslund and Daze were tied in the lead for point totals with 2 goals and 1 assist, but the nod should go to Naslund given that he played on the winning team and scored the winning goal. Unfortunately, the MVP voting was already completed before Naslund scored his winning goal late in the game.

Should Markus Naslund be holding this trophy instead?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

This is certainly a very sad loss for the Lions and to not see them hold this trophy. How many of you stayed for the presentation anyways? I saw it from a distance. Thanks to all of you who participated in my thread.

David
Team Captain

Where's Huey in this picture? Oh that's right. He was handing out padded envelopes in the referee's dressing room when this was taken. :lol:

As Paul Chapman stated on the TEAM1040 tonight, the refs are currently being fitted for Grey Cup rings. :rotf:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar