How to fix this mess?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dtrain
Starter

I sent new owner a friendly ‘welcome to the den’ email, got nothing back. Anyone else?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:20 pm
I sent new owner a friendly ‘welcome to the den’ email, got nothing back. Anyone else?
Pretty much on par with this organization. Emailed them prior to the first game about the digital tickets. Never heard back. Emailed fanservices about my not receiving my plastic bag. Never heard back. Emailed by ticket rep regarding buying an extra ticket to take my great niece to a game. Never heard back. See the trend ??
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’ve always had immediate responses when I’ve emailed various team presidents over the years, as well as communications staffers and ticket reps. I’ve also enjoyed chatting in person with many of them. I’ve never written to a team owner though.
dtrain
Starter

I too have gotten email responses from Wally, Skulsky, Rick L, that’s why i was surprised to get no response from an owner who stated he ‘wants to hear from us’.
dtrain
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm
dtrain wrote:
Pretty much on par with this organization. Emailed them prior to the first game about the digital tickets. Never heard back. Emailed fanservices about my not receiving my plastic bag. Never heard back. Emailed by ticket rep regarding buying an extra ticket to take my great niece to a game. Never heard back. See the trend ??
Maybe we should both cancel tickets, see if they respond to that? ;)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That would certainly get their undivided attention.
Odie
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm
dtrain wrote:
In the past, they have been great and I’ve had good luck getting in touch and getting responses. That said, this year, as a season ticket holder, I inquired about the jersey with the pandemic patch that was available to seasons ticket holders. I emailed our rep, followed up through social media and got nothing. Tried calling- nothing. Found the rep at a game- he told me he would call me on Monday. No call, no follow up. Found him again at the next game and he, on the spot tried to get me one, but informed me that I was now too late and that the jerseys had sold out. His response: oops- well sorry. You can always purchase a regular jersey at the fan booth. I’m still a bit frustrated by this… on the plus side, I guess it saved me 200$…

I’m not going to get too upset- this has been my team since I was about 3 and saw my first game on TV and it’ll be my team until the end… I just won’t be wearing a New Jersey with a pandemic patch.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

One big thing working in Campbell’s favour moving forward is Claybrook’s 3-year contract will come off the books in 2022 regarding the football operations salary cap.

That can go towards an exclusive GM or a defensive coordinator, two additional titles on top of Campbell’s HC duties this season.

Good reason Claybrooks hasn’t been in a hurry to return to coaching and he should be in high demand as a defensive coordinator. Interesting that in an article written by Danny Austin from the Calgary Sun in the summer of 2020, Claybrooks didn’t rule out working with Campbell who he is very good friends with.
Sure would have been interesting if he served as DC this season. He now lives in Calgary but how crazy would it be him returning in 2022 as DC?
The Lions lost five games by five points or less; the average was 11. Claybrooks had signed a three-year deal and thought he would have more time to make his bones, especially since GM Ed Hervey totally remade the roster in the off-season.

“One thing I can say about Rick is he’s a standup guy. He’s one of my best friends. I owe him a lot. We have a great relationship. If you’re fortunate enough to resign from one opportunity and walk right into another, you can’t ask for a better situation on his end. Honestly. Do I have any ill will? No. I would work for Rick again. Not an issue.”
David
Team Captain

I said hello to DeVone on the seawall near Olympic Village this past winter or Spring (I can't quite recall) so he obviously spends some time in the Vancouver area. I would be fine with him being a DC for us. He had a lot of success in Calgary.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

There is no way to fix this mess this season and best way to fix this mess for 2022 is to somehow find an experienced DC and an upgrade at OC. Not easy to do.
maxlion
Legend

Ed Hervey resigned in October 2020, long after Campbell and Macsymic were hired. The team is still largely Hervey's team, including most of the big contracts such as Reilly, Chungh and Durant.

McEvoy and Campbell haven't really had a chance to put their mark on the team, and we don't really know what they would have done or will do differently.

But the bigger wildcard is Doman. This team was Braley's for a long time. Doman might not share Braley's conservative approach. Too hard to predict now what might be in store for this team.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The real cure for this team is a management that will actually make some good decisions. I wasn't all that excited about Hervey although I wouldn't have ever guessed he would have gone that wrong. He made some moves, made some other moves and then beat a hasty retreat. Before that we had the all encompassing Wally Buono who seemed mired in the previous era. His prejudices were well known. Maybe 3rd time lucky.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

You want to fix this mess? As much as it pains me to say it.......

Chris Jones. Give him both jobs and get out of his way.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lion Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:26 pm
You want to fix this mess? As much as it pains me to say it.......

Chris Jones. Give him both jobs and get out of his way.
History shows that as soon as Jones gets a better offer, he's gone...so no thanks as I'd rather see a longer term more sustainable fix.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As a head coach, jones won the dance only once. Never as a GM. By far his biggest success came as a DC but he was with powerhouse teams during those times. His record as a coach or GM certainly don't confer legendary status and his other qualities detract from even that. If there were absolutely no comparable options maybe but it would be a very reluctant choice and i would fully expect it to end badly.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.