Western Final - Remember to stay for the Trophy Presentation

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

I've been waiting a very long time to post this reminder message, and now that BC will be hosting the western final, I will finally be able to post this.

Shortly after the BC Lions won the 2004 Western Final, I created a thread about the newly designed trophy that was awarded to the Lions for winning the Western Division. I wrote about how it was not the Piffles Taylor trophy as it was silver trophy in the shape of a half-Maple Leaf that reminded me of the old Canada Cup trophy that was used in past international hockey tournaments.

Anyways, the thread that I created eventually turned into one about how many of you regretted not hanging around and leaving the stadium immediately after the game as you did not know there was going to be a trophy presentation. Because that was the case, then let this message serve as a reminder that just like many other professional sports leagues, the CFL also awards trophies to the semi-final, division winners. So especially if the Lions win, stick around and applaud for them as they hoist the Western Division Championship trophy.

Last year, Mark Washington was the first player to hoist the trophy after it was first presented to David Braley and then passed to Wally Buono. I wonder who will be the first player to hoist it this year.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

last year washington was first and o'missey was second.

this year if we win, o'missey should be last :shock:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:last year washington was first and o'missey was second.
Are you sure about that? I thought Dave Dickenson was the second player to hoist the trophy. I clearly remember that picture in which Washington was holding up the trophy while Dickenson looked on. And certainly not every player got to hold it, at least not on the field, as the team retreated to their locker room with few people remaining in the stands.
Don Miller
Legend

:rockin: We need to get our A game back or we will only be hoisting empties..
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:last year washington was first and o'missey was second.
Are you sure about that? I thought Dave Dickenson was the second player to hoist the trophy. I clearly remember that picture in which Washington was holding up the trophy while Dickenson looked on. And certainly not every player got to hold it, at least not on the field, as the team retreated to their locker room with few people remaining in the stands.
i video taped it and unless the camera lost 2 or 3 seconds im pretty sure o'missey was second and then dickenson.

dickenson should of been second but o'missey kicked the game winning field goal.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
hexx

why do people clear the building so fast after a win like that? stay a while and soak it up.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I also remember last year after the game winning FG, Buono explicitly told his players not to pour water down his back as they were preparing to do so. I clearly saw him put out his hand and decline a soak. Afterwards in the off-season, we figured out why due to Buono's health problems. I wonder if Buono will let his players give him a winning soak this year if the Lions win.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

For those of you who attended the 1963, 1964, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, and 1999 Western Finals that were held in Vancouver, did any of you stay for the Piffles Taylor Trophy presentation (to either team) after the game?

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/gallery ... pic_id=762

Moving from the Western Division Championship Trophy to the Grey Cup now, I noticed another aspect that Vancouver had the honour of presenting. As you may remember, Vancouver hosted both the 1986 and 1987 Grey Cups, and that was the last time the same city hosted consecutive Grey Cups. The Grey Cup trophy has gone through three versions. Below are three pictures of the Grey Cup from 1909 - 1949, 1950 - 1986, and 1987 - Present. I'm glad the CFL expanded the Cup by adding a large base to it in 1987 because the original two cups were rather small by professional sports league championship trophy standards.

Anyways, my point is that for those of you who attended the 1986 Grey Cup in which Hamilton beat Edmonton 39-15, that was the last time you saw the second version of the Cup being presented. And for those of you who attended the classic 1987 Grey Cup in which Edmonton beat Toronto in the 38-36 thriller, that was the first time you saw the large, extended, current version of the Cup being presented.

Last edited by Robbie on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
crburrows
Champion

Anyways, the thread that I created eventually turned into one about how many of you regretted not hanging around and leaving the stadium immediately after the game as you did not know there was going to be a trophy presentation.
Indeed.

I hope for three things:
  • - An announcement at the three minute warning.
    - A centre-field presentation.
    - Interviews on the DiamondVision.
It'd be great to see the whole team around a stage with some showing off and blah blah blah.

I do remember after the 2004 WDC that Casey came around to Sec 10 and waved and blew kisses to the girls. That was great.

Anything to connect the players to the fans is good. Heck, have the Lieutenant Governor present the trophy. Mike-up the MVP's and all. Make it as much of a spectacle as possible.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

crburrows wrote:Make it as much of a spectacle as possible.
Yes, all that is good. But for the Western Final and the Grey Cup as well, we don't want a repeat of the 1994 Grey Cup where after the game, so many fans stormed the field that the decision was made to move the Grey Cup presentation to the locker room instead.
NYCFLFAN
Rookie

Does anybody know why the CFL does not have pictures of the Division Championship trophies on their website? I'd really like to know. Thanks!!!
slowhand_bc

Very interesting! I had no idea that the Taylor Trophy had been retired (first pic I've seen of it in ages). What's the name of the new Western trophy and any pics available?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

slowhand_bc wrote:Very interesting! I had no idea that the Taylor Trophy had been retired (first pic I've seen of it in ages). What's the name of the new Western trophy and any pics available?
There isn't a name other than "West Division Championship Trophy". There aren't any pictures available on http://www.cfl.ca. Last year, photog took a picture of Wally Buono holding the trophy, but I don't know why that photo is not in the gallery section.
Does anybody know why the CFL does not have pictures of the Division Championship trophies on their website? I'd really like to know. Thanks!!!
That issue was brought up last year. No, the CFL does not have any information on the Division Championship Trophies, be it the new or old ones. I still do not know what the former, if any, trophy was that was awarded to the eastern division champions. I know that the Piffles Taylor trophy was last awarded to the 2003 Edmonton Eskimos, but I don't know when it was first awarded.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
That issue was brought up last year. No, the CFL does not have any information on the Division Championship Trophies, be it the new or old ones. I still do not know what the former, if any, trophy was that was awarded to the eastern division champions. I know that the Piffles Taylor trophy was last awarded to the 2003 Edmonton Eskimos, but I don't know when it was first awarded.
I am completely baffled that the league did not hold a press conference to unveil those new WF/EF trophies last year (unless I completely missed it), especially since they actually look quite good. I recall that the response to them on here was very positive. I wonder will they have Scotiabank logos/wordmarks on them this year now that they're title sponsors?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.