2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

More than anything I think I'm curious to see how well filled those $25 seats in the top 8 rows o the endzones are.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Alputt
Champion

End zones looked pretty empty... We came early and had a great time at that beer garden at Terry Fox Plaza which was packed, I was surprised so many empty seats I thought based on the crowd around the stadium a near sell-out.

I think if we keep winning and Jennings brings some excitement the band wagon will fill up. I really think the game day experience is improved this year regarding off field stuff, the DJ, food, etc...
footballtom
Rookie

Alputt wrote:End zones looked pretty empty... We came early and had a great time at that beer garden at Terry Fox Plaza which was packed, I was surprised so many empty seats I thought based on the crowd around the stadium a near sell-out.

I think if we keep winning and Jennings brings some excitement the band wagon will fill up. I really think the game day experience is improved this year regarding off field stuff, the DJ, food, etc...

Good to hear did not make the game had to work gave my tickets to my neighbor said they had a great time inside and also outside the stadium . It was like a gathering party.

Hope the lions can keep it up.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hambone wrote:More than anything I think I'm curious to see how well filled those $25 seats in the top 8 rows o the endzones are.
Rough estimate is that no more than 25% of those $25 seats had fannies in them. That might be generous.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
footballtom
Rookie

Hambone wrote:
Hambone wrote:More than anything I think I'm curious to see how well filled those $25 seats in the top 8 rows o the endzones are.
Rough estimate is that no more than 25% of those $25 seats had fannies in them. That might be generous.

I heard 21,000 there should have been better opening night $5.00 12 and under . if the lions get a good win in Hamilton I think the next game against Toronto should be around 22,000

it is going to take time to grow this, I also heard that there was a lot of younger people there in there 20's - 30's good to hear.
Alputt
Champion

Saw a lot of 20 somethings partying and having fun in the beer garden. Group of a dozen or so "hipsters" sat behind us, obvious from their talk they were newbies. Guy across the aisle was a middle aged father, knew his football but is a Seahawks fan relearning the CFL game. Was standing and high fiving by games end. The future has potential...

Early days but this season could be a bounce year for the team and the fan base. Feeling optimistic.
footballtom
Rookie

Alputt wrote:Saw a lot of 20 somethings partying and having fun in the beer garden. Group of a dozen or so "hipsters" sat behind us, obvious from their talk they were newbies. Guy across the aisle was a middle aged father, knew his football but is a Seahawks fan relearning the CFL game. Was standing and high fiving by games end. The future has potential...

Early days but this season could be a bounce year for the team and the fan base. Feeling optimistic.

Great to hear I love the hawks also but love the cfl and the lions two , we can love both.
CardiacKid
Legend

London Drugs has kinda skirted around the edges of being an "active" partner with the Leos in the past. As a former LD employee, I have long thought that the relationship between the 2 organizations needed to be kicked up several notches. London Drugs is after all, a BC head-quartered company and is ubiquitous around the province.
Sell Lions branded stuff in stores around the province, they are the BC Lions after all. Have LD football camps around the province for under-privileged kids. Sponsor a bunch of the Leo's as health ambassadors for an active lifestyle. It could go on....
But I was pleased to see London Drugs signage around the stadium to a greater degree than before as well as advertising on the jumbo screen. I hope this means LD will working with the Leo's to a greater degree this year.
Alputt
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:London Drugs has kinda skirted around the edges of being an "active" partner with the Leos in the past. As a former LD employee, I have long thought that the relationship between the 2 organizations needed to be kicked up several notches. London Drugs is after all, a BC head-quartered company and is ubiquitous around the province.
Sell Lions branded stuff in stores around the province, they are the BC Lions after all. Have LD football camps around the province for under-privileged kids. Sponsor a bunch of the Leo's as health ambassadors for an active lifestyle. It could go on....
But I was pleased to see London Drugs signage around the stadium to a greater degree than before as well as advertising on the jumbo screen. I hope this means LD will working with the Leo's to a greater degree this year.
They had a pavilion/tent in a pretty prime location right near the TSN 1040 broadcast booth at the beer garden. I didn't bother to check it out, but it looked like they were doing a pretty brisk business...

I am a TELUS employee myself, and I was sort of glad to see they are still highly active sponsors. They were low key at the exhibition game last week so I was leery of a reduced sponsorship, but I think they are still a primary. Also Nissan and a few others...
footballtom
Rookie

Looks like tickets are selling not bad for a Thursday game.
David
Team Captain

footballtom wrote:Looks like tickets are selling not bad for a Thursday game.
First, I HATE excuses, but let's face it. It's a Thursday game against an Eastern opponent so I would expect a gate similar or even less than Week 1 against the Stamps. Also, this is a fickle market and it takes more than 2 wins to turn heads (unfortunately, even if they go 3-0, they go on the road for 3 games....perhaps the marketing message should be "see the Lions now before mid-August"?).

No doubt the front office would prefer the club was 2-0 and winning 45-28 than 28-3 and 20-18. A run-and-gun offense sells tickets, not a stingy defense.

I believe there is a military promo at the stadium on Thursday so they may be able to paper a decent crowd, plus the weather forecast isn't great.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
footballtom
Rookie

David wrote:
First, I HATE excuses, but let's face it. It's a Thursday game against an Eastern opponent so I would expect a gate similar or even less than Week 1 against the Stamps. Also, this is a fickle market and it takes more than 2 wins to turn heads (unfortunately, even if they go 3-0, they go on the road for 3 games....perhaps the marketing message should be "see the Lions now before mid-August"?).

No doubt the front office would prefer the club was 2-0 and winning 45-28 than 28-3 and 20-18. A run-and-gun offense sell tickets, not a stingy defense.

I believe there is a military promo at the stadium on Thursday so they may be able to paper a decent crowd, plus the weather forecast isn't great.

Yes I heard rain all week roof will be closed.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:

No doubt the front office would prefer the club was 2-0 and winning 45-28 than 28-3 and 20-18. A run-and-gun offense sells tickets, not a stingy defense.

For sure David. If there was a "throw away" game on the Lions schedule this is it. Clearly a TSN driven game and one of 3 Thursday night doubleheaders this season — as THE BRICK — has come on board as title sponsor for Thursday games. Lions hosted Montreal on a Thursday night in August last year and their 2013 home opener against the Argos was a Thursday too.

As you also pointed out, I can't recall the last time the Lions have had over a month gap between home games — thanks to three away and a bye week.

No $5 kids special but did find this deal out there although it expires tonight.

https://www.socialshopper.com/deal.php?id=9385
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:I can't recall the last time the Lions have had over a month gap between home games — thanks to three away and a bye week.
After Thursday, 30% of the home schedule (including preseason game) will be gone. But the Lions can reap the rewards of this schedule in the fall if they're still winning. They have five home games after Labour Day instead of the usual four, and they're all on Fridays and Saturdays, the last three against division rivals.
J5V
Rookie

Pretty small crowd will be at BC Place tonight. Sad considering it is a grey and drizzly summer night and they're playing in a world class indoor/outdoor stadium. Couldn't the Lions come up with anything creative for this Thursday night tilt ? Tickets are just simply too expensive to attract the family crowd. Should have extended the opening night $5 promotion for kids for this game too. With the 2-0 start I think this would have had a really decent response tonight.