Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:33 pm
Interesting piece on the Leos' new GM in this CTV News feature.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1336 ... tPageNum=1

A rather ominous warning from Ed, I thought:
Do not come in believing that because you are a star in the community program, that you are going to be seen the same when it comes to what we put on the field.

DH :cool:
As noted by a few, keeping Wally as HC for 1 more year was a smart move.

It may not bring strong results, but it allows a grace period for Hervey. It allows a clean sweep of the coaching staff if results are poor. And it allows Ed to build this year with fan expectations not rampant.

How will results be? Same HC. Same DC. Same OL coach. Not sure we can expect a contender, especially as the DC's playbook and play calling will probably be same old, same old. Same results as usual with the OL coach, it seems to me. And I would expect a familiar approach by Wally, a conservative, predictable approach to the game, focusing on execution over detailed, fresh game planning.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Since his arrival in BC - based on his public comments - it seems he's maturing or if not - keeping comments that don't help to himself as professionals do.

How the Esks fired him was handled badly and unprofessionally but he was also arrogant and wouldn't listen.

What I would have preferred in this hiring as GM was to have Wally remain as the VP and his boss and allow Hervey to hire his own coach.

Now was this too little too late in that his hiring came to late to land a quality coach? I'm not sure but that clearly should have been the first choice rather than leave him forced to say WB was his first choice.

I am nearly alone in believing that Mike Benevides lack of success in BC had little to do with Wally Buono not letting go but conventional wisdom of fans and media alike was that this was the reality. If this is true, then the current HC reporting to the GM who reports to the HC in his role as VP, Football Operations is bizarre in the extreme.

But let's face it - as Wally said himself - he was basically here alone with the President and owner pretty much absent last season. Horrible pressure.

This current arrangement with Ed H as GM really is basically Ed Hervey talent scout as a GM can't put his mark on the organization without choosing a HC and this fan is not sure, Ed H had any choice but to suck it up and say Wally's my guy.

Wally has much to teach Ed H on how this league works and how to deal with other team GMs (you don't hear Wally bad mouthing others ever) and how to handle an owner and boss and not get fired for how you respond.
I'd have liked to see Wally in that role and also President as he is not afraid of the media and he's a decent communicator in those senior roles. Give him those two jobs and a marketing person/strategy, and EH hiring a HC would be a better path to success this year.

Not saying the season is lost - as it's not - just that it would have been my preferred option IF Ed H could have landed a quality (not default) Head Coach.

The other team with a crazy staff set up is Hamilton with Orlando S as Asst HC and Jerry Glanville DC and NO designated Special Teams Coordinator in name - just Craig Butler recently retired in some sort of STs role. Can you say 'too many men on the field' calls?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:49 pm
The other team with a crazy staff set up is Hamilton with Orlando S as Asst HC and Jerry Glanville DC and NO designated Special Teams Coordinator in name - just Craig Butler recently retired in some sort of STs role. Can you say 'too many men on the field' calls?
The Hamilton situation is bizarre from the front office to the football operations and coaching staff. Look at the senior titles:

B.C.

David Braley, Owner, Chairman, CFL Governor
Dennis Skulsky, Vice Chairman, CFL Governor
Rick LeLacheur, President
Wally Buono, Vice President, Football Ops, Head Coach & Alt Governor
George Chayka, Vice President, Business
Ed Hervey, General Manager

HAMILTON

Bob Young, Caretaker
Scott Mitchell, Chief Executive Officer
Doug Rye, Executive Vice President
Matt Afinec, Executive Vice President, Business Operations
Glenn Gibson, Vice Chairman
Shaun Guest, Vice President, Sales & Revenue
Kent Austin, Vice President, Football Operations
Darcy Raymond, Vice President, Marketing & Communications
Dan Deighton, Vice President, Finance & Administration
Eric Tillman, General Manager
Drew Allemang, Assistant General Manager and Director of Canadian Scouting
Shawn Burke, Assistant General Manager and Director of Football Operations

It may just be semantics, but the Ticats have a lot more people with senior titles, including three people (Austin, Tillman and Jones) heading their football operations and coaching staff and two assistent GMs, whereas the Lions have two (Hervey and Buono) and no assistant GMs but three directors reporting to Hervey.

And while both teams have 9 assistant coaches, the Ticats don't have an offensive coordinator (Jones handles that in addition to head coach) or a special teams coordinator. And Orlondo Steinauer, whose expertise is as a defensive coach, is assistant head coach without any coordinator duties. It just seems odd.
David
Team Captain

Interview with Jarious this morning. Odd that he didn't know that they released QB Mitchell Gale (maybe because he's currently in Mexico?). Says we're going to be a balanced offence to attack defences different ways. Likes the pieces we have. Hasn't met with JJ yet but plans to sit down and explain the offence and terminology next month. Happy to have Ricky Collins on the team (knows what he can do / explosive).

http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-7788?smc=10 (it's less than 5 minutes in).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 pm
Interview with Jarious this morning. Odd that he didn't know that they released QB Mitchell Gale (maybe because he's currently in Mexico?). Says we're going to be a balanced offence to attack defences different ways. Likes the pieces we have. Hasn't met with JJ yet but plans to sit down and explain the offence and terminology next month. Happy to have Ricky Collins on the team (knows what he can do / explosive).

Nice to hear Jackson mention, not once but 3 or 4 times that he wants to move the pocket around and also have Jennings take off and run if need be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'll believe it when I actually see it. Will Wally actually allow Jackson do what he plans to do. Only time will tell.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'll believe it when I actually see it. Will Wally actually allow Jackson do what he plans to do. Only time will tell.
Dusty
Champion

I think the bigger risk (than Wally) to Jackson's approach is if Dorazio allows him to do what he plans to do....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:09 pm
David wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Nice to hear Jackson mention, not once but 3 or 4 times that he wants to move the pocket around and also have Jennings take off and run if need be.
This seems like such an obviously good thing to do, move the pocket around, and allow JJ10 to improvise. Who would have thunk it? D'oh ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.