New Uni's for 2023? (update)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Does anyone else think the shoulder stripes on the away uniforms look more blue and yellow (like the flag of Colorado)? I noticed that when I saw them in a Facebook post, but it looks the same here.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

No I don't see that on the shoulder stripes at all. But the colours of both will probably show up better once we see them with something else to compare with. And I think people saying they look like the Browns will see that in person or on the field they won't. I see what they're saying but the Browns were not dark black like this. In some of the photos and videos with all the orange lighting in the background, I think it doesn't represent the true colours as well. I look forward to seeing them in action.

They can't please everyone. I'm also in a camp of wanting orange cages and an orange jersey of some kind. (although not last years) Orange cages could have really looked cool to match the numbers on the home blacks, especially if they're going no helmet stripe.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:16 am
I knew it. New uniforms.

Black at home. Fog grey on road. I only wish there was a third orange jersey, but I like that road jersey actually.

https://store.bclions.com/

https://www.bclions.com/2023/04/12/blac ... ng-future/
Whelp, time for us to argue about jerseys again.

While I like the British Columbia on the front of the road jersey, the new font style is much worse than the old.

You call it Fog Gray, I call it Dirty Dishwater White.

David is right in that the current iteration of the home jersey looks like an alternate jersey the Cleveland Browns used from 2015-2021, with the only two differences being 1) the addition of the team logo mid stripes and 2) the jersey colors being black instead of brown. The home jerseys would have been improved considerably if the names and numbers would have had some sort of outline.

I'm a big fan of the monochrome look, but these are both big misses. The roads are the color of dirty water. The home design is lazy. These are a real disappointment.

Bring on the gunmetals to salvage this mess.
David
Team Captain

I have to reserve judgment until I see them on the field, in person for the first time.

I am not a fan of the monochrome look but if it has to be, then yes, black is the way to go. I am aligned with Cro though in adding an outline around the numbers.

What I would have preferred to see is a little more white added to the home (or "fog" even, if you want to tie it all together). White outline around the numbers, a white-orange-white stripe down the center of the helmets and white socks.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Best jersey ever in my opinion is the one worn by Joe Kapp and Willie Fleming... black and orange with a Lion paw on the helmets
Qman
Champion

They have to wear black pants on road vs CGY for sure, per league rules. Unless league rules fog grey is different from white. Funny it’s game 1

Otherwise it’s monochrome.
BC LIONS R#1
prospect

Trying to find out if the Lions will offer stitched jerseys. The Lions won't get back to me???
Does anyone know? I see on the Saskatchewan site that you can get stitched jerseys, and you can get shoulder patches.

Go Lions go.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC LIONS R#1 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:05 am
Trying to find out if the Lions will offer stitched jerseys. The Lions won't get back to me???
Does anyone know? I see on the Saskatchewan site that you can get stitched jerseys, and you can get shoulder patches.

Go Lions go.
For whatever it's worth the team store online for replica jerseys says lettering and numbering is Pro twill layered and heat transfered. That indicates fabric type numbers but can they be heat transfered or would it be the sleeve stripes and logo that are heat transfered?

There are some differences between the Lion and Rider jerseys. You mentioned shoulder patches. Rider jerseys only have green trim on the sleeve cuffs thus the logo shoulder patch on the sleeve stands alone. They don't have numbers on the shoulders or sleeves, only chest and back. Lions jerseys have the stripes on the sleeves with the logo imposed on the stripes. They also have numbers on top of the shoulders.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I also agree with preferring white outlines on numbers. I'd like orange AND white on the sleeves. I don't know about white socks, but maybe the same stripes as the sleeves. And then an orange cage. I think they didn't do these things because they wanted to go more black. I'm not concerned about them resembling an old Browns uniform. I'm more against them being orange versions of the Tigercats. Even last year's "gun metals" were pretty close the The Hammer unis. They didn't quite have the same gun metal look as the originals. They just looked grey and black. Still nice though.
I would LOVE and orange alternate, and I think they'd look cool with the gray pants. I plan to buy one of these but it will be the fog. I don't totally love the black one for the same reasons discussed. But I do look forward to hoe these home unis look on the field.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:11 pm
White outline around the numbers, a white-orange-white stripe down the center of the helmets and white socks.

I was just reading a comment over on RF regarding those centre stripes on the helmets. It made a ton of sense and may well explain why you no longer or very rarely see them.

Regarding the centre stripes, I was actually able to talk to an equipment guy and he said that they are the biggest PITA to deal with. The VICIS helmets shift and warp on contact and that really messes with the adhesive on the stripes, the Riddell Speedflex helmets have the giant vent just above the facemask as well that pulls the stripe as well. And the Schutt F7 has that top plate that is removable. All in all, a pain to deal with. In the purrfect world, it would be great if teams would just get everything painted on, but that can get really expensive.

Helmets arrive "some assembly required". The shell, facemasks and any logos, numbering, stripes etc are all bought seperately with the equipment manager assembling them to suit the needs of the player. Can you imagine the late, great Kato Kasuya trying to cut and fit a centre stripe on one of those Schutt helmets with all the holes etc to navigate on them? Lol. :shock:

https://www.riddell.com/riddell/en/Open ... LMET_SPDFX
https://vicis.com/collections/football-helmets
https://schuttsports.com/collections/helmets
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I guess patience is still a virtue. I saw the new home and away jerseys on the rack at FanFest in Kamloops. Looking at the road jersey the jury was still out for me. However seeing the pictures from the game this weekend and getting to see the complete package in action I think they looked very sharp.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:59 am
I guess patience is still a virtue. I saw the new home and away jerseys on the rack at FanFest in Kamloops. Looking at the road jersey the jury was still out for me. However seeing the pictures from the game this weekend and getting to see the complete package in action I think they looked very sharp.
I almost bought a new away jersey at Fan Fest because my old white jersey has no more room for autographs but I balked at the $223 price tag after already spending that much on a 2022 orange and black Whitehead jersey at Christmas.
Clash Dance
Rookie

I really like the road unis, but would like to see them with black pants.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:59 am
Looking at the road jersey the jury was still out for me. However seeing the pictures from the game this weekend and getting to see the complete package in action I think they looked very sharp.
My first reaction was that it's very reminiscent of what the Leos looked like when they took the field in the 1970s (mostly early to mid 70s).

Of course, their look changed drastically in 1978 when they went with burnt orange and brown with orange pants which I wasn't a huge fan of.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

Clash Dance wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:16 pm
I really like the road unis, but would like to see them with black pants.
You will everytime we play a team in regular season with white pants by league rule the jersey and pants cant conflict. Thats why we had the orange pants on road last few seasons in Ottawa (black pants), Hamilton (black pants), and Montreal (dark navy pants). Don’t think this rule applies in preseason.