Elks at BC Nov 19

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have made surprisingly few lineup changes this week. They’re obviously dressing the roster that gives them the best chance for a rare home victory to avoid finishing behind the Elks in the West Division basement.

Rookie QB Nathan Rourke will have the same starting offence that the Lions used last week except for the addition of Phil Norman at left tackle for the injured Joel Figueroa. Kevin Thomson is activated from the practice roster as backup QB.

Anthony Cioffi will get his first start at safety, where I’ve been hoping to see him all season. The rest of the starting defence is unchanged from last week.

Quadree Henderson is activated from the practice roster as a returner for the second time in three games. Nick Vogel, who is 5 for 5 on field goals, remains kicker for the third straight game. Stefan Flintoft remains as punter.

The Lions are playing for pride. This game gives them a chance to end a disappointing season on a positive note.

Lions’ depth chart and roster
David
Team Captain

I am really surprised that Michael Reilly isn't even dressing for this one. If it's due to injury that can, say, do harm to his elbow is one thing. To just not dress him and give that roster spot to the #3 is quite telling.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:05 pm
I am really surprised that Michael Reilly isn't even dressing for this one. If it's due to injury that can say, do harm to his elbow is one thing. To just not dress him and give that roster spot to the #3, is quite telling.

I'm not sure what Reilly not dressing is telling us. If he is not starting, what is the point of playing him in a nothing game? Seems to me there is value in seeing the 2nd and 3rd string QB in action whereas Lions know exactly what they have in Reilly. So I guess that is what the Lions are telling us by not dressing Reilly: the 3rd string QB will see some action.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I guess that is right although the info that one garbage game with no meaning will tell us at the end of the season is questionable at best. If by some chance the Lions lose this game, it will only serve to cement the impression of how bad this team really is. I would suggest that if the Lions cannot beat the lowly Elks who are on their 3rd game in a week, that it will be the last game coaching for Campbell. I would have to believe that if the Lions can't win at home under these circumstances, the team has quit on the coaching staff.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:43 pm
Yeah, I guess that is right although the info that one garbage game with no meaning will tell us at the end of the season is questionable at best. If by some chance the Lions lose this game, it will only serve to cement the impression of how bad this team really is. I would suggest that if the Lions cannot beat the lowly Elks who are on their 3rd game in a week, that it will be the last game coaching for Campbell. I would have to believe that if the Lions can't win at home under these circumstances, the team has quit on the coaching staff.
The players won't be quitting on the coach, rather they will be playing for jobs for next season. Quitting on the coach so he gets fired is not a job security move as the new coach will likely be looking to hire "his guys".

Campbell isn't going to get fired after one year as HC co-GM in part because there aren't a lot of viable replacements around.
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:05 pm
I am really surprised that Michael Reilly isn't even dressing for this one. If it's due to injury that can, say, do harm to his elbow is one thing. To just not dress him and give that roster spot to the #3 is quite telling.

I think Reilly has been playing with bruised ribs for awhile (first mention of it was the WPG blowout). He has been showing visible pain with hard hits since then. It's not the elbow.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:43 pm
The players won't be quitting on the coach, rather they will be playing for jobs for next season. Quitting on the coach so he gets fired is not a job security move as the new coach will likely be looking to hire "his guys".

Campbell isn't going to get fired after one year as HC co-GM in part because there aren't a lot of viable replacements around.
Time will tell. Ending the season with 8 straight losses certainly isn't an inducement to carry on status quo. Nothing is written in stone but you would have to admit that a poor showing tonight, playing for jobs not withstanding, would certainly make you wonder whether you even had a choice going forward with this coach/management. Having said that, I am taking the Lions to win but one has to wonder what the "what if" would be should they fail.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

If the Elk hadnt played on Tue, I would fully expect them to win.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, let the game begin.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Impressive opening drive
KnightofCydonia
Starter

Great first drive by Rourke!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Oh. The kid can play can he? Who knew?

SMDH.
KnightofCydonia
Starter

Love to see Lions are having some fun today!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rourke is so cool under pressure
KnightofCydonia
Starter

This game will be a great confidence boost for Rourke if it continues like this.

He's looking composed and decisive. Also - very noticeable how much faster he moves compared to Reilly.