2022 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:00 pm
Back in the 60s with smaller CFL rosters, the backup QB played another position as well. I seem to remember in Hamilton, Joe Zuger being an ok starting DB when Bernie Faloney was the starting QB. Maybe the Lions draft Ford as a 3rd backup QB and on the 46 man roster as a backup receiver?
Jerry Keeling was a starting DB who was also a backup QB for before becoming Calgary's starting QB in his 9th season after Peter Liske went to the NFL. Keeling won 5 West Div and 3 CFL All-Star Awards as a DB before he became the Stamp starting QB in 1969.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The current CFL rule book doesn't allow quarterbacks to play any other position except punter or kicker.
Rule 4 - Scrimmage
Article 5 — Designated Quarterback

Prior to the game, a team is required to designate two players who shall be permitted to alternate for each other during the game at the Quarterback position exclusively. Not more than one such player may be in the game at any time and neither of them can enter the game as a member of Team B.

PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option.

NOTE: For the purposes of this Article 5, the duties of the Quarterback position may include punting, place kicking and kicking off.

NOTE: A team is required to have one designated quarterback or kicker on the field for each of its offensive plays.
OV:54-40
Starter

But if the 2 designated QBs both get hurt in the game, somebody has to play; Ottawa ended up using receiver Nate Behar at QB last season; happened to the Als a few years back when the 1st two QBs got knocked out of the game, and then rookie Brandon Bridge played.

Might be a rare occasion but IMO it's dumb to have only 2 QBs dressed on large pro rosters now (and I don't care if some NFL teams do it now); THE key position in the game, and if 2 get hurt, and the team has to use a guy with no real QB skills (running a wildcat or whatever) - it looks very Mickey Mouse IMO.

IF Ford gets zero real NFL look, I hope he goes to a CFL team that has need for TC QB competition (most teams IMO), AND gets a real shot to compete at his position. Switched to a "project" at another position cause he is a good "athlete" might indicate same old CFL attitudes towards Canadian (trained) QBs; but sure, he could maybe be on the roster as an emergency safety or receiver - while he learns QB better in practice and QB meetings.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:24 pm
The current CFL rule book doesn't allow quarterbacks to play any other position except punter or kicker.
Rule 4 - Scrimmage
Article 5 — Designated Quarterback

Prior to the game, a team is required to designate two players who shall be permitted to alternate for each other during the game at the Quarterback position exclusively. Not more than one such player may be in the game at any time and neither of them can enter the game as a member of Team B.

PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option.

NOTE: For the purposes of this Article 5, the duties of the Quarterback position may include punting, place kicking and kicking off.

NOTE: A team is required to have one designated quarterback or kicker on the field for each of its offensive plays.
Saying Designated QBs cannot play other positions as per the rules isn't totally accurate. They are allowed to line up in other positions but there's can't be more than one of them on the field at the same time. In 2018 the Riders often used DB and former NCAA QB Nick Marshall for their short yardage situations. Their QB (usually Collaros) would line up as a receiver due to requirement to have a QB on the field. Obviously the above rule doesn't totally preclude a player other than a Designated QB coming in to play QB. I suspect in OV's example of Behar coming on for the final series of the game Ottawa had to declare him as the Designated QB in lieu off Davis and Nichols being unable to continue.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't think it would be too much of stretch for teams to work with a player as a last resort QB in case of multiple injuries to starters. There are a lot of Ex QB's floating around in the rosters of teams. Mostly receivers I suspect. So work one of them out in practise for a few scrimmages every practise. It may not be ideal but by the time you have been reduced to the 3rd QB, you are well beyond visual range of ideal at any rate. Having a 3rd QB on the roster doesn't seem necessary for those extremely rare occasions where you might run out of your 1 and 2 QB. If you had to I suppose, you could have a 3rd string QB listed as another positional player for the sake of roster. A backup receiver or some such. You might even be able to use him in that role if your receiving corp gets taxed during a game because of injuries.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Reg18
Starter

As nie as it would be to draft thehipots I think we need to address the O line issuesThe big center from Laval looks Ike a good place to start. Chrille Hogan saint looks good on film but there's at least one other Oineman inte draft. Maybe Campbell has another solution in mind
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hopefully their focus is on what position would they need to start another national if Rourke gets nicked. And that’s likely receiver unless they think they can sneak Hakeem Johnson into the secondary even though they are loaded even more with Americans there. Defensive line if they can sign 2021 1st round pick Daniel Joseph to join Menard and Betts?

For sure I’m hoping O’Connor shows he is the clear #2 and there is no need to tweak the ratio.
But I’m also not naive enough to think the Lions suddenly have 2 bonafide young up-and-coming QBs who happen to be nationals given the league’s history at the position starting Canadians.
Reg18
Starter

If I was making theselections I would take Laval center cyrille Hogan danfain with our first pick them I would choose an offensive tackle next then I would take a flyer and pick queens running back whose name escapes me. If he were to make the roster we could start an American O linemanthe name came back it's Rasheed tucker.hes fast and quick. Very explosive at picking his hole.hrs worth a ?ooksee
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has published the third and final ranking of its top 20 draft prospects. Alabama WR John Metchie III and Penn State linebacker Jesse Luketa are ranked first and second, but both may be snatched in the NFL draft before CFL teams make their selections. From a Lions' perspective with the third overall pick, Waterloo QB Tre Ford moves up to No. 4 in the rankings, followed by the Philpot twins Jalen (5) and Tyson (6).

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/04/19/metchie-l ... u-of-2022/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

With Metchie it won't be a case of if he gets taken in the NFL Draft but rather how early. General consensus amongst various draft ratings are he will go anywhere from late 2nd round to maybe early 4th. Most likely a 3rd round pick IMO. Luketa has been called the player without a position. In reality his size and athleticism will be too much for NFL clubs to overlook. I think he will get drafted with the thought he can play special teams while the team figures out where he is best suited. LIke CFL teams NFL clubs also covet flexibility.

What does this mean for the CFL Draft and in particular for the 1st round? It means remove them from the top 2 spots on the rankings and move everybody else up 2 spots.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:16 pm
Hopefully their focus is on what position would they need to start another national if Rourke gets nicked. And that’s likely receiver unless they think they can sneak Hakeem Johnson into the secondary even though they are loaded even more with Americans there. Defensive line if they can sign 2021 1st round pick Daniel Joseph to join Menard and Betts?

For sure I’m hoping O’Connor shows he is the clear #2 and there is no need to tweak the ratio.
But I’m also not naive enough to think the Lions suddenly have 2 bonafide young up-and-coming QBs who happen to be nationals given the league’s history at the position starting Canadians.
O'Connor is every bit as capable of starting in this league as Rourke. He probably should have started when BLM went down last year, but Dickenson went with a gut feeling and started Meier.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I think in Calgary there was more than a gut feeling involved. Dickenson doesn't come across as one to let his gut overrule his head when it comes to his QBs. They needed to give Maier more time than the slightly abbreviated training camp offered a raw rookie to learn systems etc. The extra 2 weeks of practice afforded Maier the opportunity to pass O'Connor on the depth chart.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Don't need to worry about scatback RB Adam Machart out of U of Sask. He retired today. He had been ranked #18 in Sept and #13 in January before falling out of the final rankings.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Metchie just went in the 2nd round 44th overall to Houston. In comparison Chase Claypool went 49th overall in 2020.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:11 pm
Metchie just went in the 2nd round 44th overall to Houston. In comparison Chase Claypool went 49th overall in 2020.
Metchie was the CFL's top-ranked prospect but I wouldn't expect to see him taken until late in the CFL draft, if at all.