Johnny Manziel Offered 2 Year Contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:56 pm
Hamilton as a destination has never made much sense to me. They already have an excellent signal-caller in Jeremiah Masoli. IMO, he's going to take that 'next step' this year to the top echelon provided they can improve their receivers (not sold on Adams as their back-up though).

Montreal as a destination always seemed more likely. They need a potential #1 QB and some star power to get more fans to McGill. It would be better for Manziel too as he would have a legit chance to start. Not sure what the Als would have to give Hamilton though to get him.

DH :cool:
Montreal may seem like a better destination but thanks to the CFL's archaic neg list process Manziel's only option is Hamilton unless Hamilton decides to move his rights. As for Masoli he looked good last year but it might be a bit early to declare him Hamilton's sure fire man for the next few years. Originally with the Eskimos for a year he is now entering his 7th CFL season. I recall listening to an Edmonton sports radio station while driving through Edmonton around training camp time in 2012. At the time they were talking about how impressive both Matt Nichols and newcomer Masoli had been. Masoli's career totals (27GP 512C 791A 6325yds 33TD 20INT) over his 5 years in Hamilton are similar to what Jennings put up in 2015-16 in BC (26GP 513C 769A 7230yds 42TD 25INT). Who predicted Jennings struggles last year after his first year and a half as starter in BC? Masoli still needs to prove himself IMO by showing his half season in 2017 will be repeated and hopefully improved upon. Turning 30 in August though how much more upside, if any, is there? Regardless QB is no different than any other position. Teams should always be looking for their next one no matter who the incumbent is. June Jones seems to be very high on Manziel's potential. It would behoove them to dismiss Manzeil outright and declare themselves "set" at QB with Masoli.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

My understanding on Manziel and his ties to Hamilton's Neg list, is that once he declares himself to the CFL, Hamilton has a two week window to commit to him. If they don't firm up a contract he is eligible to become a FA.

Since the timeframe went by I think ant CFL team can sign him. So he may have soured on the money in the CFL and may be trying a last ditch effort with an NFL club.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:46 pm
My understanding on Manziel and his ties to Hamilton's Neg list, is that once he declares himself to the CFL, Hamilton has a two week window to commit to him. If they don't firm up a contract he is eligible to become a FA.

Since the timeframe went by I think ant CFL team can sign him. So he may have soured on the money in the CFL and may be trying a last ditch effort with an NFL club.
From the official league statement when Ambrosie gave the thumbs up and cleared Manziel typical neg list rules kicked in. Hamilton had 10 days to trade his rights or make a "reasonable" offer to retain his rights. That ruling and statement came down Dec 28 and they had until Jan 7th. By all accounts Hamilton lived up to their end by offering him the mandatory 2 years at $150K. Hamilton will retain his negotiating rights I believe until Jan 7 2019 as a result.

I think he was smart to participate in the Spring Fling to see if something shakes out NFL-wise. He had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing so given CFL camps were 5 months and he could only negotiate with 1 team.
Dusty
Champion

3DownNation is reporting that Manzel is going to sign a 2 year contract with the TiCats. Apparently he is somewhere close to the US-Canada border knocking on the door trying to enter Canada..... Ummm.... is a contract signed, does he even have a passport..... like does he not understand that crossing an international border is different than crossing between states???.... apparently he has a deal with a US sports site to do "Comeback" podcasts.... wonder how long that will last.... still a gong show....
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:22 am
3DownNation is reporting that Manzel is going to sign a 2 year contract with the TiCats. Apparently he is somewhere close to the US-Canada border knocking on the door trying to enter Canada..... Ummm.... is a contract signed, does he even have a passport..... like does he not understand that crossing an international border is different than crossing between states???.... apparently he has a deal with a US sports site to do "Comeback" podcasts.... wonder how long that will last.... still a gong show....
Do you really think Manziel has restricted his travels to the US and never ventured outside its borders? This time last year he was down in Tuluum Mexico. He didn't get there without a passport. He also was known to have spent time in Toronto meeting Drake a few years ago. Only way he doesn't have one is if he let it expire.............or the US judicial system confiscated it so he couldn't flee the country. :wink:
Dusty
Champion

Yup, he must have a passport, as TSN is reporting that he is in Hamilton for a physical and contract signing if he passes. I would expect that he would be in reasonably good shape since he had some training for that "league" in Tx so it appears that all the ducks are lining up in a row.

Be prepared for the "Johnny Watch" media circus to gear up.... It will be interesting to see how Hamilton handles the circus and gets on with the normal training camp business.... and how Masoli handles the media shine being placed on Manzell as TC unfolds...
South Pender
Legend

This story from Bleacher Report on Johnny Football's signing with the Ticats:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2623 ... =editorial

Hard to know what to expect from Johnny. His skill set is compatible with the CFL. I hope he's left the off-field stuff behind and plays up to his talent level.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I have doubts about Manziel and the TiCats having a happy ending.

So many ways this can go wrong. Masoli shuffled aside. Manziel and the night life. Some success and, ''Thank you very much, I'm off to the NFL, which is where I really want to be.''

Jones and Tillman have shown strong interest in Manziel. This CFL fan does not think Manziel will be good for the league.

He might play well. But to me that is no certainty. And then there are all the potential side issues. For me thIs is like watching a slow motion crash. One feels the crash is coming.

Just IMO. I know some fans want to see him play here.
Johnny Manziel Signs Hamilton Tiger-Cats Contract as He Pursues NFL Comeback
''Pursues NFL Comeback"

https://mobile.twitter.com/comebackszns ... l-comeback

''It's definitely not the NFL, but ... There have been guys who have gone up there and come back.''

Oh, thanks for trying to use us as a stepping stone. Not here for a long time but a good time. :wink:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

There have been many Heisman quarterbacks who gave the CFL a shot and were unsuccessful. Andre Ware, Eric Crouch, and Troy Smith couldn't get it done. Other star U.S. college quarterbacks, some with NFL experience, also struggled.

Even Doug Flutie struggled in his first season as a Leo, throwing more interceptions than touchdowns, only completing 53% of his passes.

The CFL quarterback position is no easy assignment. Reading defenses with 12 players, rather than 11 defenders, adds a lot of complexity.

Even if Manziel is on his best behavior in Hamilton, the odds are that he will have his struggles in his first year and perhaps won't achieve success at all.

The CFL game suits Manziel's playing style. But it Manziel thinks that he will be able to come right in, after a short training camp, and start and be a star quickly, he will sadly be mistaken.

It will be interesting to see how this works out.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Ticats have confirmed Manzeil's signing but haven't said where he'll fit on the depth chart.
HAMILTON – The Hamilton Tiger-Cats confirmed Saturday they have signed quarterback Johnny Manziel.

The news was first revealed hours earlier, when Manziel took to Twitter to reveal he’s signed a contract with the club.

“We’re excited to add Johnny Manziel to our roster, particularly getting it done now so that Johnny can join his new teammates and the coaching staff for a full training camp,” said June Jones, Head Coach of the Tiger-Cats. “We feel like we’ve got an excellent group of quarterbacks, and the addition of Johnny only improves our football team in our pursuit of the ultimate goal, which is to win a Grey Cup Championship.”
Manziel is expected to suit up for the first time as a Ticat on Sunday, when CFL teams across the country report for the opening day of training camp. How Manziel fits onto the depth chart, with more experienced pivots in Vernon Adams Jr. and Jeremiah Masoli already on the roster, remains to be seen.
OFFICIAL: TICATS CONFIRM JOHNNY MANZIEL SIGNING
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie is also on board with the signing, provided Manziel continues to meet the league's conditions.

CFL commish Ambrosie statement on Johnny Manziel
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

3D Nation posted a video press conference in which June Jones stated that Mazoli is the starter and Manziel stated that he has spoken to Flutie and others and so he knows there is some learning to do.
maxlion
Legend

I predict a difficult season for Hamilton.

Masoli hasn't shown yet that he can be a top notch starting qb for a full season. Unless he can start strong and win some games, a qb controversy is inevitable. However, I have zero confidence in their DC, and not much more in the head coach, so do not expect much team success. Manziel has neither the ability nor the character to play the saviour.

Things may get messy quickly in Steeltown!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Maxlion said:

I predict a difficult season for Hamilton.

Masoli hasn't shown yet that he can be a top notch starting qb for a full season. Unless he can start strong and win some games, a qb controversy is inevitable. However, I have zero confidence in their DC, and not much more in the head coach, so do not expect much team success. Manziel has neither the ability nor the character to play the saviour.

Things may get messy quickly in Steeltown!

I disagree. June Jones turned Hamilton around last year and likely would have made the playoffs if they did not get off to such a bad start. Masoli played well last year and didn't they just get back Orlando S. He may not be the DC yet, but I have more faith in him than Mark W. Masoli to me played way better than Jennings last year. Right now, I would predict Tiger Cats to finish ahead of the Lions. Most of the sports writers and others like Henry Burris rate Jennings near of the bottom of the starting QBs.

As far as Manziel, I agree about his character, but disagree with you about his ability. The guy won the Heisman trophy. He has the ability, but does he have the time and patience to be successful here?
maxlion
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:01 pm
June Jones turned Hamilton around last year and likely would have made the playoffs if they did not get off to such a bad start.
I was initially impressed by June Jones. Then he tried to bring in Art Briles. Then he declared that Manziel could be the best player to ever play in the CFL. Then he hired Jerry Glanville as his DC. Now I am highly skeptical about June Jones!
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Masoli to me played way better than Jennings last year.
I agree and hope that he is the real deal. But he has to prove it first.
JohnnyMusso wrote:
He has the ability, but does he have the time and patience to be successful here?
Exactly. He has the ability to potentially be successful over the long term, but not the ability to come in and carry the team on his back anytime in the near future.

I will predict the Hamilton will finish last in the league this year.