How to fix this mess?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Reg18 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:06 pm
Hire johnhuffagel. He's probly ookingtogo toteener pastures
15 will get you 20. :wag:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Reg18
Starter

I wonder about the case of Daniel Egby theqb we signed to our PR who isnowa Seahawk n their PR? Did he get afair shake here? Or did he figure out that he wasn't allowed to compete for a role with the lions so he bailed on us. Was Reilly involved in this decision? It seems tome that any qb we bring in that looks to be able to challenge ?Reilly won't be allowed to grow into a starting QB. Whose running the Lions,? Time for a leader to evolve and fix this sorry mess
MacNews
Team Captain

I have two more to the list:

The Lions always pay too much for some returner that never delivers. Just pay the minimum as all we need is for the returner to catch the ball in the air, not let it bounce and not fumble it.

Also the Lions always sign Castillo, White and others only to see them play for someone else. Time to pay someone good and hang onto them. It is such a momentum killer to miss PAT and FGs.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Desjardin is toxic and his inability to re-sign a lot of players is a good indication of that. And of course he would have to fire Campbell if he (Desjardin) were to become the next Lions GM.

I think the Lions new owner is too new to get a good feel as to what is the next step for his team, so he will stand pat for now.

I also think the big failing of the Lions is not all the new players but the new and inadequate assistant coaches, specifically Reilly's guy, OC Maksymic who is a disaster at play calling, imo.
David
Team Captain

I think the last 4 games are a referendum on Campbell's future. Four more uninspired, listless performances and Doman has no other choice. We have far more talent than what's on display right now. I hope Doman can surround himself with a small group of trusted Lions alumni to advise him on football-related matters so he can make a more informed decision. I see them at games. They can read the tea leaves.

What's likely to happen is McEvoy/Campbell stay together as co-GMs and Campbell gets another HC shot. But expect to see changes both in the assistant coaching ranks and in personnel. I will be keenly interested in what happens to Reilly. I would love him to stay. Big fan. But that contract is crippling us in other areas (e.g. D-line) and Rourke will need a bigger role soon to further his development.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Keep in mind that Reilly took a pay cut when he settled his grievance in December and renewed his contract for this year and next. He is due to make $575,000 in 2022, which is still high but not out of line wirh other top QBs.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I have never been a big fan of Reilly's big contract and its impact on the rest of the team (Cap). Also have not been a fan of Reilly basically picking the OC as it was a poor selection meaning Reilly is his own OC and its then just mostly long passes and not much running or creativity.

This is Reilly's O and it stinks and he needs to shoulder the blame and by "shoulder" I mean take a hit in the wallet next season or find somewhere else to work.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Players should play and coaches coach. To have a player pick his coach is a recipe for disaster.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Anyone think Dave Dickenson may have GM aspirations?.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 pm
With John Hufnagel 70 he would probably get the GM job in Calgary if he wanted it. I get the feeling DD still loves the scheming and play calling aspect as a former QB turned head coach but that could change one day.

Farhan identified these 4 as the most ready GM candidates:
Ted Govea
Danny McManus
Ryan Rigmaiden
Geroy Simon

If the Lions free fall continues does Doman not just promote Geroy which would be extremely popular whether he is the best of the 4 or not?
Better put, can the franchise afford Simon hired elsewhere and being successful?
Neon Leon
prospect

Hey boys, first time posting here. Been a Lions fan since early 70s when our parents would abandon my brother and me to the end zone cheap seats at Empire.
Love all the discussion here. Some great points being made.
Not sure Campbell is the answer. It’s great offensive minds like Huf or Dickinson that we so sorely need. I always felt that /hope Lulay would be our Dickerson to move into OC then HC. I know he has a young family/life in WA. Love the idea of Geroy too.
Last edited by Neon Leon on Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:44 pm
Dave Dickenson's wife is an oil industry executive so they are not moving out of Calgary any time soon.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I've heard that before but it doesn't seem to preclude other teams hiring coaches and staff that have roots somewhere else. The bottom line is that it never hurts to ask. DD has a history in this city as well and if Wally had handled the situation better back in the day it is possible that DD would be here now instead of Calgary. Maybe he wouldn't be interested but maybe he would. Sometimes it is about a challenge. Sure you can step into a situation that is optimal and try to keep the momentum going but sometimes people want to see if they can take a problem, solve it and establish their own legacy. There is a new owner in BC who is going to be looking for fresh ideas and faces and maybe there is an appeal there that we aren't aware of. Best not rule anything out before we start. I'd be okay with Simon too if it comes to that. I like the DD mind a bit better as I have always considered him one of the best thinking players that has ever played in this league. Better as a QB that many of the OC's who did the play calling. It also bears pointing out that the face of work has changed radically in the last 2 years. Does Mrs. D actually go to a office these days? Many people don't and there is a strong belief out there that the image of the commuting employee has been altered going forward. Maybe she can work remotely and keep her current employment. There are many possibilities.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Neon Leon wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:21 am
Hey boys, first time posting here. Been a Lions fan since early 70s when our parents would abandon my brother and me to the end zone cheap seats at Empire.
Not sure Campbell is the answer. It’s great offensive minds like Huf or Dickinson that we so sorely need. I always felt that /hope Lulay would be our Dickerson to move into OC then HC. I know he has a young family/life in WA. Love the idea of Geroy too.
On behalf of the completely unofficial "Lionbackers Welcome Flying Squad" Welcome!
Neon Leon
prospect

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:35 pm
Neon Leon wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:21 am
On behalf of the completely unofficial "Lionbackers Welcome Flying Squad" Welcome!
Thank you! It's great to see so many knowledgable Leo fans. Especially at a time right now. Having a new owner is exciting, to see where Mr. Doman can take this franchise.