Lions v Bombers July 9

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

I more annoyed that BC will have 2 bye weeks after just 4 games. Who the hell was in charge of scheduling?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

almo89 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:16 pm
I more annoyed that BC will have 2 bye weeks after just 4 games. Who the hell was in charge of scheduling?
Argos had their 2nd this week after only 3 games.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The 2 bye weeks early in the season could be a result of a team like the Lions submitting to the CFL that since they draw bigger crowds in the fall, the team actually wants to be able to play more games after Labour Day than before LD, thus contributing to the unbalanced or uneven application of bye weeks....just a guess on my part with no real evidence.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:47 pm
The 2 bye weeks early in the season could be a result of a team like the Lions submitting to the CFL that since they draw bigger crowds in the fall, the team actually wants to be able to play more games after Labour Day than before LD, thus contributing to the unbalanced or uneven application of bye weeks....just a guess on my part with no real evidence.
Lions only have 3 home games after Labour Day this year. Have to go back a long.ways to find the last time they had fewer than 4. I've gone back to 2010 and it's mostly been 5 with 3 or 4 years with 4.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lui05 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:33 am

Aside: How many bye weeks does each team have? And I bet CFL really hopes the Schooners materialize some year - it's always better to plan byes into the schedule instead of being dictated to by math. :)
I believe it's 3 byes
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:31 pm
Lui05 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:33 am

Aside: How many bye weeks does each team have? And I bet CFL really hopes the Schooners materialize some year - it's always better to plan byes into the schedule instead of being dictated to by math. :)
I believe it's 3 byes
3 is correct.
OV:54-40
Starter

Tough loss - should be a learning lesson.

Lions got out-coached / play-called on both sides of the ball, big-time.

D is maybe not as good as assumed from the 1st three games - need better pass rush (they use plenty of rotation which is a good thing, but IMO Menard should be getting the most reps of any of them - veteran, good pass rusher with a non-stop motor and can play DE and inside to help run-stop); a couple of weak links in the secondary perhaps.

Lessons for Rourke but he still threw 3 nice TD strikes; new receiver Pearson hauled in a long-bomb nicely, but continues to drop passes; not enough ground game, and, once again - I guess nobody to do with coaching the offence noticed Mackie going off for over 100 yards from scrimmage 2 games back ???

And BTW - a good kicker knows how to deliver a squib kick to good affect - not just popping the ball up in the air to be fielded at the 40; ball can be drilled hard along the ground to bounce all over the place and end up well down field.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Pearson drops passes? I'll give you his first one on the first play from scrimmage in Ottawa. That was a bona-fide drop. Last night stats show 1 catch on 3 targets he had another catch that was overturned because Rhymes jumped offside. I recall one "drop" as it was right in front of me. It was more a failure to make an incredible catch, than a drop. I'm not sure what the other failed target was because the game log doesn't indicate it.

As for Flintoft and the kicks he's a punter by trade and just following orders. They obviously practice onside kicks a lot but not sure they get asked to practice pooch kickoffs or squib kick very damned often.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeppo
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:16 pm
Pearson drops passes? I'll give you his first one on the first play from scrimmage in Ottawa. That was a bona-fide drop. Last night stats show 1 catch on 3 targets he had another catch that was overturned because Rhymes jumped offside. I recall one "drop" as it was right in front of me. It was more a failure to make an incredible catch, than a drop. I'm not sure what the other failed target was because the game log doesn't indicate it.
IIRC, he dropped a pass while running a slant route in the first half. The ball was a bit in front of him, but a pro receiver has to
make that type of catch. The second drop was late in the game. The ball hit him right in the hands, popped up in the air,
and ended up being intercepted.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

zeppo wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:39 pm

IIRC, he dropped a pass while running a slant route in the first half. The ball was a bit in front of him, but a pro receiver has to
make that type of catch. The second drop was late in the game. The ball hit him right in the hands, popped up in the air,
That slant one was the one I recalled. Yes it was a slant but it wasn't like it hit him in the hands chest high in stride. He's 6'4 and had to drop to his knees and reach out in front to get his hands on it. I've seen Simon and Burnham drop far more catchable balls more than once. The latter must have been the pick O'Connor was charged with.

Anyways from what I saw if Pearson in camp and that electrifying TD I'm willing to have some patience in seeing if he can grow and develop into a reliable receiver.
OV:54-40
Starter

zeppo wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:39 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:16 pm
Add in the blatant drop in the Ottawa game, and it's not a good ratio so far; but still a small sample size.

And if Flntoft is incapable of a decent squib kick then why bother with a little pop-up that gets returned near mid-field anyways ? = dumb coaching move.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:25 pm
Add in the blatant drop in the Ottawa game, and it's not a good ratio so far; but still a small sample size.

And if Flntoft is incapable of a decent squib kick then why bother with a little pop-up that gets returned near mid-field anyways ? = dumb coaching move.
Agreed on the blatant drop in Ottawa but I'm willing to accept there were no doubt some serious nerves involved with a rookie running his first ever CFL pass route.

On the kicks agreement again on dumb coaching move. I think it was dumb regardless of whether he executed it well or not. The pooch still went 39 yards and the squib 44 so not awful by any means. The new kickoff point from the 30 probably made them look worse than they were. Kick the ball deep and make them earn the yards.

It made me recall the year Wally got all scared of some opponent's return game (or maybe it was BC's coverage) and had his kicker (O'Mahoney I'm thinking) doing everything but kick the ball deep. They didn't give up the big return but were easily conceding 15 easy yards in field position on every exchange of kicks.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:53 pm

It made me recall the year Wally got all scared of some opponent's return game (or maybe it was BC's coverage) and had his kicker (O'Mahoney I'm thinking) doing everything but kick the ball deep. They didn't give up the big return but were easily conceding 15 easy yards in field position on every exchange of kicks.
That was the 2004 Grey Cup and thanks for that trip down memory lane. *ahem*
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Painfully watching Saturday’s game again.

I can live with our kick coverage has been poor much of the season. Even the ill timed turnovers such as the Jeffcoat INT. It was the piss poor defensive play and scheme that was the real gut punch.
Thanks for the "vanilla" comment Sayles only to get lit up.

On Bombers first possession we have them 2nd and 12 on our 30. We rush 4 and drop into zone coverage. Collaros not only has plenty of time he hits a wide open Ellingson 14 yards down field with 3 Lions defenders close but all behind him including Jordan Williams. Why such deep drops behind the 1st down marker. Inexcusable.

These are passes Fajardo and Mitchell will easily complete too against that scheme. Hopefully lesson learned Mr Phillips. The jury is out until we can prove we can at least beat the other big 2 in the West.
David
Team Captain

As others have mentioned, this was a humbling experience for our D and D-coordinator. I haven't watched the game on PVR but I thought the offense acquitted itself fairly well, if you take away the ill-timed turnovers. Our running attack was fairly impotent but I thought the offensive line was decent in pass pro against the best front 4 in the league.

Perhaps not the worst thing to happen to our D? They should come out hungrier next time. I'm all for team unity but dancing celebrations with the D-coordinator were getting a bit much. As SammyGreene points out, we haven't done anything yet against the Bombers, Stamps, and Riders. Beat them and we have cause to celebrate.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar