Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

I don't get the lack of "love" here for Sayles. From my seat, he was one of the best open field tacklers on the defence. Not many got by him when he was playing safety. He made tackles all over the field, and I thought he had good anticipation to the ball. I guess it is always in the eyes of the beholder....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JC Abbott of 3downnation.com has estimated the salary cap situation of every CFL team. He calculates that despite signing some high-priced free agents on the defensive line, the Lions are about $400,000 under the projected cap of $5.3 million, which gives them the most cap room of any team. It all stems from having Nathan Rourke at QB on a rookie contract that maxes out at $79,000. That gives the Lions a lot of flexibility to pick up veterans who become cap casualties on other teams.

Cap crunch: breaking down the salary cap situation of every CFL team for 2022
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:27 pm
JC Abbott of 3downnation.com has estimated the salary cap situation of every CFL team. He calculates that despite signing some high-priced free agents on the defensive line, the Lions are about $400,000 under the projected cap of $5.3 million, which gives them the most cap room of any team. It all stems from having Nathan Rourke at QB on a rookie contract that maxes out at $79,000. That gives the Lions a lot of flexibility to pick up veterans who become cap casualties on other teams.

Cap crunch: breaking down the salary cap situation of every CFL team for 2022
I was confident the Lions would be well below the cap to the point they might be closer to the cap floor than cap limit. Turns out this estimate is only $77,900 above what might be the cap floor if it rises in the new CBA as it has in the old CBA. 2021 cap floor was $4.75M. In the old CBA the floor rose $50K per year making for a projected 2022 floor of $4.8M if the new CBA follows the old pace.

Since that article was posted one of those casualties was announced in the form of Argo NAT OT Jamal Campbell.
https://3downnation.com/2022/03/14/argo ... son-bonus/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions currently have (A) Perkins at RT on what I think is the 2nd year of a low cost rookie contract. So, while Lions have the cap space to sign (N) Campbell at RT, is he an upgrade at the position and if so, how much?

Lions also have (N) Knevel who can backup RT, so a starting N at RT is doable.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Campbell was due to make close to $200,000 this year. The Lions should have cap room for him. The Argos may not have. The question is whether they think Campbell is good enough to start ahead of Perkins, Norman or Broxton so they can start an extra national on the O-line.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:27 pm
Campbell was due to make close to $200,000 this year. The Lions should have cap room for him. The Argos may not have. The question is whether they think Campbell is good enough to start ahead of Perkins, Norman or Broxton so they can start an extra national on the O-line.
That $200K total sticker price must be the main reason. The 3D article talked about a $7500 roster bonus coming due which seems extremely insignificant IMO.......unless they missed a zero at the end.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Offensive line remains a huge question mark for Lions. Given where they are from a salary cap situation thanks to JC Abbott’s work Campbell has to be on their radar screen then go Americans at centre and guard. Given they reportedly spent $190,000 on Woody Barron an extra 10 grand for a solid 28 year old national tackle is a no brainer
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jamal Campbell has signed in Saskatchewan.

https://www.riderville.com/2022/03/17/r ... -campbell/
David
Team Captain

John Hodge wrote:Jamal Campbell's new contract with the Saskatchewan Roughriders includes $131,000 in hard money with playtime taking the deal to a maximum of $154,000, per source.

That's solid value for a ratio-breaker who was set to earn $200,000 in Toronto.
Wow, $154K??

I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least kick tires on Campbell, let alone get "outbid" for his services.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

About the O-Line, (a concern I've expressed, along with many of us here); The subject is briefly addressed by Coach Campbell in his recent 1st & Now video interview with Matt Baker. The gist of Campbell's brief comment is he's excited about our O-line, and the potential flexibility (i.e. possibly 3 Americans). He seems not to be worried about the personnel there, and merely reiterated how it takes all the facets on offence to make the O-line work, i.e. the play of the running back, the play of the QB, etc. This we've heard before. And it's true of course. But, all that said, I can't help but feel we're weaker than we were, with the loss of Hunter Steward. Here's hoping I'm proven wrong. I would very happily be wrong about this. Here's the link (see 23-minute mark): https://www.bclions.com/2022/03/11/1st- ... -comeback/
OV:54-40
Starter

With the 3rd overall pick, the Lions could address O-Line and get a very good prospect; maybe more a development project, but also maybe a guy with the talent to start sooner than later.

Still think they should be very interested in drafting one of the Philpot twins with that 1st pick, and then could still get a decent O-line prospect with the next pick ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:19 pm
With the 3rd overall pick, the Lions could address O-Line and get a very good prospect; maybe more a development project, but also maybe a guy with the talent to start sooner than later.

Still think they should be very interested in drafting one of the Philpot twins with that 1st pick, and then could still get a decent O-line prospect with the next pick ?
True, but I don't think the Lions will be able to pass up one of the Philpot brothers at No. 3.
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:42 pm

True, but I don't think the Lions will be able to pass up one of the Philpot brothers at No. 3.
Yeah - both seem like outstanding prospects - speed & deep threat ability - and fit an area of need (minus Durant & S. Johnson). Also maybe a marketing prospect to mine team history?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:42 pm

Just curious... has any one of the two teams picking ahead of the Lions (i.e. Elks or RedBlacks) already indicated zero interest in either of the Philpot brothers? Otherwise obviously the brothers could be gone by the 3rd pick.
Starter

I guess the Philpots could go 1-2; but wouldn't bet on it; the EE have some experienced Canadian receivers on the roster, and Ottawa has added some new talent there this off-season.