Carter released from Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/roughriders-release- ... -1.1156606

Big news from Regina....this screams “why”?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Just heard TSN in the Als-RB game say this. Shocking.

No doubt he's not been happy given the lack of a role there and no QB who can get him the ball (not to mention being wasted on the D).

This Als game is good.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/11/riders-re ... on-carter/

Unless he's got another off field issue, he should get picked up by someone fast. He'd certainly add to BC's offense.

https://twitter.com/search?q=farhan%20lalji&src=typd

Farhan Lalji
‏Verified account @FarhanLaljiTSN
35m35 minutes ago

Duron Carter wasn’t given any reason for his release. Was thanked for his work on both sides of the ball & told the team was moving in another direction.
Veteran contracts aren’t guaranteed until after 9th game, so #Riders arent on the hook for the balance of the year. @CFLonTSN
31 replies 109 retweets 70 likes
Farhan Lalji
‏Verified account @FarhanLaljiTSN
28m28 minutes ago

Carter is currently in Montreal on #Riders bye week. Says there was no conflict with coaches. Isnt concerned about why, more focused on his next move. i would expect it wont take him long to find a new home.
Curious if this will lead to anything with Terrell Owens. @CFLonTSN
Carter had only 8 Receptions for 111 yards this season.

Congrats to Chris Jones for taking one of the most exciting Receivers in the CFL and making him expendable.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Get ready to see Owens in Rider green.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

If he is still in Montreal, Carter should check with Kavis Reed. Though I bet Boris Bede hopes he doesn’t...

I have to wonder if Jones simply couldn’t contain his ego and the toxicity of his personality when things aren’t going his way. Jones freely admitted that Carter had to be kept busy to prevent him becoming a distraction. How long could that last?!?!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think the 8/111 for yards and the current corps of receivers were factors. But I also think they know they can't get him the ball even with Collaros improving.

The other shocker was how Jones has handled (and mistreated) Brandon Bridge this year.

Rider Forum posts suggest the fans there are shocked and confused and some are losing confidence in Jones as this moves seems senseless
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:52 pm
Get ready to see Owens in Rider green.
TO looked in shape but even Jones wasn't thinking he's game ready BUT with Jones, he might sign the guy.

Rider Forum fans are 100% negative on releasing Carter to sign Owens.

Quite frankly as good as Jones is as a DEF coach, his moves confuse fans in Regina as they don't see a lot of them part of a plan and direction.
maxlion
Legend

Jones and company are probably tired of having to babysit him.

Classic case of a million dollar talent, and 10 cent head. Tempting, but not worth the trouble in the end.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

They say he likely will sign with another team soon, but who? It will not be Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg. Montreal already had him once. but could use him. Ottawa will not sign him after what they said about Purifoy. That leaves the Lions and the Tiger Cats. I do not see BC signing him, so that leaves one team or two if Montreal is willing to roll the dice on him again. Montreal is the one team that really needs help at receiver.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This release reminds me of when Lions cut Sammy Greene and to this day never said why. Lions never recovered from that that season and may have won the cup in 83 if he stayed.

I think Jones will never say why either leaving people to speculate.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Carter's replacement, Zack Evans, isn't going to make any DC game plan for him the way Carter does.
The Riders are now a weaker team. It was a mistake to use Carter on D and another mistake to release him.
Chris Jones has shown once again that he is a substandard GM/HC. Very good DC, though.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Surprised move to say the least.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Farhan is all over the story. Says now that Carter's was not happy with the team's performance and was telling it like it is and Jones has ended it.

Rider Forum with posters who know the player speak highly of him and are suggesting that the Riders best have a good explanation as he's popular with fans and kids and all who meet Carter (adults) think he's super.

I suspect team mates aren't unhappy with the player but the GM and HC who is orchestrating all this will be.

As Lalji says, there will be no shortage of teams wanting him for nothing. No one will trade for him as he says as they were just waiting for the release.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/lalji-on-rough ... er~1459587
FarhanLaljiTSN
@FarhanLaljiTSN

A few #Riders werent surprised at Carter’s release. Said there was a general frustration at the team’s lack of success and he wasnt afraid to express that. Sounds similar to situation with #Alouettes in 2016. But #ridernation loved him!
Panel on Carter and Manziel:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/lalji-on-rough ... er~1459587
Blitz
Team Captain

Kavis Reed says he is going to contact Duron Carter and is open to a second go around with him.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If I remember correctly, Kavis Reed was the ST coach, not the GM when Carter was previously an Al, so that could make it a lot easier for Carter to return to the Als.

"Manziel to Carter for the TD" should be something that the Als can sell in Montreal.

I feel a lot better having the Lions playing future games against a Carter-less Riders.

Chris Jones loves his "projects" and so this is essentially an admission that he has failed with Carter.

IMO, Jones is a bigger failure as a HC/GM/VP/DC than Carter is as a DB/WR and teammate.
maxlion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 pm
FarhanLaljiTSN
I hear that the UN is hiring.