Claybrooks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Murdoch
Rookie

Nice to see a Claybrooks update on 3DN and to clear a little air surrounding his dismissal. Bearing no grudges will find him work again soon.

I said at the time it didn't come from Ed Hervey and was somewhat coincidentally timed with Neil McEvoy taking his name out of consideration for the Montreal GM role.

Still say it is yet to be seen if Campbell who went 3 - 15 last year is an upgrade and remain convinced Rhymes and or Holley will not be an upgrade on Duron Carter. I like them both but I like DC as well.

Always tough to do a job when three people are calling the shots and the guy that gets sent on his way is not always the real trouble.

B.C.FAN
MVP
MVP

Murdoch wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:23 am
Nice to see a Claybrooks update on 3DN and to clear a little air surrounding his dismissal. Bearing no grudges will find him work again soon.

I said at the time it didn't come from Ed Hervey and was somewhat coincidentally timed with Neil McEvoy taking his name out of consideration for the Montreal GM role.

Still say it is yet to be seen if Campbell who went 3 - 15 last year is an upgrade and remain convinced Rhymes and or Holley will not be an upgrade on Duron Carter. I like them both but I like DC as well.

Always tough to do a job when three people are calling the shots and the guy that gets sent on his way is not always the real trouble.
I found it interesting that Claybrooks said Ed Hervey fought to retain him but David Braley insisted on firing him and paying out the final two years of his contract.
“I was told by my boss, Ed, that he did everything he can to fight to get us another year but at the end of the day the owner (David Braley) decided on a different direction. Like I’ve said a number of times, when your name is on the front of the cheque, you can dictate what happens to the guy who signs the back of the cheque.
Here's a link to the original article by Dan Barnes of Postmedia:

Life after the Lions has been incredibly busy for DeVone Claybrooks

"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy
David
MVP
MVP

I am not convinced that the record alone influenced Braley's decision. There were signs that the team was improving (until Reilly went down). Further, Claybrooks was very popular with the players and his assistants could have easily walked the plank in the off-season for change's sake, while retaining him.

Being old school (and I don't mean old school as in "old skool." I mean old school as in ink wells for writing and horse-drawn buggies for school busses) and hearing/reading fan displeasure over Claybrook's cocked hats and relaxed sideline demeanour likely played a part. I believe there was a perception that the club didn't look professional, although I don't share that opinion.

DH :cool:

Please sell the team, Mr. Braley.