Lions at Alouettes Sept. 9, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I didn't think O'Connor was that bad in the quarter and a bit he played in his first start.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As Rick Campbell alluded after the game, quarterbacks need practice reps with the first team offence. Nathan Rourke had a year and a half of reps with the first team before his injury due to Michael Reilly being limited by his elbow injury last year. Michael O’Connor had three days with the first team before his only start. Antonio Pipkin had five days.

Patience is required with any new starting QB. The Lions just need to minimize mistakes and not beat themselves as they did tonight with fumbles, turnovers on downs and special-teams miscues.
OV:54-40
Starter

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:55 pm
Walt67 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:40 pm
maxlion wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 pm
Hopefully Vernon Adams can show some of what made him a highly rated prospect and starting qb. It's obvious we will go nowhere with Pipkin and O'Connor.

It's hard to judge other elements of the team when the qb is incompetent. The run game is shut down because the qb can't make passes. Receivers look bad because balls are misplaced or thrown at wrong times. The oline gives up sacks because the qb doesnt get rid of the ball. The defense gets gassed and misses tackles. Special teams have bad field position all game.
You make some good points, but I think the sample size on O'Connor is far too small to say he will never be a contributing quarterback. He has not had much time on the field - even in the short spurt of Rourke glory days, O'Connor should have had more game time late in wins to both give him reps and protect the No. 1. Then in his first start he led a decent first drive and then was driven from the game after just a quarter with an injury. There must have been a reason he was No. 2 on the depth chart, so let's see what he can do when healthier.
Otherwise, yes, having someone like Rourke is like icing an elite goaltender in hockey - he can paper over a lot of team weaknesses. Even during all the wins it was obvious the running game wasn't nearly good enough for the late season and playoffs - and the kick return and kick coverage teams are screamingly third rate. Geez, remember the days when Lucky was a threat to score on every kick return? What happened to that kind of dynamic special teams play?
Instead, all those weaknesses are very exposed - and we no longer have a kick-butt passing game to make up for them.
Sigh.
Exactly! You can't write a QB off after one quarter. I've seen bad QBs be given start after start, yet people think O'Connor can't play based on one quarter.
That goes with O'Connor's passport, unfortunately, and the CFL; Canadian players judged way more harshly by mostly American coaches (and some fans); American players - especially QBs - given way more opportunity, with young mistakes forgiven, excused or over-looked. Look how quickly they turned to Pipkin, who has and will be given umpteen more CFL chances than O'Connor will ever get. Why was the supposed #2 QB all year even dressed if he is too "injured" to play?

Way she goes, as Ray said. :hypno:
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Walt67 wrote:
Otherwise, yes, having someone like Rourke is like icing an elite goaltender in hockey - he can paper over a lot of team weaknesses.
signed, Carey Price
Walt67
Starter

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:35 am
Walt67 wrote:
Otherwise, yes, having someone like Rourke is like icing an elite goaltender in hockey - he can paper over a lot of team weaknesses.
signed, Carey Price
well, at least he will help the Canadian ratio!
maxlion
Legend

O'Connor would probably be the first to admit that he was awful in his first CFL start. He will likely get other chances, maybe even this year depending on what happens with Adams. I agree that shouldn't be written off yet, but that is different from giving him the starting job now when he has shown no sign of being ready.

Pipkin is a different story as he has been in the league since 2017 and has had many chances to show that he can play. He has shown no signs of improvement over his career or any indication he can be an effective starting qb. I think he's done.

For better or worse, this is Adam's team now.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JC Abbott weighs in with his thoughts on the game:
https://3downnation.com/2022/09/10/lion ... -montreal/
mightybuck
Legend

Rough loss to the Alouettes
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Postgame thoughts and reaction from J.J. Adams:
https://theprovince.com/sports/the-chec ... apple-cart
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hard to argue with what JJ Abott laid out indepth in the 3 Down article nor what JJ Adams is saying.

Rick Campbell with no plan for the QBs was at least honest.

The OC and the Lions lack of an innovative run game will make these next few days pretty tough to get points out of.

Judging from how the QBs looked in practice Wednesday I wasn't surprised by the results but I'd agree that Vernon Adams needed more time rather than end on that fumble by Hatcher.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:25 pm
JC Abbott weighs in with his thoughts on the game:
https://3downnation.com/2022/09/10/lion ... -montreal/
Safe to say JC and Farhan have absolutely no faith in Pimpkin moving forward regardless of how many reps he gets in practice. He is what he is and that was evident in some of those critical plays JC pointed out (safety and Hatcher at the goalline).
Unfortunately the Burnham fumble was huge as BC was driving on the Als 30 and down by just 11 with plenty of time left. We hoped Pimpkin could replicate that drive on the next possession and we get a pick 6 instead on just a horrible 7-yard pass.
Of course Campbell is going to come to defence of his players but the situation was about as good as you could get after losing your star QB then O’Connor gets dinged.
A bye week followed by what appeared to be a desirable "bounce back" opponent and they lose by 21.
Just a horrible first half and too big of hole to dig out of. Their other glaring weaknesses continue to be exposed.
They have to roll with Adams moving forward. Hardly expecting wins the next 2 weeks against the Stamps but hopefully at least a competitive game by the time they get to BC Place. Best case scenario is 3-4 or 2-5 finish and going to McMahon in the Western semi
David
Team Captain

Having just come back from Montreal, it was as bad in person as I am sure it was on TV. Team just did not look focused or ready to play (more on this in the Scout Team Room). Special teams continue to be a tire fire, the blessing has been the reliability of Sean Whyte. Last year's FG kicking with this year's teams play would easily put it in contention as worst in club history. Terry Williams looked capable but was quickly swarmed on every return (6.0 and 22.2 yards on punt and kick returns respectively). Chandler Worthy looked much more dangerous, mostly because of the gaps he was afforded (Dan Yanowsky has now had 3 bye weeks to fix this mess. How he keeps his job is beyond me).

I don't think we're stout enough against the run. Teams are getting to the second level far too easily (as Williams' 11 tackles point to). Our own running attack needs to be examined. 2nd and long is fine for Nathan but our QBs are going to struggle on consistent 2nd and 7 or 8 when we run on 1st down. Unlikely club will sit Butler but I'm intrigued to see what, if anything, ex-NFLer Brian Hill can do. Not that Butler is necessarily the problem, but perhaps a bigger framed (6'1" / 219lb) back will have more success in our run-blocking scheme.

Overall experience at Percilval Molson stadium is positive. Crowd announced at 15,511 but felt fuller due to the smaller capacity and configuration. Lots of great music pumped through the onfield speakers throughout the game and good use of two small electronic scoreboards (not just continually showing faces in the crowd as a BC Place). My first takeaway: the crowd is LOUD. They go there to cheer, not sit on their hands. A quirk. Probably the one stadium in the league with the fewest number of people repping team swag (hats, jerseys etc).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:50 pm
Having just come back from Montreal, it was as bad in person as I am sure it was on TV. Team just did not look focused or ready to play (more on this in the Scout Team Room). Special teams continue to be a tire fire, the blessing has been the reliability of Sean Whyte. Last year's FG kicking with this year's teams play would easily put it in contention as worst in club history. Terry Williams looked capable but was quickly swarmed on every return (6.0 and 22.2 yards on punt and kick returns respectively). Chandler Worthy looked much more dangerous, mostly because of the gaps he was afforded (Dan Yanowsky has now had 3 bye weeks to fix this mess. How he keeps his job is beyond me).

I don't think we're stout enough against the run. Teams are getting to the second level far too easily (as Williams' 11 tackles point to). Our own running attack needs to be examined. 2nd and long is fine for Nathan but our QBs are going to struggle on consistent 2nd and 7 or 8 when we run on 1st down. Unlikely club will sit Butler but I'm intrigued to see what, if anything, ex-NFLer Brian Hill can do. Not that Butler is necessarily the problem, but perhaps a bigger framed (6'1" / 219lb) back will have more success in our run-blocking scheme.

Overall experience at Percilval Molson stadium is positive. Crowd announced at 15,511 but felt fuller due to the smaller capacity and configuration. Lots of great music pumped through the onfield speakers throughout the game and good use of two small electronic scoreboards (not just continually showing faces in the crowd as a BC Place). My first takeaway: the crowd is LOUD. They go there to cheer, not sit on their hands. A quirk. Probably the one stadium in the league with the fewest number of people repping team swag (hats, jerseys etc).

Sorry the game was a stinker, David. Other than that, how was Montreal?
David
Team Captain

Thanks B.C.FAN. As a side note, for those that have never been, Montreal is a 'must see' city. It has history, charm, character, style, and a seemingly easy-going lifestyle (joie de vivre). I found the people very friendly there (more than one person walked up to me with my Lions long sleeve shirt on). Their museum of fine art is incredible, and the Notre Dame cathedral is a crown jewel, even if one is non-religious.

I realize there is a roughly 200-year gap between Vancouver and Montreal, but they've managed to preserve and honour their history. It has statues, fountains, and monuments galore. And we get...the creepy 14 bronze 'laughing' statues at English Bay and a downtown chock full of mostly uninspiring glass condos and drab office towers. :roll:

Roar, You Lions, Roar