2022 rule changes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL Board of Governors has approved a series of rule changes mainly designed to boost offences. Key changes include narrowing the hashmarks to make it easier to attack either side of the field and moving kickoffs back by 5 yards to give offences better starting field position. All no-yards penalties will also be 15 yards.

One approved change that could impact the Lions is to allow 2 quarterbacks to be on the field at the same time. Imagine the possibilities of having Rourke and O'Connor or potential draft pick Tre Ford in the backfield to keep defences off balance.

There are several other changes designed to improve game flow and cut down on dirty play. Overall, I like the changes.

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/04/27/rule-chan ... -cfl-game/
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Thanks for drawing attention to some of the important changes/details in this, B.C.FAN.

At first blush, after reading the full document, I'd say the narrowed hashmarks is the biggest change. I look forward to seeing the ripple effect of this throughout the upcoming season. The wide-side receivers throughout the league will be happy. And rightly so! It will be interesting to see how this pans out. On paper, I like it too. Time will tell. But, like many, I always thought wide-side guys (such as the departed Shaq Johnson for example) were time and again getting the short end of the stick so far as opportunities went, simply due to this longstanding factor.

I generally like the changes, and one other change that caught my attention and which seems quite reasonable and welcome is the embedded "communications coordinator" on both sidelines to help facilitate things between the game officials and the coaches. Less trotting over to the sidelines for discussions/explanations.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think improvements to the game will be provided in a "sum of all the parts" manner with these adjustments. None of the changes individually will be like the magic silver bullet that makes a huge difference. Collectively though they may combine to produce a more appealing entertainment package that generates more scoring and fewer delays that also helps games wrap up earlier.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:02 pm
I generally like the changes, and one other change that caught my attention and which seems quite reasonable and welcome is the embedded "communications coordinator" on both sidelines to help facilitate things between the game officials and the coaches. Less trotting over to the sidelines for discussions/explanations.
In addition to that expanding the Command Centre "eye in the sky" role to quickly radio the on field officials and communications coordinators to advise of obvious things from their vantage point related to possession, boundary, no end or ineligible receivers downfield also should reduce those discussions/explanations.
Lionize
prospect

Not sure I like the 15 yard penalty on all no yards calls. How often do we see the ball take a backwards bounce trapping the kicking teams players within the 5 yard limit. Savvy return guys are going to play that one up big time.
almo89
Legend

I'm really interested to see how the hashmarks will affect everything. I always thought the wide side of the field was wasted. Teams always put their least skilled receiver on that side and it's barely covered. Hopefully we'll see some more dynamic offenses.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Interesting tidbit I came across in an article on the USFL was about one of their rules which was a 35 second play clock versus the 40 second clock used by the NFL. They felt doing so would make for more plays in the game. That they accomplished but it also backfired in a way. Unfortunately thanks to more plays games have been blowing past the 3 hour mark, something networks absolutely do not want to happen. As is always the case even the best intentioned rule changes can have unintended consequences.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:42 am
Interesting tidbit I came across in an article on the USFL was about one of their rules which was a 35 second play clock versus the 40 second clock used by the NFL. They felt doing so would make for more plays in the game. That they accomplished but it also backfired in a way. Unfortunately thanks to more plays games have been blowing past the 3 hour mark, something networks absolutely do not want to happen. As is always the case even the best intentioned rule changes can have unintended consequences.
If you time Cfl games it 35-45 seconds between plays now. It’s all the substitutes between 1st and 2nd down. This is a major flow of play issue the #cfl has. It’s as bad as the nfl now, used to be on of the cfl attractive qualities.