Lions 31 - Eskimos 23, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions - Eskimos, Post-Game Stats and Comments

Lulay is incredible. Better appreciate him while we can. No quit in the Lulay.

2:24 left. Incomplete pass. Reilly moves the Schmos down to the 16.

Our talent looks good to me.

QB as good as it gets. RBs same. Receivers top notch. OL talented but often confused, imo. DL talented. LBs talented. DBs talented, but in a system that hangs them out, playing chase, or watching passively, virtually standing still in a zone.

Coaching: This fan does not like our soft zone pass defense philosophy. Loose cover, loose zones. And this fan would like to see more well-timed, disguised blitzes. This fan also thinks we need to see a change at OL coach, after all these years.

We see the usual suspects. Pass protection is pi** poor. Prime suspect Dorazio. Wally was beaking at Dorazio before the half.

Pass defence is suspect. Talented players, standing in space, in their zones, waiting to move once the ball is airborne. Prime suspect Washington.

Wally won't quit. Lulay won't quit. And the no-quit attitude carried the day.

Wally beaking at Lulay again, for throwing it away. Lulay did not want the sack. He wanted to preserve FG range. Lulay beaked back, defending himself. Was this situation prepped or just blaming after the fact? If it is anticipated and prepped, they would be on the same page. They were not on the same page. Lulay does not know if Wally will go for the FG or punt it. They obviously did not discuss it. Throw it away.

:46 left. Huge play. 16 yard line. :16 left.

Peters with the pick. Williams cut one way. Reilly thought he was cutting the other. That close. And Peters read it just right. :thup: The Int was not an easy catch, although his athleticism made it look that way.

Foster :thup:

Lee :thup:

Rainey :thup:

Van :thup:

Lulay :thup:

Manny :thup:

Elliott :thup:

A Rose by any other name would still be a ball hawk. :thup:

Pretty good run stopping. Herdman :thup:

Sacks by Foster, Willis, Lemon. How do those acquisitions by Hervey look now? :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 pm
Lulay did a good job overall given how porous his O line and how anemic their run game tends to be as well as how it takes Mark W. to the half to change things up and get some pressure on Reilly.

Lulay and Wally when TL tossed it out of bounds late in the game got into it and Wally was wrong there. Just be safe.

Lulay was showing frustration earlier in the game as he went to the sidelines and I suspect it's a combination of players not stepping up to do their jobs.
Agree re Lulay.

Agree re Wally and Lulay.

Pass ''protection'' shameful. Reilly was ticked at his protection. Lulay should sue for non-support.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

maxlion
Legend

A strong performance for the defense for once. The secondary and defensive line really came through when it counted. After a slow start, they were dominant in the second half. 3 sacks and 4 turnovers.

A couple of coaching calls on both sides that will be second-guessed. The convert? I see the reasoning. A 9-pt lead is pretty attractive. Passing up the field goal in the last minute? Not sure about that one. I would go for the FG. Maas going for it on 3rd and 15 with over 2 minutes left? Gutsy, but unnecessary.

Not a purrfect performance, but a great game and a win against a western division team.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Wally was right to be upset with Lulay. Give up the sack and you can kill 20 seconds. Long would have still punted to the 10 yard line. There was 16 secs left when Reilly attempted a possible game tying TD.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally saying on TSN radio now that the fake FG was something they prepped for. Does that mean Wally thinks the Esks are a bad team as bad teams do trick plays lol??

I'd like to see a more innovative run game and schemes to give them some balance and also help that O Line with less predictability for passing. You can't rely on rolling out as Suitor says, it cuts the field in half.

Elliott dropping that ball in the end zone? Collins drops a pass at a key team. These dudes need to step it up.

Reilly had too much time in that entire first half and Washington needs to make changes in game - not wait til the 2nd half to pick it up.

The huge positive was how they came out strong in the second half on both sides of the ball. Shows it can be done. 3 wins at home should be a marketing ploy. I should have gone to the game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Woohoo we beat a team from Alberta.
A much much needed win for this franchise. Now win in Toronto next week and there actually could be some hype and buzz for the Riders visit in 2 weeks.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some stats ...

screengrab-1533879001016.png

maxlion
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Wally was right to be upset with Lulay. Give up the sack and you can kill 20 seconds. Long would have still punted to the 10 yard line. There was 16 secs left when Reilly attempted a possible game tying TD.
Good point. I was wondering what was going on with Wally there.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Heard Henry Burris on the call in to TSN 1040 with Don Taylor and another commentator and immediately it went to Manziel. Granted Burris gave a long answer and before long it was Taylor saying "Before we let you go" with little to nothing on the Lions other than Burris noting the Lions shooting themselves with penalties being not normal for a Buono team.

His last freaking idiot question was their question about running shoes . How do those idiots keep their job when it's so clear they can't wait to drop the Lions talk for any other subject.

It disgusts me how quickly they go from the CFL to talking running shoes from their childhood!!!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:40 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Good point. I was wondering what was going on with Wally there.
Lulay took far too many hits on the night and what was wanted? A hit and sack and possibly a fumble versus throw it in the stands!!!

As Henry Burris, a HOF QB said today, the FIRST thing you must learn as a QB in the CFL is when to throw it away versus try to make a play.

Lulay was on the field and he's a better judge as to why he did what he did.

Maybe Wally should get a punter who doesn't kick for singles and can directionally kick it out at the 5 yard line.
Huge Talent
Starter

Defense stepped up after a slow start - poor tackling particularly. Lulay looking better each week. Got the W, and that's what matters most when you're 2-4. Maas is a hot dog, and that will set them back. 3rd and 15 with 2 min left in the cfl down only 7?

Good job Leos! purrfect at home so far. Best of all, we have home games every 2 weeks now until the end. Let's take care of business in TO, setting up a massive home game against the green men.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally and the players are all saying on TSN that nothing was said to fire them up in the second half. They're all saying that it was focused on doing what was needed to make plays versus some fired up speech(es).

What was clear that the DC did make some changes to get more pressure on and it helped their secondary considerable. Jarius also got the pocket moving a bit and overall they stepped it up.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I have a post game comment. When the Lions secondary makes an interception, they remove the player's helmet and hold his arms behind him like he's being arrested. I assume it has a "thief" theme.

It's immature, it's bush league and it's going to get them penalized.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:50 pm
I have a post game comment. When the Lions secondary makes an interception, they remove the player's helmet and hold his arms behind him like he's being arrested. I assume it has a "thief" theme.

It's immature, it's bush league and it's going to get them penalized.
Missed that but I'm not a fan of these phony celebrations these days - especially when you're in a tight game.

Farhan was told by Washington that they saved the pressure they felt they could get on Reilly for the 2nd half. Not sure it wise to be waiting. Pressure on the QB is what keeps your DEF off the field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer