2022 CFL Week 20

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:15 pm
Why did Edmonton change back to Elks from Eskimos?
Political correctness. Same as Washington Redskins changing their name to the Commanders
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

mightybuck wrote:
Research indicated that Inuit leaders wanted the name change (the rank and file didn't really care) as "Eskimo" is considered a derogatory slang word much like "Indian". Ironically the term was originally used by Natives (Indians) to describe northern non Indian, Inuit natives (Eskimos) and in many native languages in Canada the word Eskimo translates into "eaters of raw meat".
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:32 am
mightybuck wrote:
Research indicated that Inuit leaders wanted the name change (the rank and file didn't really care) as "Eskimo" is considered a derogatory slang word much like "Indian". Ironically the term was originally used by Natives (Indians) to describe northern non Indian, Inuit natives (Eskimos) and in many native languages in Canada the word Eskimo translates into "eaters of raw meat".
Different "natives" but same thinking that ethnicities/nationalities have had throughout history. Indigenous North American societies are as varied as European, Asian, African etc.

I once worked with someone who was constantly saying derogatory things about "Asians". His parents were from Vietnam. He was talking about South Asians.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Was listening to Saskatchewan radio of today’s game while doing some yard work. Holy homer, Batman… their pxp guy must be on the Rider payroll. I know there is pressure on CFL radio announcers to be cheerleaders, but Michael Ball makes Rod Pederson sound like an impartial observer.

At least I can watch the game on TSN now… oh, wait, Glenn Suitor.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Argos attempted a 61 yard field goal with a minute left at the half instead of punting. Attempt by Boris Bede went wide and was returned 113 yards by the Riders for a touchdown. Dumb coaching decision by Dinwiddie.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Ryan Dinwiddie with the worst decision I have ever seen a coach make at the pro level.
3rd and 4 from midfield. Go for it or punt. But oh no it’s the 61 yard chip shot FG attempt instead and shockingly returned for a TD. I’m simply stunned
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dinwiddie may be the next head coach to be fired.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

And the Argos need a new centre.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Argos should be up by at least two touchdowns but keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Until now, I'd almost forgotten Banks is playing for Toronto tonight.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Riders picked up the gun to finish off by shooting themselves.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Despite turning over the football 5 times and questionable coaching the Argos persevered with a 31-21 win. What's with Andrew Harris losing his helmet on practically every running play late in the game ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:58 pm
Carter was returning kicks as well as playing DB. He got an int so I guess there is no denying he made an impact.
He also made a good impression of a bullfighter waving his red cape on Schoen's long TD reception.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:25 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:53 am
The Toronto at Saskatchewan game has been rescheduled to Sunday due to a COVID outbreak on the Riders.

https://www.tsn.ca/1.1827842
I can't see how moving the game by 1 day will have any positive (no pun intended) effect on the Rider's chances. As of today they had 6 players officially out because of illness and another 5 listed as questionable because of illness. Even if that extra day means those 5 will test negative by game time it doesn't mean they will be healthy enough to play. Certainly not at full speed. I tested positive on July 3 and I only started feeling close to normal in the last few days. Granted I am not an elite athlete, but it's all relative.

Should be an easy 2 points for the Argos :cr:
I think it all depends on the individual even with the latest variant. Some are over it within a couple of days with minimal symptoms while it can knock the crap out others like a real bad cold for 4 or 5 days. Moving it out an extra day served a couple of purposes but the main thing was to buy them extra time to hopefully get in at least one practice before the game and to simply reduce the chances of having to postpoine it. It gave all affected an extra day to hopefully get cleared to practice and/or play. At the time the schedule time was announced they had already lost Tuesday and Wednesday's practice sessions and wouldn't know until the next morning if they'd be able to practice on Thursday and subsequently Friday. As it turned out they were able to practice on Thursday. From the group unable to practice on Thursday due to Covid protocols they at least got Milligan and Sankey back for Friday's practice and the game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:31 pm
Ryan Dinwiddie with the worst decision I have ever seen a coach make at the pro level.
3rd and 4 from midfield. Go for it or punt. But oh no it’s the 61 yard chip shot FG attempt instead and shockingly returned for a TD. I’m simply stunned
Yeah if they were gonna do something, heave the ball all the way down the field, hope for a pi call or maybe a lucky catch or even a pick. If you can, hang in the pocket for a few extra ticks before throwing it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.