Lions v Bombers July 9

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

Looks like tickets are moving for this one. Only few thousand below tunnels left,.
Started posting some seats above the tunnels and they moved fast.
4pm start might be helping.

Maybe they might look at moving start times to Saturday 6pm next year (from 7) if they intend to go after family market agressively like this year. Of course, TSN would have to move the usual early Saturday game to 3pm.
mightybuck
Legend

W vs BC - should be good game

Mod note - merging this with the existing Lions-Bombers thread. Thanks.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The game will be a big test for the Lions O and D lines as they will be up against the best O and D lines and LBs in the CFL. The Lions need to have a game plan that puts a blocker on Bighill on every play.

OTOH Bombers don't have the weapons on O of the past and Lions have arguably the best DBs in the CFL, who get to practice against the best group of receivers in the CFL.
David
Team Captain

Here's the way I view it. Week One was a referendum on the Lions/CFL in this market and the people have spoken. The club does matter. Week Three vs the Argos (with no bells and whistles) shows how much work is left to turn things around. Like a freighter in English Bay. Slow and steady.

I see the Winnipeg game this way:

under 18,000 - disappointing and indicative of the work still needed in this market to move the needle.
18,000 - 20,000 - mildly disappointing but understandable given the low season ticket base. "Baby steps" as I characterized it in another thread.
20,000 - 22,000 - encouraging for early July given that this market tends to turn its attention to football in the Fall.
22,000 plus - I'd be happy with anything in this area. A sign that Rourke and the Lions are starting to capture the attention of the market.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

Whitehead didn’t practice on Tuesday
Other than guys out long term we are healthy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Whitehead didn't practise again Wednesday with his ankle injury. I hope they're just being cautious. I'm sure he's anxious to play against his old team.

https://www.bclions.com/injuryreport/
David
Team Captain

Matt Baker reporting that Lucky is expected to be (limited) at practice Thursday and the plan is for him to suit up Saturday.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

More good marketing decisions by the Lions to build up the hype:
Members of the BC Lions plus our 2022 Uproar Dance Team will be on hand at the Vancouver Art Gallery on Friday, July 8 from 10:30 am-2:30 pm.

The Pop-Up event will give fans of all ages the chance to get player autographs, see the Uproar perform a few routines, test their quarterback skills at our throwing inflatable and enjoy some great music and food as we get amped up for our big game against the Blue Bombers on Saturday afternoon at BC Place presented by Pepsi.

In attendance: James Butler, Peter Godber, Isaiah Guzylak-Messam, Andrew Peirson, Dominique Rhymes, Jacob Scarfone and members of the Uproar Dance Team
almo89
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:07 am
More good marketing decisions by the Lions to build up the hype:
Members of the BC Lions plus our 2022 Uproar Dance Team will be on hand at the Vancouver Art Gallery on Friday, July 8 from 10:30 am-2:30 pm.

The Pop-Up event will give fans of all ages the chance to get player autographs, see the Uproar perform a few routines, test their quarterback skills at our throwing inflatable and enjoy some great music and food as we get amped up for our big game against the Blue Bombers on Saturday afternoon at BC Place presented by Pepsi.

In attendance: James Butler, Peter Godber, Isaiah Guzylak-Messam, Andrew Peirson, Dominique Rhymes, Jacob Scarfone and members of the Uproar Dance Team
These small little things can potentially pay huge dividends down the road.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to the injury report, Sean Whyte didn't practise Thursday but the reason was listed as non-football related.

Lucky Whitehead was limited, as had been predicted.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:55 pm
18,000 - 20,000 - mildly disappointing but understandable given the low season ticket base. "Baby steps" as I characterized it.

I’m hoping it’s this David but based on seats remaining hardly a certainty. Whitecaps playing their best soccer of the season and 14,000 last night. In 2019 all 4 Blue Jays games in Seattle soldout (44,000). 24,000 Thursday, 32,000 last night, likely a sellout tonight and back down to 30,000 plus Sunday.
In these days of crazy inflation and even the lingering pandemic regular season sports is the easy thing to save money on with the home TV and food experience. Lions just need to keep playing well and keep the buzz going as season moves on.
My concern now is the disparity in the league at least record wise. With such a low season ticket base it puts the Lions in a tough spot when Hamilton (Thursday night) and Edmonton roll through here next.
Really just 3 attractive games after tonight: Riders, Stamps and Bombers return
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are no changes in the Lions’ starting lineup This week. Lucky Whitehead is in his usual WR position despite being slowed by an ankle injury in practice.

Depth chart and roster
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:40 am
David wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:55 pm
18,000 - 20,000 - mildly disappointing but understandable given the low season ticket base. "Baby steps" as I characterized it.

I’m hoping it’s this David but based on seats remaining hardly a certainty. Whitecaps playing their best soccer of the season and 14,000 last night. In 2019 all 4 Blue Jays games in Seattle soldout (44,000). 24,000 Thursday, 32,000 last night, likely a sellout tonight and back down to 30,000 plus Sunday.
In these days of crazy inflation and even the lingering pandemic regular season sports is the easy thing to save money on with the home TV and food experience. Lions just need to keep playing well and keep the buzz going as season moves on.
My concern now is the disparity in the league at least record wise. With such a low season ticket base it puts the Lions in a tough spot when Hamilton (Thursday night) and Edmonton roll through here next.
Really just 3 attractive games after tonight: Riders, Stamps and Bombers return
It will be over 22k. selling well over the tunnels now. Tunnels below is 22k.
Family section will be sold out in a few hours
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:33 pm
According to the injury report, Sean Whyte didn't practise Thursday but the reason was listed as non-football related.
In other words he was pulling a shift at the White Rock Fire Hall. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So is this going to be THE GDT.?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.