Lions vs. Elks July 29, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blitz wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:40 pm
Good ol Wally!! The "Legends' work continues!! :)
"At 0-8, with 21 consecutive home losses and a scoreboard that’s become out of reach, nothing is funny. And minor moves aren’t going to pacify a justifiably furious fan base. Or what’s left of it, anyway.

Head coach and general manager Chris Jones and club president and CEO Victor Cui are easy — and fair — targets. But what about the current and previous board of directors?

What about the Wally Buono-led search and then-chairman of the board Ian Murray, who decided to offer Jones four years, (and what may be a fully guaranteed four years)? They, along with current board members — Tom Richards, Kara Flynn, Brent Hesje, Mike Bacchus, Darryl Boessenkool, Kevin Parkes, Zahra Somani, Paul Ingram and Jordan Slator — are the real captains of this ship that just hit rock bottom.

Edmonton Sun
WELCOME BACK BLITZ. !!!

Is this a one-off visit or are you back to stay?
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm not sure Dano.....I still read Lionbackers but really have better things to do than be on the end of a spear from colleagues.:)

I guess I will wait and see. But, based on the good ol days, i couldn't resist writing the post.

Its always good to read you on Lionbackers Dano!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

What blows my mind Dano is not only the hiring of a completely useless coordinator in McAdoo but they replace him with Jarious Jackson, who McAdoo mentored and is a complete clone of McAdoo.

If I was hiring any ex-Leo who had played in the days of Buono, I would be looking for someone who either played or assisted under Dave Ritchie or Rich Stubler because they would understand defensive concepts. But if they didn't all they would know is a four man rush and a passive simple zone defense because that is what the Great Mentor thought was best.

Offensively, I would not want a purist spread offensive coordinator , and especially an ex-Leo offensive coach, or worse still, am ex Leo zone read offensive coordinator such as Jarious.

Jarious took a previously successful quarterback in Jonathan Jennings and destroyed his confidence and then threw him under the bus. He also took a former MOP quarterback in Travis Lulay and made him look like a struggling rookie with deer in the headlights syndrome, quarterbacking Little Flower Academy against powerhouse Notre Dame. The only bell ringer at Notre Dame in this scenario was the bell being rung in Travis Lulay's head as he was getting hit hard on every play.

Jarious was already the passing game coordinator in Edmonton this season. Based on that body of work, do you think he deserved a promotion.

Jarious is going to become the next Joe Paopao of coaches...useless and always hired by someone for some reason that is beyond me. Jarious should have remained a quarterback coach just like Benny needed to remain a speical teams coordinator.

As Clint Eastwood said "A man has to know his limitations!! :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Wally, err I mean Jones, instead of benching his QB, who he overpaid with a contract extension to start the season; he moves his OC to a "consultant" role and promotes his QB coach to OC, who then benches the starting QB. Thus Jones doesn't have to admit to a mistake with his starting QB as it is now the new OC's decision. It's politics worthy of Wally, imo.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Everyone knows that the secret to winning is execution not the schemes.
Blitz
Team Captain

:beer: :wink:

No kidding Dano. The 'Great Mentor' inspires!! :bang:

What a gong show in Edmonton. Its still shocking to me, after all those years of the Evil Empire and how good they were. One can predict a time when a team that was championship calibre would need to rebuild but who could have ever predicted this in Edmonton.

With Geroy as assistant GM and Jarious running the show, its gotta turn around. :roll:

Or maybe they should just throw in the towel, :towel: never hire Wally as a consultant again, and bring back Huey for some really sound advice. :beauty:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:31 pm
What blows my mind Dano is not only the hiring of a completely useless coordinator in McAdoo but they replace him with Jarious Jackson, who McAdoo mentored and is a complete clone of McAdoo.

If I was hiring any ex-Leo who had played in the days of Buono, I would be looking for someone who either played or assisted under Dave Ritchie or Rich Stubler because they would understand defensive concepts. But if they didn't all they would know is a four man rush and a passive simple zone defense because that is what the Great Mentor thought was best.

Offensively, I would not want a purist spread offensive coordinator , and especially an ex-Leo offensive coach, or worse still, am ex Leo zone read offensive coordinator such as Jarious.

Jarious took a previously successful quarterback in Jonathan Jennings and destroyed his confidence and then threw him under the bus. He also took a former MOP quarterback in Travis Lulay and made him look like a struggling rookie with deer in the headlights syndrome, quarterbacking Little Flower Academy against powerhouse Notre Dame. The only bell ringer at Notre Dame in this scenario was the bell being rung in Travis Lulay's head as he was getting hit hard on every play.

Jarious was already the passing game coordinator in Edmonton this season. Based on that body of work, do you think he deserved a promotion.

Jarious is going to become the next Joe Paopao of coaches...useless and always hired by someone for some reason that is beyond me. Jarious should have remained a quarterback coach just like Benny needed to remain a speical teams coordinator.

As Clint Eastwood said "A man has to know his limitations!! :wink:
Welcome back Blitz!!!! Terrific post.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Indeed, I don't think the lingering shadow that was the Wally Buono era could more aptly layed bare. The years of watching the same program unfold where talented , promising players were slowly ground down under an oppressive and increasingly ineffective philosophy. It's funny how time can take a saviour and turn him into a blight. Much like a field can be less and less productive when the farmer continually plants the same crop year after year without regard for the health of the field. I wasn't generally aware of the Buono role in Edmonton but the state the Elks find themselves in now makes purrfect sense given our experiences of the Buono era. The stubborn adherence to a football philosophy, inability to adapt, players losing hope and confidence. Feels like reacquainting with a familiar but uncomfortable pair of shoes.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
maxlion
Legend

Blitz emerges from his cave to once again rehash ancient grievances with Wally Buono! Who could have predicted?

Frankly, Jones never struck me as a Wally type. Sure he was on the shortlist of candidates Wally provided, but not sure that he would’ve been Wally’s first choice. But who knows. Jones does his own thing, that’s obvious.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'd read differing stories. I'd read that Wally recommended Jones to the EE BOD. I'd also read that Wally didn't recommend Jones but the BOD hired him anyways. No idea which was true.

As for JJ and McAdoo damned if they do, damned if they don't. Maintaining status quo and expecting different results reeks of the old adage of definition of insanity. They had to do something to shake things up in hopes of better results and mid season options are limited. While it might be a desperate move it was nonetheless a move that was available. Even if it injects even a temporary breath of life in Edmonton's woeful offense it will be worth it. At this point all they are doing is buying time until the offseason when they can make the sorts of changes that are needed with the full coaching talent pool available.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Its been nice and cozy in the cave!! :wink: I think I needed the sabbatical after watching our Leos down 25-0 on Wally Buono Night and then suffering through the 48-8 embarrassment of a playoff game against Hamilton to end that 8-10 season.

The good news about the cave was that there was a television inside - an old 20 inch black and white version with lousy reception. But I did enjoy seeing Wally's choice of a GM in Ed Hervey given his marching orders and his very expensive choice of quarterback (Mike Reilly) retire.

Last season was something special in getting to see Nathan Rourke shine. It was a special season and a favorite, along with the 2016 season with Jonahan Jennings, the 2011 season with Travis Lulay at the helm and Andrew Harris in the backfield (what a shame Wally did not want to sign him again when his contract came up), the 1977 Cardiac Kids led by Jerry Tagge, and the first Leos Grey Cup team, the 1964 'Roar You Lions Roar' edition with Joe Kapp, Willie Fleming, and Norm Fieldgate.

One of the most pleasing aspects of this season is watching two outstanding Canadian linebackers in Ben Hldadk and Bo Lokombo lead an excellent Leos defense along with the excellent coaching of Ryan Phillips, one of my all time fave Leo defensive backs.

Wally Buono consulting for Edmonton Elks as they hire new GM
By 3Down Staff -November 22, 2021

Wally Buono has agreed to consult and advise the club in the hiring a new general manager, the team announced, with a decision expected to be made named before the end of 2021.

“Wally is unrivalled as a winner in this league and we have every confidence that with his help we will find the general manager that will lead this team back to excellence,” said Ian Murray, the Chair of the Board of Directors, in a press release.

The Elks are looking to hire a new head coach and general manager after they let go Jaime Elizondo and Brock Sunderland along with president Chris Presson. Hall of fame head coach and general manager Wally Buono is leading the search as a consultant.
[/quote]
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:40 pm
Good ol Wally!! The "Legends' work continues!! :)
"At 0-8, with 21 consecutive home losses and a scoreboard that’s become out of reach, nothing is funny. And minor moves aren’t going to pacify a justifiably furious fan base. Or what’s left of it, anyway.

Head coach and general manager Chris Jones and club president and CEO Victor Cui are easy — and fair — targets. But what about the current and previous board of directors?

What about the Wally Buono-led search and then-chairman of the board Ian Murray, who decided to offer Jones four years, (and what may be a fully guaranteed four years)? They, along with current board members — Tom Richards, Kara Flynn, Brent Hesje, Mike Bacchus, Darryl Boessenkool, Kevin Parkes, Zahra Somani, Paul Ingram and Jordan Slator — are the real captains of this ship that just hit rock bottom.

Edmonton Sun

I thought that was a flawed process entirely at the time and given Wally's history of hiring Mike Benevides as HC (well before he was ready) and Jeff Tedford (without even an interview as to what he'd do with the team) should have been a red flag.

Who the *bleep" brings in someone from outside to do this hiring? This entire process and the group involved were flawed and the results would likely be flawed as they've turned out.

Chris Jones was hired by Esks but left and then did the same to the Riders.

All that drama alone should have made them sever the GM role from HC and if Jones didn't like it hire someone else.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buono has a history of poor hires for coach and GM's (Benevides, Tedford, Hervey)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:07 am
Who the *bleep" brings in someone from outside to do this hiring? This entire process and the group involved were flawed and the results would likely be flawed as they've turned out.
That's one of the flaws of community-owned sports organizations. When they cleaned house of their President, GM & Coach at the end of the 2021 season all it left them with to recruit a new GM & HC was the BOD who are all volunteers full of accounting & finance expertise but no football background save for Tom Richards (now Chair of the BOD). And Richards was 30 years removed from his days as a player with Edmonton. As soon as Richards was done playing it was on to a career as an Investment Advisor. Today he's a VP & Investment Advisor with CIBC Wood Gundy.

Replacing a club President always takes time; something in very short supply when time was of the essence to replace the GM & HC. Waiting for a new President to come in to start recruiting a new GM was a non-starter. Most believe Cui was an excellent hire but he didn't come on board until 2 months after Presson was let go. That's actually quite quick for hiring a President or CEO of any organization. They needed to start the recruitment process for GM & HC the minute BS & JE were let go. To wait until the new President was in place would leave them having to scrap-heap the still unemployed who didn't secure a job when everybody else was doing their hiring a month previous.

Whether or not Wally was the right guy can easily be debated. I'd be willing to wager former EE President and still Lions President Rick LeLacheur recommended Wally to the Elks. Unless EE wanted to have their BOD handle the recruiting of the new GM & HC they were going to need someone from outside the organization with FOPs contacts and experience to provide input.

Funny thing is at the time he was hired one would be hard pressed to find any Elks fans who saw Jones as not being a good hire outside of their concern for his mercenary attitude that could see him bolt at any time. Back then they'd probably want to demobilize his car to keep him from leaving town. Now they'd happily drive him to the airport for the next flight out.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Welcome back Blitz, throughly enjoy reading your perspective, among others on Lionbackers.

Karma took its time on the EE, but it has laid down the law upon its arrival. Top that off with Chris Janine’s leading the team through this, it is Karma doing a two for one.
Entertainment value = an all time low