Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Josh Johnson, released by the Jacksonville Jaguars, has signed with the Redblacks. Given that he'd played two years at nickel here in BC that Hervey would have gone hard after him.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:52 pm
Josh Johnson, released by the Jacksonville Jaguars, has signed with the Redblacks. Given that he'd played two years at nickel here in BC that Hervey would have gone hard after him.

Maybe Ed prefers Foster who played nickel for him in Edmonton?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A lot of Lion DBs are not returning as part of the 2018 team. Is this a sort of statement about the DC and former DB, Mark Washington or is it just a coincidence?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 pm
A lot of Lion DBs are not returning as part of the 2018 team. Is this a sort of statement about the DC and former DB, Mark Washington or is it just a coincidence?
A good pass rush makes for good coverage in the secondary. Conversely good coverage can make for a better looking pass rush hence the term "coverage sack". BC's pass rush didn't buy the secondary much time and the secondary rarely bought the rush extra time. Too many breakdowns in the secondary where receivers were wide open behind coverage with DBS looking at each other like WTF to all be blamed on lack of rush, scheme or coaching. Personnel was also a factor.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 pm
Delvin Breaux would a quality pickup for a somewhat decimated secondary.

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/16/forme ... -contract/
Qman
Champion

Qman wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:00 pm
David wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:40 pm
Wow. I just noticed that we have 12 O-linemen on the roster. :shock: This even without Fabian, Jones, and Dhillon who weren't retained. We also have 6 quarterbacks. :shock:

Of course, some of these guys won't make it past the OTAs to the main camp in Kamloops, but an interesting development nonetheless.

I'll pretty sure Dhillon will be back. Although still a UFA, he's on the community stops they are doing in the offseason. Something hasn't been announced but probably has been agreed too.
not that its material b/c he's our 8th/9th OL on depth chart.
check that .... Dhillon wasn't resigned .. i guess they want to get younger with their cdn depth at G,C,G ... i assume we will take a OL with one of out picks in top 15 (3 & 12)

saw that he is starting a career as a police officer.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:44 am
Qman wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:00 pm
David wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:40 pm
Wow. I just noticed that we have 12 O-linemen on the roster. :shock: This even without Fabian, Jones, and Dhillon who weren't retained. We also have 6 quarterbacks. :shock:

Of course, some of these guys won't make it past the OTAs to the main camp in Kamloops, but an interesting development nonetheless.

I'll pretty sure Dhillon will be back. Although still a UFA, he's on the community stops they are doing in the offseason. Something hasn't been announced but probably has been agreed too.
not that its material b/c he's our 8th/9th OL on depth chart.
check that .... Dhillon wasn't resigned .. i guess they want to get younger with their cdn depth at G,C,G ... i assume we will take a OL with one of out picks in top 15 (3 & 12)

saw that he is starting a career as a police officer.
I would have been extremely surprised if Dhillon returned. He was primarily Husband's backup. If the fact Vaillancourt filled that role with a start while also playing some in other games Husband started there wasn't need to retain him. Tack on the FA signing of Greaves who has started at G quite a bit through his career. Unless they start a NAT at RT they are in pretty good shape for the interior of the OL with vets in Steward, Husband, Vaillancourt, Greaves and Foucault. They also have 22 year old SFU product Felix Gacusana who got into 4 games after being released by Calgary who drafted him in 2017. No doubt another OL or two will be added in the draft.
David
Team Captain

Yet another ex-Eskimo added to the training camp roster. This time it's Marcell Young, the 7-year vet who will compete in the defensive backfield. Kourtnie Brown (2 games in 2017) has been released.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/11/lions-add ... ell-young/

We've got so many Eskimos on our defence now, the unit should be called "West Edmonton Maul." :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

Richie Leone signed a one year contract with the RedBlacks.

And yet one more Eskimo alum touches down in Vancouver. Someone must be really pushing the “go west, young man” meme.

Who will be the next former Esk to sign, Randy Ambrosie? Hervey does know he is allowed to look east of Lloydminster for available talent?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

well, it looks to me like Edmonton has won the 2nd most games in the last 4 seasons and Huffnagel refuses to part with his guys. Whats a guy to do
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Any truth to the rumour that the Lions will change their colours to green and yellow ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:29 pm
Richie Leone signed a one year contract with the RedBlacks.

Good for Richie. I was starting to wonder why he hadn't resurfaced somewhere in the CFL. Got to know him a bit early in 2016 when he was the feature Lion at Jimmy's Pub for their post game event. Talked to him again at the Lions Den during that year's Grey Cup in Toronto and at BMO during the game. Comes across as a real nice guy; quite affable, easy going and engaging.