New Rules for 2023 - 6

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

1. Holding in The Endzone:

The new option is a choice of taking a Safety.

The example is holding to protect your QB while the offending holder is in the end zone.
The argument in 3 Down is that now you may as well as take the penalty as there is little punishment.

Does this make more judgment calls for the officials - was the holder in the end zone or outside.

2. No More than 6 players within two yards of the LOS on either side of the long snapper on FG and Convert kicks

Safety issue for the long snapper.

What about punts?

3. Avoidable Contact with an Official - command centre to decide.
Rule designed to keep sidelines clear of coaches, players etc.

4. Rouge:
Ball does not need to be touched by the kick-returning team on a kickoff - same as all other kicking plays.

5. The league made a number of changes to the starting position of drives ahead of the 2022 season and these changes have continued for 2023:

Under the new rules, teams will scrimmage at the 30-yard line when a kicked ball strikes the goal post in flight and when a team records an interception or fumble recovery in their own goal area. The ball will also be moved up five additional yards when a penalty or ruling awards possession of the ball to the opponent. Penalties that occur in the goal area will be applied from the 30 or 15-yard line, dependent upon the foul.

6. No having both a 0 and a 00 (pick just one or the other) due to statistical and scouting systems

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/08/cfl- ... 23-season/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

They’re all just minor tweaks this year. I like the possibility of a rouge on kickoffs. It’s consistent with other aspects of the kicking game. There is no free field position for kicks through the end zone. It will make kickoffs more interesting on blustery Prairie afternoons.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

I thought the rouge rule would have been changed in the other direction, i.e. require contact with the ball on all kicking plays before awarding a point.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:45 pm
1. Holding in The Endzone:

The new option is a choice of taking a Safety.

The example is holding to protect your QB while the offending holder is in the end zone.
The argument in 3 Down is that now you may as well as take the penalty as there is little punishment.

Does this make more judgment calls for the officials - was the holder in the end zone or outside.
The eye in the sky will be able to quickly help with that.
Toppy Vann wrote:
2. No More than 6 players within two yards of the LOS on either side of the long snapper on FG and Convert kicks

Safety issue for the long snapper.

What about punts?
I don't think this one is about the safety of the longsnapper. I believe they've all but eliminated the idea of running over the LS with other recent changes. This might be about the safety of the rest of the line trying to block for the kicker. Teams attempting to block the kick will no longer be able to load up on one side.
Toppy Vann wrote:
3. Avoidable Contact with an Official - command centre to decide.
Rule designed to keep sidelines clear of coaches, players etc.
The Duke Williams rule?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.