2022 Coaching Staff Announcement

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have announced the hiring of Henry Burris as offensive consultant. I'm not sure exactly what the new role means but that's a great hire, given his experience playing for Rick Campbell in Ottawa and coaching for the past two years with the Chicago Bears, most recently as offensive quality control coach in 2021. A new set of eyes to help OC Jordan Maksymic can be helpful.

SMILIN’ FOR HANK | LIONS ADD BURRIS AS OFFENSIVE CONSULTANT
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hank is an excellent, prudent and timely addition. BC is going all-in on entrusting Rourke with the keys to their offensive hopes. Given Rourke's inexperience, and that of O'Connor for that matter, there was one glaring void on Campbell's staff. Outside of Jordan Maksymic's experience as a high school football QB in St. Albert, AB the BC staff had nobody with any form of quarterbacking experience to be able to mentor, guide and otherwise coach the specifics of playing the QB position.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:13 am
Hank is an excellent, prudent and timely addition. BC is going all-in on entrusting Rourke with the keys to their offensive hopes. Given Rourke's inexperience, and that of O'Connor for that matter, there was one glaring void on Campbell's staff. Outside of Jordan Maksymic's experience as a high school football QB in St. Albert, AB the BC staff had nobody with any form of quarterbacking experience to be able to mentor, guide and otherwise coach the specifics of playing the QB position.
I was just thinking the other day: Lions HC is a D guy, OC and starting QB are 2nd year at their job and the backup QB is what in this 3rd season? In total that is a bit light on experience. So HIRING BURISS IS HUGE. It nicely addresses my concerns.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

They say smiling is contagious... I know I'm smiling even wider now than I was a day ago, in anticipation of May/training camp! And Hank's got a lot more to offer our two young pivots than that famous smile of his. Thumbs up!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Further details on the arrangement, and Hank's thoughts re Rourke etc. https://3downnation.com/2022/03/15/lion ... an-rourke/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Burris can help Rourke in training camp but what Rourke really needs is a full-time QB coach and mentor to give him immediate feedback on the practice field and on the sideline. Last year Rourke could understudy Michael Reilly. He may not have an experienced veteran QB to help him this year. Jordan Maksymic is OC and QB coach but he’s the play-caller and is responsible for the entire offence. He won’t always be available to give feedback to Rourke and review video on the sideline. I hope Burris can fly in for some game days, especially in the early season when Rourke’s confidence could be tested.
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:10 pm
Burris can help Rourke in training camp but what Rourke really needs is a full-time QB coach and mentor to give him immediate feedback on the practice field and on the sideline. Last year Rourke could understudy Michael Reilly. He may not have an experienced veteran QB to help him this year. Jordan Maksymic is OC and QB coach but he’s the play-caller and is responsible for the entire offence. He won’t always be available to give feedback to Rourke and review video on the sideline. I hope Burris can fly in for some game days, especially in the early season when Rourke’s confidence could be tested.
I agree. I believe a great impact can be made on both young QB's in Training Camp with Burris' insights.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Cool. Cool. Three guys in the room to try and graft the wrong offensive system onto a quarterback whose skill set isn't suited for it.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:29 am
Cool. Cool. Three guys in the room to try and graft the wrong offensive system onto a quarterback whose skill set isn't suited for it.
Can you identify the "wrong offensive system" and what is the QB skill set that you are referring to?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well... that didn't last long! Hank is taking his smile somewhere else! Goodbye BC Lions, hello NFL. I should have guessed. https://3downnation.com/2022/03/25/b-c- ... iring-him/
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I wonder what Kevin Glen is doing?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:54 pm
I wonder what Kevin Glen is doing?
Well, since you mention him... Kevin Glenn seems to have found his happy place at a private school in Detroit. https://3downnation.com/2020/10/23/cfl- ... gh-school/
But, anyhow... if the option remains for someone filling a long-distance QB coaching arrangement in lieu of a resident coach, I guess a number of possible candidates are out there. Maybe Mr. Lulay could spare some time away from sole focus on family and the family business? Just spitballing.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

So which team is Burris working for now ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:42 pm
So which team is Burris working for now ?
According to Rod Pedersen, Jacksonville.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:33 pm
Well... that didn't last long! Hank is taking his smile somewhere else! Goodbye BC Lions, hello NFL. I should have guessed. https://3downnation.com/2022/03/25/b-c- ... iring-him/
Not a surprise other than in how quick it happened. Given the arrangements agreed upon I assumed he was free to leave at any time should such an opportunity turn up. Not a bad landing spot though getting to work with Trevor Lawrence.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.