Update: Michael Reilly retires

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MacNews wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:13 pm
We should have kept him ... Who should replace him? Harris?
Dear God I hope not. Question is what is the best approach for the combination of starter and backup. Having a veteran in the mix is essential given Rourke's inexperience. Will they be looking for a veteran to be the starter buying another year of development for Rourke? Or are they willing to roll with Rourke and looking for a veteran to help mentor Rourke while providing insurance/safety net for him. For my money Masoli is the correct answer to cover both bases. The way he was able to work with Evans for 2 years says it all. Both were in outright competition for the starting job yet both worked tirelessly to help make the other one better.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was hoping for one more year from Reilly. I would now like to see the Lions sign Masoli as the starter with Rourke as the backup.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rourke will be the starter. He is smart, has a strong arm and is a dynamic runner who will keep defences off balance and buy time for receivers to get open. And he should avoid some of the sacks that Reilly took in the latter stages of his career. Rourke is also Canadian and can sell tickets. He will make mistakes. He threw 3 TDs and 5 interceptions last year but that ratio should improve with experience.

Masoli isn't going anywhere unless he is vaccinated. And he is a top-quality starter when he is able to play. Would he come to B.C. as a No. 2 or a 1a when he could be No. 1 in Ottawa or Toronto? Matt Nichols or Trevor Harris might be better options as veterans who can mentor Rourke. Michael O'Connor might also be an interesting pickup. When was the last time a CFL team had two Canadian QBs?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Ottawa is the biggest fly in the ointment for Masoli coming west as much as coming west might be very attractive for a California kid who played at Oregon. There are other intriguing possibilities for vacancies. Streveler is likely to be available. Would Lapolice want to reunite with him in Ottawa or given his druthers would he go with Masoli?

In another forum I opined that out of the vets most likely to be available I'd prefer Masoli and no thanks to Harris, Nichols or gasp Dom Davis. I was trying to think of other younger backups with some experience for consideration and came up empty. O'Connor had totally slipped my mind. That's intriguing BCF. Would give them dirt cheap QBing freeing up a ton of cap space to fix other areas. Having said that if they decided to turn it over to Rourke I think it's a given they'd rework his contract to give him a healthy raise for the coming year. I'm thinking into the $200K-$250K range.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Rick Campbell makes it official--Nathan Rourke will be Lions #1 QB--saying the arrangement (be it with Harris or whoever) could be considered #1- and #1-B. https://3downnation.com/2022/01/24/its- ... 22-season/
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:34 pm
Rick Campbell makes it official--Nathan Rourke will be Lions #1 QB--saying the arrangement (be it with Harris or whoever) could be considered #1- and #1-B. https://3downnation.com/2022/01/24/its- ... 22-season/
Actually, I should have said, "1 and 1-A" (not B) --to properly quote the coach. re the hoped-for QB arrangement.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
That didn't take long. Reilly was barely out the door. :wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:45 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
That didn't take long. Reilly was barely out the door. :wink:
I think it was a good marketing move to name the #1 QB asap.

Getting Burnham under contract is now a big priority because as flashy and explosive as Lucky might be, a young QB really needs that reliable possession guy that is Burnham.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

At this time last year neither Rourke nor Lucky were under contract to the Lions. Now they are the two faces of the franchise. My how times change. :wink:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I just hope the lions scouts are giving their all to find the next Reilly.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:29 pm
Hiopefully they have the next decade to find the next Rourke.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:29 pm
You seem to be bucking a trend as most here and in the Lions organization think Rourke is the next Reilly. It is really just a question of is he ready now or does he need more time to learn and develop.

Looks like it is going to be learn by doing, I hope the scouts are giving their all to find the next Javon Olafioye or Angus Reid.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:27 pm

In another forum I opined that out of the vets most likely to be available I'd prefer Masoli and no thanks to Harris, Nichols or gasp Dom Davis. I was trying to think of other younger backups with some experience for consideration and came up empty. O'Connor had totally slipped my mind. That's intriguing BCF. Would give them dirt cheap QBing freeing up a ton of cap space to fix other areas. Having said that if they decided to turn it over to Rourke I think it's a given they'd rework his contract to give him a healthy raise for the coming year. I'm thinking into the $200K-$250K range.
Antonio Pipkin or Caleb Evans?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:17 pm

Antonio Pipkin or Caleb Evans?
Both under contract for 2022. O'Connor though is a pending FA. With BLM and Maier both under contract he doesn't have much of a future in Calgary.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I expect the Lions to be very busy in free agency.