Leos Early Season Success Entering the First Bye Week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our B.C. Lions are 3-1 as they enter their first bye week of the schedule. They have defeated Calgary, Hamilton, and Saskatchewan, winning two road games and splitting their two home contests. We enter this bye week in 1st place in the West. Edmonton has a game in hand and therefore has the opportunity to tie us for first place.

What have been the keys to our Leos early success?

1. THE BUONO FACTOR

While many of the Lion's faithful welcomed the return of Buono to the sidelines, either feeling nostalgic about Buono's early success here from 2003-2007 or believing that we needed his leadership, others wondered whether the move would result in success. Buono's Leos had been on a downhill slide from 2008-2010, had missed the playoffs in 2010, and had stuggled in the playoffs since their 2006 Grey Cup season. The 2011 season had also started miserably before we acquired Arland Bruce, inserted Andrew Harris, and then rolled into a winning streak that culminated in our 2011 Grey Cup victory. It was considered a wise move for Buono to retire on top in 2011.

Many fans and media had been calling for Buono to step down as HC in the 2010 season. Our Leos started off very successfully under Mike Benevedes but continued to worsen over his three year reign. In our last two regular season games under Benevedes we lost by a total score of 70-19 before being embarrassed by Montreal 50-17 in the playoffs and Wally had little choice than to fire "Little Wally".

The excitement over the hiring of Jeff Tedford would slowly turn to ashes. Reunited with George Cortez, the offence struggled for most of the season while the defense badly stuggled agains the run. Tedford went against Wallys' wishes and went with three import offensive lineman, including an import center. Tedford's concept of a tight end offence was nullified as Cortez used his two big tight ends as slot backs in a spread offence. Tedford packed it up and Buono, who had obviously had difficulty keeping a certain distance from coaching, returned to the sidelines.

How much of our Leos early season success can be attributed to the Buono factor? It certainly appears to have been important so far.How much of the Buono factor has been due to his dual GM/Head Coach role? How much has been due to his previous record of success and stature? How much has been due to his setting of expectation? How much has been due to the changes that Wally has made in terms of his approach to success? Buono's stepping away from the sidelines seems to also have provided perspective.

2. PERSONNEL

Those who closely watched our Leos last season could see the potential. It was a young team that had lots of talent. Offensively, we had a potential star in Jonathan Jennings. We had a top tier receiver in Manny Arsenault. We had a stud offensive lineman in Steward and a perennial all-star in Olifoye. Defensively we could see the oozing of talent in Brooks, the vast improvement comng from defensive lineman Alex Bazzie, Westerman, David Menard, Max Forde and linebacker Bo Lokumbo. We had all-star linebackers in Eliminian and Bighill. Veteran Ryan Phillips was surrounded by young talent in T.J. Lee and Ronnie Yell. Chris Rainey had rejuvenated our punt return game.

The core of talent was in place to begin this season and with additional experience they have stepped up.

3. FREE AGENTS

While there was a core of mostly young talent in place to begin this season there were also holes that needed to be filled. Buono's record of getting free agents to want to come to B.C. had been dismal. At one time he was not very interested in free agents. Then, when he was, he struggled to get them to want to sign here. Not this season! This has been the best off-season for signing free agents in the Buono era. They were also very targeted signings.

Key free agent signings included Mike Edem, to shore up our free safety position. It had been an area of weakness since Barrin Miles retired. Brandon Steward brought size and experience to the field corner position. Bryant Turner Jr. added depth. Buono had decided that Andrew Harris was too expensive and too much of a distraction and signed Jeremiah Johnson and Anthony Allen to the tailback position. He signed Tim O'Neil to become our center and now has an experienced backup center and guard for depth. Perhaps Buono's key signing has yet to bear fruition. His signing of big right tackle Levy Adcock will add a lot of size to our offensive line when he finally plays. The addition of receiver Moore added import experience and a smooth receiver to our receiving crew.

4. NEW PERSONELL AND THE DRAFT

Each season a team needs to bring in some key imports who are an upgrade. Louchez Purifoy has been a very welcome addition to the nickel back spot. His aggressiveness and athleticism have really helped our defense. Johnson, replacing the injured Levy Adcock has made mistakes and had too many procdure penalties but he has stepped in as a rookie and done a decent job or pass protection and run blocking.

Most impressive has been that first round draft choice Charles Vaillancourt was able to step into a starting lineman's position and add size and aggressiveness to our offensive line. Kirby Fabian, who provides depth behind Vaillancourt is a very solid offensive lineman replacing him due to injury.

Draft choices, big defensive back An (thony Thompson and fullback Nate O'Halloran made the 46 man roster and Brett Blazsco works to improve his game on the practice roster.

However, the only new starters on this 2016 Leos team, from the 2015 Tedford season are:

OFFENCE: Cody Husband (Center) Johnson, Antonio Johnson (Right Tackle) Jeremiah Johnson or Anthony Allen (Tailback) and Nick Moore (slot back)

DEFENCE: Mike Edem (Safety), Brandon Stewart (Corner) and Louchez Purifoy (Nickel).

5. DEPLOYMENT OF PERSONNEL

Key changes this season are how we have deployed our personell on the offensive and defensive lines. Buono wanted our offensive line to get bigger and more aggressive. That meant key changes on our offensive line. The first key change was not only going back to a National center but also starting Cody Husband, O'Neil was relegated to back up centre, backup left guard, and power formations. A second key change was to move Steward to left guard. Thirdly, we decided to move Olofoye to left tackle, in part to accomodage the signing of right guard Levy Adcock to make our offensive line bigger and stronger.

So far, even though Adcock has been on the 6 game injury list, our offensive line has opened holes to enable our Leos team to lead the CFL in rushing and have done a decent job of pass protection.

The second area in which we are deploying our personell differently is on the defensive line. For strange reasons (and Buono's insistence) we moved Westerman to defensive end last season and Craig Roh to defensive tackle. Those changes were actually made in the final third of last season but we have stayed with them from the start of training camp and its really helped get increased pressure.

ASSISTANT COACHING

The return of Mark Washington as our DC, the promotion of Khari Jones to our OC, after being jettisoned as our OC in his one season in the position in 2014, and the rehiring of Dan Dorazio, who had a spotty record as our offensive line coach, were not inspiring choices for many Leo fans in the off-season.

However, Dorazio has coached an offensive line while dealing with a lot of changes....Olifoye to left tackle, Steward to left guard, Husband as a new starting center, and coaching rookies Vaillancourt and Johnso n at right guard and right tackle. The offensive line has dominated the fourth quarter of play in games, anchored a very solid running game so far, and mostly done a decent job of protecting Jennings after the first half of our first game.

Mark Washington's defense has held us in many games until our offence got rolling, is tied for the lead in least points against for teams that have played four games, and is second in quarterback sacks. Other than a bad half against the run vs. Toronto and a bad first half against Regina, they have played very well. Perhaps the biggest differences, this season for our defense has been better play against the run (except for the second half of the Toronto game) and more effective blitzing from a lot of three man and four man defensive fronts.

Khari Jones, as OC, has led our offence to put up the second most points in the league so far while leading the league in rushing. We're fourth in passing. The blemishes so far with our offence have been too many long stretches where our offence has struggled and a passing attack that has the lowest completion rate in the CFL. Jones has shown the ability to adapt and not be an exclusive spread coordinator and has used tight end and two back sets to add formational variety.

SUMMARY

No question that all the above have been factors in our early 2016 season success. The question that I am wondering about is what one or two have been the most important factors, as Lionbackers see it. Has the Buono factor been most important or has it been the stepping up of our young talent? How much of a factor has Jonathan Jennings been to our Leos team as a starter from the opening gate? Have our free agent signings been the key and the new players we recruited in the off-season or selected in the draft? Have the changes we've deployed on our offensive and defensive lines, along with our new tailbacks been the most instrumental? Or has it been the improved coaching from Jones/Bellefeuille/Dorazio on offence and Mark Washington on defence that have been so far?

What are the one or two key difference makers that have resulted in our early season success?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

I would agree Blitz with your post . I certainly do credit our co-ordinaters as well as the other points you make . The Wally is there , no doubt about it . But MW and KJ have to be given credit for their work . While there are stretches where we may think they are not doing well , that happens to all teams . The main thing , they have adjusted and continue to do so . Both guys are young up and coming coaches with a future ahead of them. MW's defence looked better than Chris Jones' IMO . It was The Jones defence that gave up the big plays . MW mixed it up, Jones did not, he lived , then died by the blitz.
Of course our players have been a big factor ,and these things are the reason why some of us in the pre-season questioned the negativity of some in the prediction threads . Some pegged BC in last place while putting the Riders way up for what reason? A hunch? Really ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good post and discussion, Blitz.

Wally gets big credit. He is a rock in terms of paying the price, paying attention to detail and work ethic.

While he has been hard nosed in making personnel decisions over his career, the man has much humanity. The players have bought in.

He has allowed MW to go with more aggressive schemes, planning and play calling. MW's guys are ferocious. A huge credit to him.

Khari has vast experience, albeit little enough as OC. One thinks he can be creative. If JJ is comfortable, our O can be lights out.

Dan D has done great work with the hogs. They know what they are doing.

Personnel very good. DL too small? We will see.

Additions help immensely. Edem. Stewart. Husband. Vaillancourt. Moore. JJ24. Allen. Purifoy. Other drafts.

Much depends on JJ. Goes with the territory. He handles everything well. Superb talent. Great credit to Lulay as the ultimate team player and mentor.

Many deserve huge credit. Leaders such as Biggie, Solly, Jovan, Travis, Manny, Ryan, Jason Arakgi.

Wally, the old fox, has adapted. When one hears that he reached out to the cerebral Marc Trestman, that speaks volumes.

:thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
prj
Starter

A very nice summary of the reasons why this team is improved. If pressed to pick only one of the items Blitz has produced, I would have to go with Wally's return.

My reason involves a factor Blitz didn't emphasize: focus and calmness under pressure. This team is quite different from last year, despite many common players. Last year, I had the impression some of them were going through the motions, that they were flat at one moment and unduly un-calm the next. Now, they look focussed. Is it maturity? Maybe. But I give this credit to Wally. His great teams of the past always had this characteristic.

There are all kinds of reasons why this team is improved. But foremost is the wily old fox.
yukonlion
All Star

with the exception of the toronto game, the 4th quarter effort has been stellar. considering how many games we lost in the fourth last year. tribute to both conditioning and coaching i think. still too many penalties but i feel wally will deall with that.
Alputt
Champion

I saw Nick Moore has a bad X-ray or scan or whatever, and likely hurt himself for a couple games at least on his TD celebration? Any truth to this?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The return of the "New Wally" and the tough, aggressive, demanding culture that he brings with him is big. Wally had probably the best off season in the history of the Lions and in addition to the moves that have already been mentioned Wally re-signed 2 key guys in Lulay and Manny as well as others prior to the start of Free Agency.

With the way Washington has got the D playing it is starting to look like MW is becoming the OC that Wally said he would be when he let Stubler go and promoted MW to DC.

On Offense, I am hoping that K. Jones learned some things from Cortez last season. I have never been a fan of Cortez's personality or play calling but he is very knowledgeable and has a ton of experience.

I think it was LU that reported that at practices Wally is letting MW and Jones run their units while Wally is getting more involved with Special Teams. Makes sense as I believe the Lions have a rookie STC who previously was Rienbold's assistant STC in Hamilton. :thup: :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buono's return has brought accountability. Players are accountable for their actions. Nowhere is this more evident than on the special teams. Last year, there were flags on practically every play. This year players are much more disciplined.

Washington is finally getting his opportunity to run his aggressive defence that was promised when he signed on as Defensive Coordinator.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

Alputt wrote:I saw Nick Moore has a bad X-ray or scan or whatever, and likely hurt himself for a couple games at least on his TD celebration? Any truth to this?
TSN1040 show tonight reported he may be lost for the season.
caobax
Rookie

OnStar no longer works, please use the club to lock the steering. We need to start running more screens in order to increase our qb throwing efficiency rating. Every time teams in the cfl run screens, we notice that its either intercepted or deflected. Each tackle ought to understand that the vaccum is no longer pulling the defensive ends inside. Clubbing the defensive end with your forearm ought to make the defensive end take an inside release.

™note: using 1040 radio and ESPN live broadcast during our home games increases the Bose. Remember to mute the tvs volume. Do turn up the radio volume and do turn on the TV for remarkable cc and picture quality.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great discussion. My top 3 reasons for the Lions' improved record this year are:

1. The Wally factor. Jovan Olafioye said in the offseason that he would run through a wall for Wally. That showed what many veterans seemed to think about the lack of direction and clarity that has plagued the team in recent years. I've said in other threads that the team believes in Wally and in themselves. They seem to be a cohesive group that loves to play for each other. They have overcome adversity and come from behind in two of their three victories. Of the 102 points they've scored, 47 have come in the fourth quarter. That's a sign of a strong, well-coached team.

2. Defence wins championships. The B.C. defence was already strong. This year, it has been even stronger, thanks to the return from injury of Solomon Elimimian, the addition of Mike Edem, Brandon Stewart and Loucheiz Purifoy, and the maturation of many of the young defensive backs and linemen who have been added to the starting lineup in recent years. It's difficult for opponents to score on this unit unless the Lions hurt themselves with turnovers and penalties. The B.C. defence has given up a league-best average of 18.3 points per game, and leads the league in many other statistical categories. In the Saskatchewan game, 17 of the Rider points came on drives that were extended by major fouls against Mic'hael Brooks, including one TD drive that began with a B.C. fumble. Another 3 Rider points came as a result a turnover. The Riders scored only 2 field goals and a single on their own.

3. Offensive line overhaul. I was skeptical when the Lions shuffled new starters into every position on the offensive line this year and handed the unit to Dan Dorazio, who has been known to confuse young linemen with his blocking schemes. I was even more skeptical when I asked one of the starters about the changes at training camp and he replied, "I think they're just trying to go with the biggest O-line possible." Well, kudos to Wally and Dorazio. The experiment has worked. The Lions lead the league in rushing and they've been able to pound the ball down the throats of opponents when everyone knows what's coming. Jeremiah Johnson and Anthony Allen are stronger runners than the departed Andrew Harris and seem better able to pick up yards after contact. And despite their inexperience as a unit and injuries to two starters, they're done a respectable job of protecting the quarterback. They provide a solid foundation for an offence that doesn't have to blow people out of the water. It just has to be efficient and take advantage of its opportunities. The Lions rank second on the league in red-zone scoring percentage, and that's due in large part to the play of the offensive line.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I am going to repeat in part some of what has already been mentioned but with a bit of a difference here and there.

Defense - In my opinion, I am crediting much of our improvement with improvement on the D-Line. I think our pressures are way up from where they were last year and improvements at DT have made it much harder to open holes for opposition running games. Coupled with judicious blitzing from other positions and the time that opposing QB's have has gone from the "read a newspaper variety" to "maybe glance at a headline".

Special Teams have been much better for the most part. Especially on the kick cover teams. There have been a lot of outstanding contains on returners and have made a few of the perennially dangerous ones look like mere mortals. I'm not sure if that has more to do with the cover personnel or the kicking style of Leone (probably both) but it seems that oppositions are starting out with much worse field position more often than in the last few seasons. As well, Rainey who looked average in the pre-season now looks to be as dangerous as they get. More important than breaking the big one, has been his consistent ability to take fair or poor field positions and make them something much easier to work with. It is always much easier to win a game when you can
A. make your opponents start out in poor field position and
B. start your drives with good field position.

Both of those things have happened this season.

I will add my kudos to the OLine as well. They have controlled the LOS much more than in previous seasons which has made it easier to chew up the clock and keep the ball out of the opponents hands.

Even our loss to Toronto could have been a win. We killed ourselves as much as Toronto did.

We are still a young team and need to add consistency but we feel like we are on the right path for the first time in many seasons. Going up the hill rather than sliding down it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote: 3. Offensive line overhaul. I was skeptical when the Lions shuffled new starters into every position on the offensive line this year and handed the unit to Dan Dorazio, who has been known to confuse young linemen with his blocking schemes. I was even more skeptical when I asked one of the starters about the changes at training camp and he replied, "I think they're just trying to go with the biggest O-line possible." Well, kudos to Wally and Dorazio. The experiment has worked. The Lions lead the league in rushing and they've been able to pound the ball down the throats of opponents when everyone knows what's coming. Jeremiah Johnson and Anthony Allen are stronger runners than the departed Andrew Harris and seem better able to pick up yards after contact. And despite their inexperience as a unit and injuries to two starters, they're done a respectable job of protecting the quarterback. They provide a solid foundation for an offence that doesn't have to blow people out of the water. It just has to be efficient and take advantage of its opportunities. The Lions rank second on the league in red-zone scoring percentage, and that's due in large part to the play of the offensive line.
Great read Blitz. I echo BC FAN's thoughts on the offensive line. Starting three internationals last year was almost embarrassing. Not only does Dorazio have this unit playing well but the Lions have changed the ratio significantly, allowing internationals to play elsewhere. Wally also recognized the need to be more physical with an emphasis on size, even more so than pencilling in players at their regular positions.
. Unsung hero has to be the work of Antiono Johnson, stepping in at tackle for Adcock and not looking out of place at all. Husband's work at centre has been most impressive. Having Steward finally healthy is huge and Valliencourt is one of the best raw national rookies out of the draft since the days of Jason Clermont. This group has become one of the team's strength with loads of upside given the age of Husband (28), Steward (24), Johnson (24) and Valliencourt (23). Even Olafioye is just 28.

The bye comes at an interesting time and can't say enough just how big of win that was in Regina last week to show the Lions are ready to keep pace with Calgary and Edmonton rather than Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. Looks like Lions will need to find two new starters for perhaps the balance of the season, certainly for Lee and maybe Moore too. Thanks goodness for Burnham's continued emergence. Boldewijn can step into Moore's spot and not be heavily relied upon. Clarke at least has experience to step into the secondary.

Fabian has done a nice job but prefer to see Valliencourt back as a starter. Wonder if this is the time we see Adcock too although he may need at least a couple of weeks of reps in practice to get up to game speed.
CardiacKid
Legend

Fred.Fonce wrote:
Alputt wrote:I saw Nick Moore has a bad X-ray or scan or whatever, and likely hurt himself for a couple games at least on his TD celebration? Any truth to this?
TSN1040 show tonight reported he may be lost for the season.
Wally has said he is not expecting good news. Bloody stupid bumps...it was only a matter of time before someone on the Leo's shredded a knee. Time to mandate a less risky style of celebration on the team? My heart goes out to Moore but Jesus H. Christ...why not run with scissors while you are at it?

The upside is we get to see Boldewijn play...
Blitz
Team Captain

Great to read the insights of Lionbackers regarding your key factors for our early 2016 season success.

While there have been many factors that have lead to our excellent start to this season these are my key factors.

1. THE BUONO FACTOR

Die hard Leo fans could see that the 2015 edition of our Leos had a lot of talent. But something was missing. It seems as if what was missing was confident leadership, clear expectation, and strong direction. Buono brings more of a managerial style to the Head Coaching position, setting broad direction and standards. It was needed. Buono's dual GM/HC role, his long record of success, which brings stature, and the buy in from his player vets/leaders brought positives. He's brought a new confidence to this Leos team.

But this is also a different Buono in some aspects. He sought advice in the off-season, brought in key free agents to fill holes like he never has before, and seems invigorated now that he is back on the sidelines. He also knew what this team needed for 2016.

2. THE OFFENSIVE LINE

A very important decision was made in the off-season was that our offensive line needed to be bigger, stronger, and more aggressive. We signed Levy Adcock to play right guard (325 pounds) and moved Olifoye to left tackle (325 pounds). The surprising development of Cody Husband as our new center (309pounds) has been a real plus. First round draft choice Charles Vaillancourt (329 pounds) started at right guard right out of training camp and the move of Steward to left guard (315 pounds) has given us a very athletic inside offensive lineman. Antonio Johnson and Kirby Fabian have started due to injuries to Adcock and Fabian. This offensive line, when all are healthy has the makings of one of the best Leo offensive lines ever. They have only played together for a short time and offensive lines need to gel. Still they have anchored the CFL's best rushing attack so far and they have also done a decent job of protecting Jennings. Our running game has really helped during stretches where our pass offence struggled. Our Leos have dominated fourth quarters in three of our four games as they have worn down opponents,

3. DEFENSIVE IMPROVEMENT

Its been our defense that has held us in games for long periods of time, until our offence was able to get untracked. We knew, going into this season, that we had an outstanding linebacking corps in Eliminian, Bighill, and Lokombo and quality defensive backs in Ronnie Yell, T. J. Lee, and Ryan Phillips. The additions of Mike Edem, Brandon Steward, and Louchez Purifoy have been difference makers to our secondary.

But the key to our defensive success so far has been our ability to shut down the run and to get better pressure on the quarterback. The key to stopping the run has been having all of our defensive lineman start the season in their natural positions. Westerman is back inside at tackle and Roh back outside at defensive end. With Brooks a force inside with his penetration, we've played the run so much better.

Secondly, we've also got better pressure on the quarterback. Alex Bazzie has had a great start to the season but the key reason for our better pressure has been more effective blitzing. Alex Bazzie has 4 sacks, Eliminian has 2 sacks, and Bighill, Westerman, Purifoy, Roh, Lee, and Palacio have one sack apiece. Pressure has come from a variety of areas of our defense and its really helped our pass defense.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)