2022 Free Agents - BC Targets - Top 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:56 pm
I am a bit surprised that the Lions seem to have moved on from Shaq Johnson as he is a legit speedster. I guess the next few days will be telling but I would be more surprised if Shaq doesn't sign with another team soon.
Shortly after Shaq tweeted he would be leaving the den Naylor said he was Ottawa bound. Kind of amounts to a Shaq for Petermann trade. BC gets a couple years younger, a bit slower and probably saves a few grand. They are built a bit differently too. I don't think there's any doubt Cottoy will be the only NAT starting receiver. Petermann's 5'11 205 frame as well as Scarfone at 6'1 204 and Hastings at 6"3 make them better depth options at slot for Cottoy.

Another aspect to consider is special teams. Depth Canadians tend to take on big roles in ST coverage. Last year after deducting starters, Rourke, Pierson and Knevel BC had 12 backup Canadians for ST coverage duties. I'm not recalling Shaq spending time on that ever. This year with Rourke, O'Connor and Whyte along with likely 2 OL that number drops by 2 making for increased importance that all depth NATs can contribute on teams.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:53 pm
DanoT wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:18 pm
Menard signing with BC is another surprise. With him being from Quebec and gaining Eastern Most Outstanding Canadian award as an AL, I thought he would remain an AL. Maybe Als were expecting a hometown discount and Menard wasn't agreeing.

Also, maybe Lions offered starter money + and have Menard penciled in as a starting DE?
Menard, Whyte, Purifoy all back in the Den where they began. Who comes back next?
I was hoping that it would be Andrew Harris that would be returning to the Lions Den but he is now an Argo. However, $ saved by not signing Harris might have been what helped sign the 4 new D lineman...a more pressing need than RB.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:53 pm
DanoT wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:18 pm
Menard signing with BC is another surprise. With him being from Quebec and gaining Eastern Most Outstanding Canadian award as an AL, I thought he would remain an AL. Maybe Als were expecting a hometown discount and Menard wasn't agreeing.

Also, maybe Lions offered starter money + and have Menard penciled in as a starting DE?
Menard, Whyte, Purifoy all back in the Den where they began. Who comes back next?
If Chris Jones was GM Brent Johnson, McCallum and Dante.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rick Campbell pointed out today that one of the quirks of the national ratio is that Rourke counts as one of seven required national starters but he and O’Connor are both counted as quarterbacks and not nationals on the overall roster, so the Lions need to dress 21 Canadians plus their two QBs. Only 6 of those 21 non-QBs need to start.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Other than 3DownN citing Farhan Lalji's tweet re Lions signing DL Woody Baron I've been unable to find confirmation on that transaction anywhere else. Last time I checked, minutes ago, the BC updated roster does not include Baron's name, however all other new FA signings are listed. Simple oversight perhaps, or were there complications and/or miscommunications about this deal?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:48 pm
Other than 3DownN citing Farhan Lalji's tweet re Lions signing DL Woody Baron I've been unable to find confirmation on that transaction anywhere else. Last time I checked, minutes ago, the BC updated roster does not include Baron's name, however all other new FA signings are listed. Simple oversight perhaps, or were there complications and/or miscommunications about this deal?
Could be a simple delay in processing. Transactions never show up on CFL.ca and team websites until the CFL office receives and registers a signed copy of the contract. There also could be something in it that needs clarification.
Reg18
Starter

So,lots happening. Montreal signs Trevor Harris anawler takes Edmonton's offer so now we still need another QB.the 3rd guy would usually be a development type project. Not sure whose out there that could step up if both our Canadian QBs fail to get it done
Reg18
Starter

Otherwise ourpick ups in free agency have been very well thought out with lots of upside on a bunch of them still waiting to see if they can land Boateng. If they can and he can play it might open up roster to get another American o lineman
Reg18
Starter

With Lawler going to the Elks.and Trevor Harris going to Montreal that leaves us lookingcdy Fajardo was injured recently and Harker went in and played half a ga ma e and didn't lookout of place a how about Isaac Harker?. L
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Reg18 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:38 am
Otherwise ourpick ups in free agency have been very well thought out with lots of upside on a bunch of them still waiting to see if they can land Boateng. If they can and he can play it might open up roster to get another American o lineman
Kwaku Boateng's not available, if I'm not mistaken he was one among the many FA's who signed on with the RedBlacks yesterday. But our new Betts/Menard rotation could be pretty effective alongside the Stove, and whoever else (supposedly Woody Baron). But yes, over on the other side of the trench the O-line remains vulnerable--even more so with the loss of Hunter Steward. I 'll continue to worry about the fate of our QBs so long as the protection remains porous.
squishy35
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:19 am
Reg18 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:38 am
Kwaku Boateng's not available, if I'm not mistaken he was one among the many FA's who signed on with the RedBlacks yesterday. But our new Betts/Menard rotation could be pretty effective alongside the Stove, and whoever else (supposedly Woody Baron). But yes, over on the other side of the trench the O-line remains vulnerable--even more so with the loss of Hunter Steward. I 'll continue to worry about the fate of our QBs so long as the protection remains porous.

Lions have Gwacham on the Roster. I believe that, given the addition of The Stove in the interior of the line, it will give Gwacham more opportunity to be more effective at containing the rush to the outside as teams ran right through our DT's last year.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

The Stove Richardson is probably the Lions' best FA signing because it addresses the biggest need. And signing Menard and Betts even further addresses D line needs as well as ratio needs.

It looks like the Lions will be starting 3 Ns on D allowing then to replace the departed Hunter Steward at LG with a A and still have the required 7 N starters.

The signing of a couple of CFL all stars in Purifoy and Breaux (assuming Breaux hasn't lost more than a half step at age 32) puts the Lions DB group and SAM LB, at least on paper, on par with the Mathews coached DBs of the mid 80s.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Reg18 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:04 am
With Lawler going to the Elks.and Trevor Harris going to Montreal that leaves us lookingcdy Fajardo was injured recently and Harker went in and played half a ga ma e and didn't lookout of place a how about Isaac Harker?. L
Good completion percentage for Harker going 70 for 97 (72.2%) but also very high interception percentage with 5 of his 27 incompletions being completions to the other team. He had 0 TDs to go with the 5 INTs.

Over in the rectangular province, as is the norm for the backup, going back to the start of 2019 when Collaros was their Week 1 starter Rider fans were giddy that Harker was going to be the "next one". If I recall some were upset when Fajardo got the nod over him to start in Week 2 after Collaros got hurt. In the final game last year with Fajardo getting the night off Harker underwhelmed with 16 for 23 for 150 yards with 2 picks. As a result 3rd stringer Mason Fine who went 5 for 9 for 64 yards 0 TDs and 0 INTs took over Harker's #2 role. Fine would be Fajardo's backup for both playoff games and remains under contract to the Riders while Harker is a FA. Obviously they will bring in at least 3 more QBs but for now all they have is Fajardo and Fine while the prairie schooner has sailed for Harker.

Not surprisingly over there most are now on the Fine bandwagon as being the "next one". There are some who ponder if they shouldn't have a veteran with at least some experience backing up Fajardo in a Grey Cup hosting season. The majority bristle at that idea believing if they lose Fajardo they can rely on Mason Fine to get to them through the season. With yesterday behind us the list of potential vet backups for anybody looking is even shorter. There's Nichols and McGuire who are both exploring opportunities to move on from football and Watford. That's about it although with Harris signing in Montreal it will probably only be a matter of days before Dom Davis is released.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have added to their national depth by signing linebacker Kevin Francis, who most recently played for Saskatchewan.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/02/09/lion ... n-francis/
DanoT
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:40 am
The Lions have added to their national depth by signing linebacker Kevin Francis, who most recently played for Saskatchewan.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/02/09/lion ... n-francis/
Good signing as it makes up for the loss of Konar to Elks. Might even be an upgrade.