Lions draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV:54-40
Starter

Wondering who/ what positions they look at - especially with the top 2 picks (#s 9 & 14)

More Oline or receiver depth/competition? A good receiver should still be there at #9 (Murphy (Concordia) is a real good prospect IMO)

I really hope they consider one of the many very decent looking safety prospects this draft with one of those picks (has to be several still on the board by #14); a guy who could prove a very good back-up right away (thinking Mauger is pencilled -in the starter again?), or maybe surprise - with solid experience as a safety in Canadian ball - and take the starter job with a strong TC.
Qman
Champion

OV:54-40 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:50 pm
Wondering who/ what positions they look at - especially with the top 2 picks (#s 9 & 14)

More Oline or receiver depth/competition? A good receiver should still be there at #9 (Murphy (Concordia) is a real good prospect IMO)

I really hope they consider one of the many very decent looking safety prospects this draft with one of those picks (has to be several still on the board by #14); a guy who could prove a very good back-up right away (thinking Mauger is pencilled -in the starter again?), or maybe surprise - with solid experience as a safety in Canadian ball - and take the starter job with a strong TC.
Doubt we see any cdns in secondary in near future under campbell. Pretty committed to two will/mlb and 1 per dline rotation. Depth there will be focus.

Receiver to push starters also key. Of course the philpots become free agents next year. So I could see one of them coming home.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Is there a good running back or fullback prospect that would warrant picks 9 or 14? The Lions are lacking in Canadian depth there. Otherwise, receiver and DB should be the priorities.
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 6:28 pm
Is there a good running back or fullback prospect that would warrant picks 9 or 14? The Lions are lacking in Canadian depth there. Otherwise, receiver and DB should be the priorities.
I believe several of the top U Sports accomplished tailback prospects this draft are going to be written-off (not drafted at all or late round picks maybe - so one of them should be available late rounds) due to slow 40 times at CFL Combine (Sean Thomas Erlington ran a 4.84 at his CFL Combine though and has proved to be a very solid CFL RB IMO; and some guy named Fantuz ran a 5 second forty at his CFL Combine). Laval H-back David Dallaire was really solid contributor in their Vanier winning offence at that position and might go first couple of rounds - don't know that he could surpass Mackie though)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Mon May 01, 2023 6:42 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
I believe several of the top U Sports accomplished tailback prospects this draft are going to be written-off (not drafted at all or late round picks maybe - so one of them should be available late rounds) due to slow 40 times at CFL Combine (Sean Thomas Erlington ran a 4.84 at his CFL Combine though and has proved to be a very solid CFL RB IMO; and some guy named Fantuz ran a 5 second forty at his CFL Combine). Laval H-back David Dallaire was really solid contributor in their Vanier winning offence at that position and might go first couple of rounds - don't know that he could surpass Mackie though)
I am more concerned about a lack of a proven starting RB for the Lions after losing James Butler to free agency. In his second season he had a 1000 yard season and pretty good pass receiving numbers, so I don't know why Lions let him go since they don't have an obvious replacement.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:57 pm
Receiver to push starters also key. Of course the philpots become free agents next year. So I could see one of them coming home.
Philpots have just finished the first year of their CBA mandated 3 year deals. They will not become free agents until February 11, 2025.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 3:18 am
I am more concerned about a lack of a proven starting RB for the Lions after losing James Butler to free agency. In his second season he had a 1000 yard season and pretty good pass receiving numbers, so I don't know why Lions let him go since they don't have an obvious replacement.
Money and priorities. That's what offseason decisions are based on. Teams simply cannot afford to keep everybody they'd like to keep in a cap world. Keeping Butler = not keeping likely multiple players or passing on a needed free agent. It's up to McEvoy and Campbell to make those difficult decisions of how best to manage the cap.

We know that Butler signed for $116K hard money + $10K bonus when he suits up for the first game. Unless he suffers a season ending injury in camp that adds up to $126K in hard money and 3D reports $133K max compensation so there are other bonuses available. It's also what he settled for in Hamilton, not necessarily what he was asking for to stay in BC. Regardless the CFL min $70K his replacement is likely to earn amounts to a $56K savings that could be put towards retaining key players or to use in free agency. Now ask yourself who of the extensions and FA signings BC did make would you rather they jettison? Cede to Rhymes trade request to make room? Don't re-sign Mackie? Lokombo? Pass on Couture? At least one if not two would have to be sacrificed. $56K doesn't seem like much but even split in half $28K is a huge difference maker between keeping a player and losing him to free agency.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
It doesn't appear this year's draft class has prospects worthy of such high selection. With picks 9 & 14 then not until 34 BC I don't see BC being interested in burning one of those first two picks on a RB or FB. The only NAT tailback or fullback to be ranked in the top 20 in any of the 3 lists going back to September was Chase Brown who went in the 5th round in the NFL Draft. He should be good to stay down there for at least a couple of years.

John Hodge's mock draft today after knowing what happened with the NFL draft and aftermath has 2 fullbacks and no tailbacks listed. He mocks Montreal taking Laval FB David Dallaire 13th and Ottawa taking McMaster FB Jacob Mason 25th. His first mock draft back in March had only Dallaire going in the same spot.

Marshall Ferguson's TSN mock draft from this past Sunday has Delaware State's Thomas Bertrand-Hudon as first back off the board at #25 to Ottawa. He has Dallaire at #29 to Hamilton, Carabin's Bertrand Beaulieu #32 to Montreal and Chase Brown as the final back taken going to Toronto at #47

With Mackie extended thru 2024 and potential in the depth added with Global FB/LS/H-Back John Levi-Kruse and NAT Dylan St.Pierre signed after attending their Las Vegas FA tryout camp FB is definitely not an early draft priority. BC has bigger needs for their two top picks than a RB or FB. If they draft one it will be with one of their picks 34 and later.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC selected Jamaican receiver Jevoni Robinson (6'8 225) who played hoops at NCAA Div II Barry University 7th overall in the 2 round Global Draft this morning and French DL Junior Aho (6'4 272) out of Southern Methodist U at 16th overall.

https://www.bclions.com/2023/05/02/lion ... bal-draft/
Qman
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 3:18 am
Mon May 01, 2023 6:42 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
You’re not going to fine that in cdn draft. Thats a position you need to find an elite guy from power 5 school. Good news is lots of those around
Starter

What ??? Ever heard of Andrew Harris ?, or Jon Cornish, or Jerome Messam ? Or Jeshrun Antwi from last season (top 5 in the league in rushing and produced the longest and 3rd longest run from scrimmage by all RBs)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

We're up!

I think it will be either Bemiy or Bagayogo. Honourable mention to Grohovac.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Bemiy it is. This could open things up to a DT rotation of Cherry and Bemiy similar to the DE rotation of Betts and Menard to give potential to 2 NAT starters on the DL.
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:14 pm
Bemiy it is. This could open things up to a DT rotation of Cherry and Bemiy similar to the DE rotation of Betts and Menard to give potential to 2 NAT starters on the DL.

Beimy weighes in at under 260 and has no DT experience that I've heard mentioned ? Guess he could bulk up: Menard put up 29 bench reps at his CFL Combine i think it was to show the bull strength to play inside as an under-size guy.

Talk about typical CFL thinking over-kill at one spot: Menard & Betts, with the 2 DEs and a DT they picked last draft? Not surprising to me though.

Edit: and now the RedBlacks show the exact same over-kill thinking at a Canadian position by taking safety Lucas Cormier (guy i wished the Lions had taken - believe he will be a CFL star safety down the road maybe); BUT - Ottawa already had at safety: Addae, former top pick who started some last season; former Als starter Cranston; vet Howell who has started there, and last year's safety pick Dan Valente who was all-Canadian safety for Western; how many frickin' safety types do you need ???
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Tue May 02, 2023 6:19 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:14 pm

Beimy weighes in at under 260 and has no DT experience that I've heard mentioned ? Guess he could bulk up: Menard put up 29 bench reps at his CFL Combine i think it was to show the bull strength to play inside as an under-size guy.

Talk about typical CFL thinking over-kill at one spot: Menard & Betts, with the 2 DEs and a DT they picked last draft? Not surprising to me though.
What I read had him at 270. I see at the combine he was listed at 257. Maybe that sets up for a Betts/Bemiy and Cherry/Menard rotation. As for too many maybe if BC rotated only 6 DL but they prefer to rotate 8. Most important thing is he provides options for rotations. If I heard them correctly the way the panel talked about his body type they said big and solid in the legs and trunk compared to upper body and he gets down really low. It sounds like he should be able to bulk up and add more weight. Only takes a dozen pounds to be up in Cherry's weight class. One of them speculated he'd likely move inside but hey lots of times the DE lines up inside the DT.