Lions vs. Argos June 25, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions are mainly healthy coming off the bye week. Delvin Breaux makes his long-awaited regular-season debut at field corner after missing the first game with an elbow injury. Tyneil Cooper moves to the 1-game injured list. Rookie backup DT Nathan Cherry, who looked good in the opener, also moves to the 1-game list with a knee injury. LB Josh Woods, a key member of all special teams units, is activated in place of the released Micah Awe. There are no roster changes on the offence which put up 59 points against Edmonton other than the addition of Elks castoff Shai Ross as a backup WR.

:Lions roster and depth chart
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anyone know how ticket sales are for this game ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:51 pm
Out of curiosity I looked at Tickmaster yesterday (or was it on Wed?). It doesn't look like the upper bowl will be open.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Things will go one of two ways. The Leos will build on the momentum from the Week One blowout of the Elks, feeling good about themselves and each other, and pounce on the Argos. Or they will have gotten a little comfy during the bye week, thinking every game will be a cake-walk and come out flat, with the stands more like 2021 levels than last game.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Not sure, but I haven't seen as much hype or exposure for this game as I expected. It's been a little quiet, even on social media IMO. I'd be hyping the heck out of "open roof" and reminding fans of the great vibe two weeks ago (showing images of Terry Fox plaza/Robson Street last game).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:07 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Not sure, but I haven't seen as much hype or exposure for this game as I expected. It's been a little quiet, even on social media IMO. I'd be hyping the heck out of "open roof" and reminding fans of the great vibe two weeks ago (showing images of Terry Fox plaza/Robson Street last game).

Everything about the first game was about creating a big splash. Mission accomplished. Things could not have been scripted better and the script was executed better than anybody including Doman could have hoped.

Moving forward though such grandiose is not financially or realistically sustainable. In retail parlances it would be termed a loss leader. Something to get people in the door. Now the hard work starts where the product has to do the sales job.

Nobody should think 34K would only drop to 30K this weekend. That it might become only 23K-25K is more realistic. Nobody should be discouraged by that because that's still a huge improvement over the most optimistic hopes of 2018 or 2019. IMO that would be a more positive sign things might turn around than the 34K at the season opener. It might also be a sign the Lions can capture back some of the Whitecaps market. The Caps have seen several crowds in the 17K range this season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

I was at caps game on Wednesday. Maybe 1000.

Ticketmaster looks like 15ish. Tonite. Same for caps tomorrow.

Both the lions and caps season ticket bases are too small to expect more than that right now. It’s the pandemic, plus live market audience is changing.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:19 pm

Both the lions and caps season ticket bases are too small to expect more than that right now. It’s the pandemic, plus live market audience is changing.
Add ridiculous inflation right now too. What household spending is falling victim to increasing food, fuel and housing costs?

I was hoping there would be more tonight but Doman basically delivered a Grey Cup type experience for the season opener for a fraction of the ticket cost. And as you stated every game is an uphill battle with a very low season ticket base.
They just have to keep on winning and playing entertaining football. Doman wanted as many eyeballs as possible on the season opener, with plenty of giveaways too, and I think the club delivered on and off the field. It was a great start but there is plenty of work to be done.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Qman wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:19 pm

^^^That must be a typo. It has got to be 10,000 at the Caps game because it really is 1,000 in attendance, then they'd be better off at the start of the game introducing the fans instead of the players. :towel:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Montreal did us a favour on Thursday, now BC needs to pay them back by beating the Argos. This should be a much better litmus test for Rourke and the entire team than the blowout of a very bad Edmonton team two weeks ago.

I'm not expecting a big crowd tonight, but a win tonight plus a road win against Ottawa next week would set the table for a massive early season showdown between the undefeated Lions and the Bombers in two weeks. I don't think the potential to pull a huge crowd for that game will be lost on our new owner.

But first things first. Take care of business tonight. Go Lions!
Alputt
Champion

Regarding low attendance many of my friends are out of town camping etc.

I have tickets but will be watching from home because I have COVID.

It was a great opener but summer games are always a tougher sell in Vancouver.

I wish they would push the season back to where it used to be. After the Stanley Cup with the GC last week of November. Extra game in BC after Labour Day...
Alputt
Champion

Beautiful night for football though! If you can go... Enjoy!
Ravi
Legend

Alputt wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:15 pm

I wish they would push the season back to where it used to be. After the Stanley Cup with the GC last week of November. Extra game in BC after Labour Day...
To be fair, the Stanley Cup finals now routinely go to late June instead of late May, as was once the case. It's becoming increasingly difficult to avoid hockey in this country.
Alputt
Champion

Ravi wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:21 pm
Alputt wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:15 pm

To be fair, the Stanley Cup finals now routinely go to late June instead of late May, as was once the case. It's becoming increasingly difficult to avoid hockey in this country.
True. Anyways I'm not too worried about it. Looking forward to a good game and getting back to BC Place for the next one.
Alputt
Champion

Gets in trouble and runs it for the first down! Looking good first drive...